If you listen very closely...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you listen very closely...

Interesting article about the noises that plants make when stressed. Make me rethink defoliating šŸ¤£

There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-P...s=books&sr=1-1

The Secret Life of Plants came out in the 70s; classic book!!
    Last edited by alltatup; 12-22-2019, 05:05 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      I havenā€™t tread that one. Iā€™ll send off an email to Santa and see if itā€™s not too late to make an amendment to my wish list.
      I had read yrs ago that putting bright read plastic sheets around the base of tomato plants caused them to make larger leaves and fruit. The theory...ā€plants detected the red reflection as being underachieving, compared to neighboring plants, and had to increase in size to be better than the plants beside it.ā€ (Iā€™m paraphrasing that comment)

While the theory implies a sentient awareness of its surrounding environment, the reality is that the bright red plastic sheets just reflected red light up into the underside of the plants leaves. Whether that was enough extra photons to cause larger fruit, or if the plant really is sentient of itā€™s neighbors growth, itā€™s interesting results would be worth investigating further.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      YYCannabis I think it's a little more complex than that, but I can't be scientific about my senses of the situation, because it's a sixth sense. There's this relationship that forms between the human caretaker and the plants. From seedling to curing buds; it continues to when I vape the bud. It's like Cannabis envelops me in a blanket of cannabinoids and terpenes, she really loves me and I love her.

Originally posted by YYCannabis View Post
    Interesting article about the noises that plants make when stressed. Make me rethink defoliating šŸ¤£

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...als-180973716/
    If you somehow collected all of the screams of agony that have emanated from living organisms over the 3.5 billion year history of life what a calamitous sound it would make. Echoing, and reverberating through the uncountable aeons, doesn't one long for a comforting silence? I just whacked a fungus gnat , but I do not give a damn if it screamed!

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are some deep thoughts. Iā€™m going to come back and reread this once Iā€™m medicated.

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaaand Iā€™m back and medicated....
      Always recite the following when squishing a bug: ā€œlet that be a lesson to the rest of ya!ā€ My grandma swore it worked at keeping ants and spiders out of the house.

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      This are very funny comments. Made me grin and chuckle out loud šŸ˜‚

starramus Such violence on the day of sabbath, and the bloviated verbiage is just what I needed LOL Thank you
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

They have always known plants make sounds. Just never had instrumentation that could define it. Welcome to the future.
      The noises are believed to be cavitation. If you have ever had the pleasure of listening to a pump experiencing cavitation then itā€™s not so amazing. Lol.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

My inner nerd/sadist is wanting to make a device to listen to the plants and make recordings. Then play it back on loop in my tent...kinda along the lines of ā€œThe beatings will continue until morale improvesā€ type of incentivizing to the other plants.
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Sort of a botanical Camp X-ray, or Abu Ghraib. I believe PaganRich has beaten you to the mark. His Amputation Alley is thoroughly immersed in blood curdling screams!

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          šŸ¤£
          I was thinking more along the lines of a Monty Python type of skit. Abu-Ghraib level would be inhumane even to weeds.

• PaganRich
          PaganRich commented
          Editing a comment
          YYCannabis starramus I like this topic and the way it`s going

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
        They have always known plants make sounds. Just never had instrumentation that could define it. Welcome to the future.
        The noises are believed to be cavitation. If you have ever had the pleasure of listening to a pump experiencing cavitation then itā€™s not so amazing. Lol.
        This phenomenon of cavitation is amazing beyond human imagination, and still a mystery. I have been researching sonoluminescence for a number of years. http://acoustics-research.physics.uc...oluminescence/

Comment

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          That is amazing stuff. I get me geek on to that kind of stuff šŸ˜

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          Right up my alley too

What a plant knows. Another great book to read. maybe now we can hear what theyā€™re saying to each other. Because they definitely communicate.

Comment

I wonder how they feel when I smoke their sister right in front of them then lol.

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
            LurkingInTheGrass commented
            Editing a comment
            I know it always seems to improve my mood šŸ˜

• stump
            stump commented
            Editing a comment
            me too lol

So now that Iā€™ve read this ā€œplant feel thing and makes noise crapā€. I went to go look at my plants and had a hard time thinking about KILLING THEM! Thanks for bringing that one up....šŸ˜”. Dang those Catholic schools

Comment

The only sounds my plants make are cries of shame and terror. I insult them and trim one of my other houseplants in front of them to show them what's coming. I call them bad names. Show them pictures of my last harvest. "Why can't you be more like Big Betha? You're pathetic! I should have pulled you as a seedling instead of your brother-in-the-pot. Bah! You call those trichomes? You think you smell like weed?"
            And so on.
            I don't have a physical outlet for whatever minor stress I have in a day so I trim, defoliate, LST and HST, until the burden is lifted from my shoulders.
            But I love my plants and they love me. They get nothing but the best fish squeezins from only endangered fish. They get the best light I can give them.
            I protect them from pests and diseases.
            I spend time with them. Tucking here, tucking there. Tickling the odd hair for a laugh. When I get down on them too much I always apologize profusely and give them extra squeezins. And I always cry THC tears when I harvest.
            I call my method High Stress Passive Aggressive Training. Or, HiSPAT. Maybe HiStrPaAggTr?
            But on a lighter note. How many divers or snorkelers are there in here? Underwater noises are varied. Mostly sandy bottoms are pretty quiet. Reefs, rocks, and walls are full of clicks. Swimming through rock arches is the clicking all around instead of in front or under you. It's like white noise at times.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

Answering the age old question about falling trees making sounds when no one is around to hear it.
              4x4 600w HID empty for summer
              3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
              2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
              running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Farmall View Post
                So now that Iā€™ve read this ā€œplant feel thing and makes noise crapā€. I went to go look at my plants and had a hard time thinking about KILLING THEM! Thanks for bringing that one up....šŸ˜”. Dang those Catholic schools
                Farmall Been there done that. https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ke-before-dawn

Comment

Wow, some deep stuff there sir....
                  ā€˜And in keeping with the Jim Morrison comments
                  My very first concert was in 1967 when I was 13. It was at Dinner Key Auditorium in Miami, Florida. The Doors... also deep stuff

after about 4 -5 songs he started with šŸŽ¼ Come on, come on, come on touch me, baby Can't you see that I am not afraid?
                  What was that promise that you made? Why won't you tell me what she said? What was that promise that you made?

Next thing he stops the song...he started to curse at the lighting crew and said ā€˜ you guys wanna kiss my ass? Maybe you wanna suck my assā€
                  when he turned around and took his pants off to moon the crowd, the cops rushed that stage and hauled him away.

was really cool listening to a few songs live from the albums we listened to back then but after that.the lights came on, show over.

Drove down to the Everglades and smoked my first joints with some older friends since we had nothing else going on that night

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                    Gingerbeard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My first two.
                    Tears for Fears one night. Iron Maiden the second. I wound up growing my hair long instead of going Goth.

• Farmall
                    Farmall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was probably an old guy already when that goth stuff evolved... me, I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan !!

• Gingerbeard
                    Gingerbeard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ed Sullivan and Richard Nixon were the same person.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X