Making Feminized Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Feminized Seeds

Hi everybody, I'm going to be making a variety of feminized seeds this winter and I thought maybe some of you would like to go along for the ride. I'm going to be doing autoflowers and photperiod plants that I've raised from feminized seeds. This is not really meant to be a tutorial but I will share pics and details all along the way so it might help some people. I won't be ready to do the photo plants for a couple weeks probably but I am ready to start the Autoflowers today.

The autos I'm using this round are both from Seedsman, one is their Lemon Auto (LA) and the other is their freebie Strawberry Cheesecake (SC) auto. I'm going to be spraying 50 ppm Colloidal Silver on just 1 branch of each of the two plants and hope to pollinate each other so LA pollen on SC fem and SC pollen on LA fem.

I could have made my own colloidal silver but I didn't feel like messing with it right now so I bought some from a well known company. It wasn't cheap at about $26 a pint but I pay that or more sometimes for 3 seeds so it should pay for itself many times over. Here's the SC plant and the tools I'll use. Anyhow, this plant has 1 branch that naturally split into 2 branches and lucky for me it is the lowest branch on the plant so I don't have to worry about my CS spray raining or dripping down onto any other part of the plant.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	RAfZIy8.jpg Views:	843 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	359054

First I laid the paper towel over the soil to catch any drips.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CCyLhqC.jpg Views:	720 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	359055

Then I used a crudely cut up design failure from the solo cup grow R&D dept. and used it as a shield to prevent any overspray then sprayed several pumps all over the end of the branch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bzs4AjC.jpg Views:	674 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	359056

I carefully remove the cup and paper towel and let it air dry without a fan in the tub for a couple of hours until dry then put it back in the tent. One plant down, 1 to go.

I did the same exact process to this LA plant
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4BSBKw9.jpg Views:	637 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	359057
    Click image for larger version  Name:	jOX3Ttx.jpg Views:	644 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	359058
    Click image for larger version  Name:	MqeW9Y8.jpg Views:	639 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	359059

I will keep spraying, taking pictures and updating this as I go along.
    Last edited by FunkyButtLovin; 08-19-2022, 08:25 AM.

Looking forward to it!
    2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
    2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
    2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
    2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

Hope you stabilized your mother before making the seeds. Otherwise, the genetic variation will be all over the place with those new seeds.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
        FunkyButtLovin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm mostly doing it for fun and experience, not trying to seriously create a new strain to hold onto or anything with these. I always have plenty of other stuff to grow but figure I will plant a couple of these outdoor next year just to see how they turn out. I haven't stabilized anything, I'm growing them from feminized seeds bought from seedbanks.If it works well great, if not it's no big deal at all.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        You will make seeds just fine. It’s easy to do. The only thing you will not be able to do is replicate the results (unless you clone the seeds as mothers). That’s why I recommend a stabilization process.

This is an upcoming project! I have the colloidal silver already, will be following
      I bet Bob Marley's mansion
      has a garden in the back
      Where he's growing something special
      Some celestial homemade hash
      we'll sit down on his front porch
      And listen to the angels band
      Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

I take clones and spray them to make the pollen, I can keep them in their own area, and take cuttings of mature flowers for the pollen. What I read about CS is ---> do not smoke the weed only use the seed! IDK IF it will be kept only to the parts you are spraying or spread throughout the entire plant. Be Safe!

Comment

Something told me 50 years ago, I wanted to get involved in gardening and I had bought this book. It was back in 1974. It’s old and written on something called a TYPEWRITER. However there are many chapter in it about growing supergrass and unrecognizable hybrids. I don’t know that is still available but it is interesting. This GRAFTING looks very interesting and easy. And Rwise, it does suggest that you cannot use the colloidal silver mother...only the off spring

Click image for larger version  Name:	E89B7704-41CF-4825-B953-086A1CC78AC4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	359176Click image for larger version  Name:	90582326-C5A9-453C-9F12-B6F854037B6E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	359175
          Last edited by Farmall; 12-21-2019, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes and all I am saying is be safe, do your homework and make your own choices!
            I tossed the plant and saved the seed.

• Korn
            Korn commented
            Editing a comment
            Know where we can score a free pdf copy of the book?

I will use the treated auto plants for edibles and will be throwing away the 1 branch per plant that has been sprayed. I took clones of the photo plants I am doing next and I am only going to spray the little clones for pollen then throw them away so that none of my photo crop will ever see silver.

Comment

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you ever see the guy on Oprah years ago who turned BLUE from ingesting silver?

• FunkyButtLovin
            FunkyButtLovin commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean the guy who drank it daily for years and then started slowly turning blue after he rubbed it on his skin everyday? Yes I know a bit about him. No I am not worried about any adverse side effects. I don't think what I plan to do is any more dangerous than getting fillings which puts silver, copper, tin and mercury directly in your teeth.

A quick shot of the 2 ladies and then a close up of each branch that has been sprayed just before this morning's spraying.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20191222_133634.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	359546

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191222_133731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	359547

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191222_133718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.75 MB ID:	359548

I'll try to get better close up shots in a day or two.

Comment

I can't say I understand all of this but it seems fascinating!
            A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I didn't realize it had been so long since the last post. The plants are both flowering now and I've been spraying them once or twice daily. Here's the newest pictures from last night, still can't see anything happening.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20191227_093514.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	360817Click image for larger version

Name:	20191227_093617.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	360818Click image for larger version

Name:	20191227_093656.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	360819

Comment

I've been misting once or twice daily still and we clearly have tiny nanners on the Lemon Auto branch, the Strawberry Cheesecake branch is developing really slowly and I wish I would have chosen a bigger branch but oh well, I'm not going to start a new spray site now. We should get a tiny flower with at least a couple of nanners out of it.

Here is the Lemon Auto on 1/30/2019
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20200103_024653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	362588

Here it is early AM 1/3/2020 after what might be it's final spraying.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20200103_024616.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	362589

I will try to get pics of the SC branch for the next update.
                Last edited by FunkyButtLovin; 01-03-2020, 04:57 AM. Reason: Edited to add, I'm sorry for the crappy resolution, especially on the 12/30 pic. It's been so hard for me to get a decent shot, I usually take at least 3 or 4 and these are the best I could get each t

Comment

I'm enjoying this thread, Funky. To improve your keeper rate on photos consider a cheap tripod. With close up shots the depth of field (depth of what is in focus) is very shallow. Shooting by hand, it's very difficult to get one in focus.
                  2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
                  2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
                  2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
                  2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

Here's a shot of the Lemon Auto today. The nanners have gotten a bit larger and are easily seen without magnification now. I am not spraying this plant anymore. I sprayed this plant 3-5 pumps every day for 14 days to get here.

Name:	20200104_184524.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	363091

Here's a shot of the Strawberry Cheesecake, it's starting to look kinda like nothing is going on which is what happened with the Lemon as the transformation was happening. I'm betting that we'll see the nanners in 2-3 days. This plant has been sprayed just as much just as often but the branch gets much less light and is slower to develop.

Name:	20200104_184808.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	363092

I will keep updating with pics and info. I should be starting a photo plant real soon that I hope to take more pics of to really show day to day what is happening so keep an eye out for the start of that if you're interested.

Comment

Thanks! One of my next projects.
                      I bet Bob Marley's mansion
                      has a garden in the back
                      Where he's growing something special
                      Some celestial homemade hash
                      we'll sit down on his front porch
                      And listen to the angels band
                      Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

Lemon Auto's sacs are growing. Tonight or tomorrow I will be isolating this one from the group and putting it under it's own light and no fan until the sacs begin to open.

Name:	20200107_122458.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	364021

Name:	20200107_122504.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	364022

Strawberry Cheesecake yesterday and today before it's final spraying. I will isolate this one as well in a couple more days a we get closer.

Name:	20200106_135918.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	364023

Name:	20200107_122840.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	364024

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                          SoOrbudgal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Very very cool thanks for sharing these.

• D.A.A.S.69
                          D.A.A.S.69 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looking great, FBL.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X