No announcement yet.

Should I get a different Led light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built this fixture using the boards and driver I referenced above for my 2x4 tent. Everything but the aluminum rails, screws, and eye bolts came from Amazon. The nice thing about this build is that it doesn’t require heat sinks for the boards. If you want I can give a parts list.
    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• Booger789
      Booger789 commented
      Editing a comment
      Send me a parts list for that if you don’t mind please and thank you.

• homegrown
      homegrown commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Obi-Wan How much does that light weigh approx? and what kinda heat does it put out? And are there different size panels? lol sorry for the list of questions... Something like that may work well in my tent with a low ceiling. If you dont mind i'd like to have a look at a parts list as well.. Thanks

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Those quantum’s are pretty slick lights.

When trying to fill a space with light I tend to go with more led boards at slightly less watts spread out, instead of one big light that claims to cover a whole space.
    *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
    ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
    *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
    *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
    You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

Thank you all very much. I decided to get the HLG550 V2 R spec. I’m sick of looking at light specs and reviews and I’m just glad to have made a choice. Compared with the Viparspectra TC1350 (608 watts), it uses 20% less power (480 watts) puts out a lot more usable light (verified), puts out less heat, has better canopy penetration (reviews), has no cooling fans so it’s silent, and more. And I think I’ll get at least 20% greater yields with it. When I first got the TC1350 I was really happy with it but the more I read, and after seeing how much heat it puts out I decided to swap. At first it didn’t seem TOO noisy but after hanging out in the same room with it for a couple of days I feel like there’s a freeway outside. One thing I didn’t like about it is the display. It’s really nice but is VERY bright. A bright blue led stays on all the time and I think it puts out enough light to be a problem so you would have to put tape over it. Then I found out that when you interrupt power during the dark period the display comes back on for like a minute or longer and then goes back off. You’d have to put tape over that display too because it’s so bright that I could see it coming through the vents from the outside. I don’t want to pay $500 for a light and have to put tape on it. Don’t get me wrong though, I do think it’s a really good light and is the best light in its price range. I just need something higher performance. Does anyone have any negatives about the HLG?

4x4x8 Gorilla tent
      HLG550 V2 R spec
      Hydrofarm JetFan 6” in-line fan
      Vortex Pro lite 6” carbon filter
      2 Vivosun oscillating pole fans
      Century 2 outlet digital timer for pole fans
      5 gal nursery pots
      Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil
      Fox Farm nutrient trio

Comment

I'm glad you made the switch. Can't lie, I have light envy. I almost pulled the trigger on another cheap $50 LED. But decided to wait and save. The TS 1000 is my next mile stone and that's final. I doubt you'll find any cons with that light. The ONLY potential con I've heard is that if you're foolish and keep a really hot grow tent, with very little airflow, and nothing blowing near the driver itself, you MAY experience premature driver failure. Any decent setup and that's completely out of the question.

Comment

Pics from cola 28 days into flower under my
          Mars sp250 this light is awesome
          Attached Files
          5x5 tent
          2000 watt Aglex cob series
          Mars SP250
          Six inch carbon filter
          Current grow 2 x ice cream cake, 2 x Torontonian Cookies 2 x shishkaberry and 1 x BC OG all reg​​ seeds

Comment

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE timer I can use for the HLG550?

Comment

• JDU
              JDU commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the $6 Walmart ones. Mechanical, 15min tabs grounded. Reliable so far but after a previous thread showing a melted one I'd say don't exceed the recommended usage.

How fancy does it need to be? The most reliable I've used have been the mechanical style, 15 amp ones with half hour intervals. Not fancy but I've used them around the house for years with zero failure.

Comment

dropinbiking thanks. A basic mechanical one will work fine I think.

Comment

The ones with the displays, and battery backup for holding cycles for power outages work great too, but they are 4-5x the cost, and I have seen them fail from humidity, getting dropped, or simply have strange issues after a while, or forget their cycle.

Comment

I use to build my own cob style lights from rapidled and growmau5. I get the growmau5 pucks and then get heatsinks on rails and 320watt driver from rapidled. Costs around 400 bucks. I was building them before they offered the 2x4 kits with the growmau5 pucks. I honestly feel like two of their 2x4 kits is more than enough to light a 5x5 space. I still build my own with the bigger rail set than the one offered in the 2x4 kit.
                  Last edited by Cloud; 01-15-2020, 07:23 PM.
                  640 watt hlg quantum board
                  320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
                  300 watt mars hydro sp3000
                  150 watt hlg quantum board
                  100 watt spider farmer led x2
                  organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
                  Water only i don't check ph
                  6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Cloud do you have any pictures?

Comment

Bad pics but there you go. My first build and now I do it different.
                      640 watt hlg quantum board
                      320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
                      300 watt mars hydro sp3000
                      150 watt hlg quantum board
                      100 watt spider farmer led x2
                      organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
                      Water only i don't check ph
                      6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Heythere Guest if I we're you i'd go with the HLG 550 red or the Optic slim 600H. My last grow of 4 plants with the HLG 550 i harvested 19.3 oz off 4 plants. I am thinking to switch to the Optic and send my HLG to a friend who is using 3 Vipar 450's as it will save a 3rd of power and produce better results. just my opinion
                        3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
                        New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
                        Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
                        5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X