Trying to find new lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find new lights

Ok so. I have 2x4x5 vivusun tent. I want to try some new lights out.
    I am looking at Mars hydro 600w (2 of them)
    Or Mars hydro 1000w just one of them.
    I will only be doing autos.
    so which would be better?
    Power consumption, yeild,ect.

I feel like 2 600w would give more ultimately and use more power.
    would the 1000w be good enough to still make fat dank nugs?

I am using vivusun 300w and some off brand that says 1000w on the ebay page but I'm pretty sure it's only 400. Or 800. Not sure but it's a cheap-o.

They are working ok but I'm using more power than I want to with the lights I'm using now.
    Thanks for the help.
    4x4 w/ Mars hydro fc-e4800
    1x Slapz
    1x Quikz
    2x red runtz
    1x flo-see
    1x 2B blunt
    1x persian pie

Hey there. I’ve always been under the impression two lights are always better than one big one. You’re getting two core coverage areas with high light intensity, vs just one hot zone.

I recently bought the TS600 from Mars. So far it’s been a great light and very efficient.
    Current Grow:
    • Amnesia Auto Fem (Advanced Seeds) (1 gal contestant)
    • NYC Diesel (Advanced Seeds)
    • Strawberry Cheesecake (Seedsman)
    ​​​​Nutrients
    • Dr. Earth Organic dry amendments
    • Bloom City Organic- Foilar Spray, Cal Mag, Silica Boost, and Root Stimulator
    • Incredible Bulk Organic Bloom Booster
    • Dr. Earth Golden Bloom Organic Flower Enhancer
    • Black Strap Molasses
    • Mega Crop all purpose nutrients
    • Flower Fuel bloom booster

Comment

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      I love my Mars Hydros. I run the tws2000 with an sp600 on 2 corners & a 1000w blurple (150 actual) on the other 2 corners.

More lights at slightly lower watts spread out - definitely. What ever you go with a decent rule of thumb for your tent size is probably around 300 watts from the wall. My opinion on led brands:

#1 HLG - top of the line, worth every penny
    #2 Spider Farmer - great bang for your buck
    #3 marshydro - excellent budget light
    #4 viparspectra (new 2020 model only) - runner up to Marshydro

Full Spectrum white beats blurple every time.
    *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
    ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
    *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
    *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
    You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

I think it all depends on what your trying to accomplish, and it depends a lot of factors.. like in your situation yes 2 600w leds would be better then 1 1000w but 1 1500 w led would be better then the 2 600w leds.. but mainly if the 1500w has a wide coverage
      a large portion of the equation is what’s your needed coverage which you said was 2x4 which any 1000w light should be plenty.. 2 600w probably way more then enough.. I’d say if you plan on 2 600w lights you should up your tent to a 4x4 area
      malaise my pick of lights would be
      #1 1500 yehsence (newer light company but really good for its price range low noise , low heat, low price,
      #2 viparspectra
      #3 mars hydro
      I based my pikes off of specs
      I’ve personally used the yehsence and I just love them wont be switching anytime soon.

Comment

Welcome, Hobbit
        Trying to figure out 'how much' light you need for a successful indoor grow is a vital component.
        This where the efficiency of the fixture creates confusion. The plants don't give AF about watts, what they 'eat' are photons of useable light energy(PAR)
        As long as you're able to supply enough food(PAR), the plant will thrive.
        This is where a simple metric will get you in the ballpark.
        50 watts(actual power consumed)/ sq ft of canopy for HID(HPS,CMH).
        50 watts/ sq ft for older leds(blurples)-HPS and CMH are actually more efficient.
        Now, this is where using current tech diodes offers a big jump in efficiency.
        They will produce the same light levels running at 30 watts/ sq ft of canopy.
        So, you have 8 sq ft of area to light.
        400 actual watts of economy leds or hps
        240 watts of current tech diodes like the lm301b

WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Daskahn
          Daskahn commented
          Editing a comment
          Gbauto said it better.. this is what I meant you need to figure out your needed coverage vs par requirements.. in general don’t look at the overall watts(600w) look at actual wattage the lm301b is a good one I just prefer my lights with built in fans but over all that’s why I went with a bigger single led because it had newer better tech in it yes it says 1500w but it’s actual watt is 285w one down side is when you get lights that powerful.. you might actually get a sun burn sitting below it trimming your leafs

• gbauto
          gbauto commented
          Editing a comment
          I've steered away from active cooling. That's the only mechanical part of the fixture that's subject to wear and failure.
          I find that designing a passive system to be able to operate within parameters in still air ensures that even if the circulation fan(s) in the grow fail, the light won't be damaged.

Have you looked into 315 CMH lights? I just got one for about $170 (U.S.) on eBay. Hooked it up (it came with a bulb and everything) and love it so far. It's only been a few days but I already have a feeling it's going to improve my grows drastically. You could get one of those for your tent and it may work better and keep your temperature fairly low. I just thought I'd mention it. Picture is everything that was included.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dphipps1020; 04-26-2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

I like my 2 450 vipars they would rock my 3x3x6
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Well they use to anyway LOL

So my mars hydro ts1000 made some decent buds. Still not 2x4 flower coverage.
        I'm thinking of spider farmer sf2000 or
        quantum board with lm301h 3500k 600nm uv, ir 240w

Would the lm301h be better than lm301b?
        my vivosun 300w (135w) works pretty good but not enough.
        now I have 2, 2x4x5 tents
        mars hydro ts1000 & vivosun 300w for one tent and a new light for the other tent
        1x Slapz
        1x Quikz
        2x red runtz
        1x flo-see
        1x 2B blunt
        1x persian pie

Comment

So many changes, when i first started yes it was 2 130watt draws from the wall was better than 1 do to spread. I'm not a light person as most you know so i reasearch what will work best within my budget like most folks i hope do. I have a 3x3x6 ft i'm looking at Maxsisun or a 315CMH still looking gotta talk to DingusKhan he's got that.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I wanna spend no more than 4hundo.

I think im try and get a kit. It will be cheaper than sp2000.
            something that at least pulls 240w
            1x Slapz
            1x Quikz
            2x red runtz
            1x flo-see
            1x 2B blunt
            1x persian pie

Comment

Ok so I have 4x4x7 tent now. I just ordered
            hlg 550 v2 rspec (refurbished) 640$ on the hlg site.
            im so excited. That's everyone for helping. Pushing me to learn what all this diodes and wattage stuff
            1x Slapz
            1x Quikz
            2x red runtz
            1x flo-see
            1x 2B blunt
            1x persian pie

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              How exciting so happy for you HobbitGDF good luck

• Drekthar
              Drekthar commented
              Editing a comment
              you wont be disappointed with the HLG they are awesome lights.

here's a little taste of my 4 plants under the HLG550. had 20 oz off the 4 plants on this grow under that fixture
            Attached Files
            3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
            New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
            Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
            5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• HobbitGDF
              HobbitGDF commented
              Editing a comment
              How far did you keep your light away during veg? During flower? I probably dont need to turn it up until them babies are a little bigger huh? I got it at 38inches up at about 70% maybe. I love it. Refurbished but hey I figure they fixed the issues now right.lol

• Drekthar
              Drekthar commented
              Editing a comment
              i think 18-20" was the closest i put the light in flower and I was around 30" in veg.

Few different lights discussed here, what are peoples opinions on two Mars Hydro TS1000 for a 2/4/6 ft tent?

Comment

• JDU
              JDU commented
              Editing a comment
              I think 2 Mars H TS1000s will fit that space nicely & make you very happy.

• HobbitGDF
              HobbitGDF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I had and it could use 2 of them like they said. One worked very good tho

JSH1973 I think they would be sufficient enough to get you some nice buds. For budget QBs though, it's hard to beat the deals on Viparspectra's P series. You could do 3 P1000s for $216 which gives you the same power but 3 panels for more spread and versatility. They also have built in weighted potentiometers which is a major plus in my opinion. You could get a pair of the150w P1500 panels which are equivalent to the Mars-Hydro TS1000 for only $204. Or you could bump up to 400w of power by grabbing two P2000s for $306, only $21 more than what you'd pay for the Ts1000 pair.

P1000 ($72 w/ coupon) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JVXHF6...ding=UTF8&th=1
            P1500 ($102 w/ coupon) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JVY569...ding=UTF8&th=1
            P2000 ($153 w/ coupon) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085W3LY4Q...ding=UTF8&th=1

Comment

I was actually looking at the VIPARSPECTRA ones first but got recommended to go with the Mars Hydro ones instead and I got them for 100 quid each so I'm happy enough... well I have to be as it is to late to change 😅
            Extraction fan and carbon filter is another jungle I'm trying to navigate at the moment.... This new hobby is adding up and I haven't even gotten started yet 😂

Comment

• JDU
              JDU commented
              Editing a comment
              If stealth isnt an issue you don't need a filter & any ole 9inch household fan will push the old air out & draw in fresh.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X