Drying a plant Xmas tree style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying a plant Xmas tree style

Does anyone have experience harvesting a plant and instead of hanging upside down, have it standing up like a Christmas tree? How about cutting the bark all around down near the dirt level a couple weeks before harvest? I'm a few weeks from harvest and just thinking ahead. Thanks

Never heard of this. What's effects is this technique supposed to have. Really courious!!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I use to have a taller "she shed" we'd hang upside down by roots whole plant maybe took of all large fans but nothing much else folks said it helped slow down drying? Hung for a couple wks that way. It was more work hand trimming that plant so now for years I been cutting into sections or branches get most large leaf off outdoors and wet trim( green) inside hang them to dry that way. I've got mold from the old way, not so much this way.

I would expect it to dry a little quicker than upside down. Cutting the bark would cause it to dry out because of no moisture/nutes getting up to the plant itself. Just a thought.

Comment

i think the upside down idea is to dry the bud slowly..keeps the moisture in the buds. I think standing up the buds would be the first things to dry..probably get crunchy.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought this too for a while but i read some studies that said it didnt matter as the buds did not rely on gravity to get the moisture. The buds basically soaked the moisture from the stems like a sponge would. Really hanging is just easier as gravity will pull the heaviest part of the plant downwards (buds) but you could hang it upright and still get the same effect. That said, in order to to that it would take me more time to tie the branches than to hang them in my drying setup. PS Know im late to the party! Sry!

dont girdle the bark . thats not stress its mean.

Comment

I believe the reason plants have always been hung after harvest is more for convenience than anything. I like cutting and hanging branches vs the whole thing. Can adjust how much branch to bud and allows more control over the dry. Slow is good.
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Will do standard harvest with as little branch material as possible but enough to moderate the speed of drying. I will not girdle the plant. That does seem a bit cruel especially considering the plant givith so much to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gluteous View Post
            I believe the reason plants have always been hung after harvest is more for convenience than anything. I like cutting and hanging branches vs the whole thing. Can adjust how much branch to bud and allows more control over the dry. Slow is good.
            Hung upside down is the most effective way. Heat rises and will dry buds more than the plant stems etc. 🙂

Comment

I cut off each cola, trim it, then hang it upside down. Once they are dry, all I have to do is cut the nuggets off and jar them.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep I do the same as Kingfish does now.

I think we do it the SoOrbudgal does it because it yields the best dried pot, and its easiest to hang lots of it by string..

Also, I think it would be really difficult to nail a couple of sticks across the bottom of the stem to stand her upright, like a real christmas tree. Does anyone have any methods to stand them upright?
              Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

A friend insists it is better for the plant to die standing up. Me, I think his bud is on the harsh side and lacking in flavor/aroma, he likes it and it is his so,,, he also claims it to be stronger in THC. I would need tests,,,,

Comment

I disagree with the idea that plants will dry out faster if they were standing straight up.

If that were true, if you stood them upright, you would see liquid water pouring out from the bottom of the stalk.

Since that is not what happens, the only other way that the water can exit the plant is to evaporate throught the skin.

Evaporation cares not at all about gravity.
                  Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X