Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

660nm flower initiator (dawn/dusk simulation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

660nm flower initiator (dawn/dusk simulation)

Thinking of running an experiment - dawn and dusk simulation. Using a 660nm led only, turning on 15 minutes before main lighting then running an additional 5 minutes with main lighting. Then 5 min before lights out and 15 min after. Still keeping a total of 12/12. I can't seem to find any direct answer if I'm on the right path. From what I can find and my thoughts are that it helps the plant wake up and go to sleep being able to better spend energy on bud production. Can any one give any input or even just your thoughts. In terms of replicating nature it seems to make sense not sure if im entirely correct on my procedure. Thank you.
    *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
    ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
    *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
    *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
    You never know when you might need a little C4

Sounds like an interesting experiment. Your idea makes sense...wonder how it will affect the plant.
    Current Grow:
    • Amnesia Auto Fem (Advanced Seeds) (1 gal contestant)
    • NYC Diesel (Advanced Seeds)
    • Strawberry Cheesecake (Seedsman)
    ​​​​Nutrients
    • Dr. Earth Organic dry amendments
    • Bloom City Organic- Foilar Spray, Cal Mag, Silica Boost, and Root Stimulator
    • Incredible Bulk Organic Bloom Booster
    • Dr. Earth Golden Bloom Organic Flower Enhancer
    • Black Strap Molasses
    • Mega Crop all purpose nutrients
    • Flower Fuel bloom booster

Comment

This is called the Emerson effect. It allows for an extra hour, or so, of lights on with out messing up the circadian rhythm. Extra light = more yield. I have yet to try... but know about this subject.
      http://www.life.illinois.edu/govindj.../Chapter13.pdf
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually the emerson enhancement effect has nothing to do with phytochrome manipulation such as when using far red to alter light cycle potentials. Its manufacturers who badly associated far red with the emerson effect because they wanted to sell a product.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that @DrPhoton!! Always appreciate your input. Hope all has been well recently.

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea very good bud. Working over at another site these days. Only come over here for those who quote me. Appreciate your ambition to spread the right information.

Before i jump in. Can any one advise me - i have an all red 660nm led bulb. Based on my research dawn /dusk is approximately 30min. Should i add 30 min before and after of only red for a technical total of 13hr of light 11hr darkness or still do 30min but the main lights running for 11hr keeping the total at 12/12. Will it still flower? Will I get seed ?
      ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
      *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I only have a limited amount of information on this subject. Maybe DrPhoton will be kind enough to chime in here.
        From my understanding the lack of far red light right before darkness keeps the plants “awake” for some time, even after lights off. So you need 12 hours of darkness to keep from seeding or re-vegging.
        If you shine the far red for 30 min all by itself (simulating a more natural sunset spectrum) the plant is able to go to “sleep” right away. So you can do 13 hours of lights on and 11 hours of lights off with out causing those issues. The far red should be the only light source during the first 30 min of the 11 hours of lights off.

• Mrblu
        Mrblu commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what my research is looking like. The red shouldn't affect it seed wise because yes it is helping the plant wake up and sleep. But yes seeds or re veg would like to be avoided

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly. I hope drphonon is still around to chime in on this. He taught me everything I currently know about the Emerson effect.

I think I'm in the right path . I feel good about i . My last real concern i , is 660nm correct for what I am attempting? Yes i really hope someone can give a not to technical answer as to if im doing this correctly before i punch the clock on this one .

Comment

Toker1 thank you!!!!! that last link was exactly what i was looking for. A little technical for me but yeah i think i got the gist. So my 660nm would most likely not achieve the result im looking for. The juice is probably not worth the squeeze. However the uv t5 i saw in your set up. Is another venture im looking into, my efforts would yield better results going that route im thinking

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on! Yeah, I ended up ditching the red (660nm) t5 bulbs after that conversation you just read. I do still supplement my HPS with UV light though and the results have been great! Major increase in THC on the final product and more frost on my nugs. I do 15 min on and 2 hours off through out the lights on cycle. the T5 UV bulbs I bought were made by Agro max.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X