Drying while still in bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Drying while still in bucket

I’m wondering if there is a reason to cut down the plants to hang dry vs just emptying water from the reservoir and leave the plant (roots and all) in the bucket and moved to the drying area?
    Would that cause drying issues? What about cutting back the roots to the basket?

Cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

It will take a LOT longer. The more plant matter the more moisture. The reasoning behind cutting the plant and hanging in sections is to prevent mold and accelerate drying and improve airflow around buds. Hanging upside down is just easiest as buds on top are heavy and gravity. Sure you could leave it in the pot but i cant guarantee you wont have mold or it wont take 2-3 weeks to dry. I usually have mine jarred within a week of cutting down.

Comment

Howdy YYCannabis, ..... Like Tersky said....
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was possible. I hadn’t seen anybody mention it or ask the question.

Comment

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          Most recipes require you skin them first. And you can't boil of their hair like a chicken. It doesn't work.

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Recipe? Hmm... a buddy 'jokingly' used to refer to cats as the other, other white meat.
          I dare anyone who reads this to google 'cat recipes'. Get back to me when you do.
          Don't tell alltatup.

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          Cat meat is definitely not white. And neither am I, so I get to know this on a personal, cultural level.

Kinda like the Inuit are still legally permitted, in certain times of the year, to go out and harpoon whales from kayaks, or something like that.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat means there are many ways to do something, there are many ways to achieve a goal. The oldest known use of the phrase dates back to 1854, in the work ’Way down East; or, Portraitures of Yankee Life by Seba Smith. However, there’s more than one way to skin a cat has its roots in older, similar phrases such as there are more ways to kill a cat than choking it with cream, found in the 1830s. It seems that originally the animal in question was a dog, as a seventeenth-century proverb is there are more ways to kill a dog than hanging.”

I copied this from https://grammarist.com/phrase/more-t...to-skin-a-cat/

Comment

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have to duct tape over it's claws. Tape the front legs together and the back legs together. Then all four together. Wrap it's head in tape except for it's eyes so it can see what's coming. And just man up with a couple feminine hygiene products so I don't get sprayed or pooped on. There might be pulling of hair from the tape. But a few pulled hairs would not be the very worst thing.

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! You could do quite the suspense-build-up, its starting to sound like a really cool 30-40 minute video. The kind that make content providers a lot of money.

I used to work in an emergency room, though unfortunately, before the days of the internet and video recording in your pocket. But I bet some of our most interesting cases started like this.

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Now we're getting into the dark web fetish videos. Big money in those. Merchandising would be huge. Cat ass wipes would be at all the Spencers and infomercial'd at Christmas, starting in May. Specialty cat tape. T-shirts with a bound and dirty cat. Maybe have a piece of cat stuck to the bottom of your shoe after you make boom-boom.

Sooo.... the copious amounts of ice cream my wife has been feeding me since our last argument may not be born of kindness?

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends, are you a cat? XD

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Another old saying: "Ice cream in the morning, pot growers take warning."

• PaganRich
          PaganRich commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup I like that

Wow, ATU. I can't believe you went there. Making fun of a child with obvious developmental issues who probably will succumb to your foresight.
        Okay. Let's stop. You win. Cats are great. The only cat picture I could show that would be out of line would be a cat vivisection. Everything else would be cute. But even I have my limits.
        Tsk-tsk-tsk, ATU.
        Tsk-tsk-tsk.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          At least she didn't post a picture of that child doing cat vivisection. Now THAT would be an avatar. If you don't, I might. Someone will.

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Evil, am I? You might be the first person to call me evil. Bad, yes. Evil, no.
          I love a good challenge. Call me Screwtape.

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          I would prefer Screwtape.
          There's something that I can't find with a google. Wiping my ass with a cat. Myriad information about wiping a cat's ass. Nothing about wiping an ass with a cat.

Whoa alltatup, dearie. Let's start laying down some blame, you wanna throw down some blocks.
        YYCannabis started the thread.
        Tersky for mentioning more than one way to skin a cat.
        DingusKhan for recipe ideas.
        smoorman for bringing up cat ice-cream.
        And everyone for perpetuating the conversation.
        And you, my dear Miss atu, have as much blame for wanting me to get blocked as anyone. You slandered me. Threatened me. There was a brief possibility I was almost going to shed a tear at your bullying. Why is everyone always unloading their problems on the ginger?
        If there's anyone I forgot to throw under the bus, sorry about that.

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          Yo bruh, dont bring me into the hole you dug. I just thought it was a weird saying when i thought about it!

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta fill that hole with something so I can get out.
          THAT is possibly the greatest thing I have ever said about shirking responsibility!

This one is going to be a doozy.

A little gingered up Beatles, to start:

I'm fixing a hole where the blame gets in
        And stops my mind from acceptance
        I am not to blame

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right
        Where I belong I'm right
        Where I belong.

Let's see what else.
        YY's lack of knowledge about the contents of the can is a dubious and anything including a genie should have been expected.
        Your memory of Tersky's statement is confabulation and neurosis.
        Control of DKahn surreptitiously would make me Wormwood. I prefer Screwtape.
        No, smoorman is smart enough to understand we're all medicated.
        Broaden your horizons on new food. That is a ginger root.
        The only mention I made about injury to a cat is a vague reference to vivisection. Not actual violence. You listed 14 violences to a cat. Wiping my ass with a cat does no harm to the cat and they're always preening themselves and puking it out, anyhow. The only one I've done by now... uh... mentioned is the ass wipe. Therefore, you should remove the action from your list as it is an apple in a bin of oranges.
        You, however, have threatened me with great blender injury and to turn me into toad dust (you snort it like lizard dust, duh.) Threatening to pull my good friend PaganRich into our conversation is poor form. Might as well threaten to tell my mommy.

If you block me, I will talk about you behind your back. If I knew I could block people, I'd be reading, like three other people's posts. You all know who you are.
        See the people standing there who disagree with me and never win
        And wonder why I pull them in my hole
        So I can climb out that way
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• PaganRich
          PaganRich commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup Gingerbeard I always thought `Skinning the cat` was a reference to when a woman had a Brazilian waxing
          Last edited by PaganRich; 12-10-2019, 03:16 AM.

While all this has been very entertaining to read, I have had very little feedback to my original post.

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sorry YYCannabis i never meant for this. I tried to help you best i could and thought i'd add a little humor but it seems this thread has been hijacked. Sorry man.

Sorry YYCannabis. I'm to blame for the segue.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Answer to original post: I agree with whoever it was to say that you should not dry in your bucket.

You COULD cut your plant down at the stalk in one piece and hang it up, but it would take very very long, the middle wouldn't dry completely, might mold.

If you left if in the bucket, even if you drain it out, it would take forever to dry out, some of the roots would die, some remain alive, and a lot of it will rot. I'm sure having your buds still attached to rotting root ball can only end badly. But who knows, someone may chime in to say that they've been doing it that way for years.
          Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

smoorman started this topic...
            Does anyone have experience harvesting a plant and instead of hanging upside down, have it standing up like a Christmas tree? How about cutting the bark all around down near the dirt level a couple weeks before harvest? I'm a few weeks from harvest and just thinking ahead. Thanks

This might be too much small work on a small stalk. Here's a snippet from the forest service about cutting the cambium layer around a tree trunk, notching.
            Notching involves
            cutting
            a deep
            ring
            through the bark and a half-inch or more into the sapwood, completely encircling a
            tree
            . This method
            will
            halt the flow of nutrients and water from the roots to the crown of the
            tree
            and
            will kill
            the
            tree
            quickly.

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure why that's showing up like that.

Roots would dry up and die. This dead plant material would attract mold, bacteria, and other pests. Removing the desirable parts of the plant from the undesirable parts ensures a clean pest free final product.
            4x4 600w HID empty for summer
            3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
            2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
            running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

YYCannabis i was just able to get online to read this cornucopia of creativity but....to get to your post about cats......🤪

cut your stems so there are individual buds on each length of stem. Keep them several inches apart to insure airflow and you will be much better off as you have some nice dense fat buds and you’ll need every bit of the week. I also have my greatest successes by wet trimming, cutting of the buds trying to keep any of them smaller than 3” in length for the bigger fat ones and just covering the bottom of brown paper grocery bags for 5-6 days. Each day I rattle the bags to ‘stir’ up the contents. I then will jar and burp for several weeks and eventually toss a boveda 62 in each jar. And once again....thank you D.A.A.S.69 for detailing this drying technique 👍

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X