Drying question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying question

When drying freshly cut plants there are two factors to a quality drying: Temp and humidity

My drying space humidity avg for 24 hrs is 45% and my temp avg is 12C. I’m running a small 6” fan blowing directly across a large bowl of water just to keep the RH where it is and to keep some air movement.

It’s my temps that worry me. What difference do cooler temps make in drying compared to warmer (23-25C) temps? (In regards to turps and flavors)

Cheers
    YYC

Click image for larger version  Name:	38230C2D-8725-4173-AF67-14EAF35924CC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	353832
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

I’m drying in ~65F temps with 45-50RH on average. I’m curious, too, how lower temps affect the drying process. I’ve heard that drying over 70 causes a loss of terpenes.
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

YYCannabis
      drying at 12c isn't that bad just keep some air moving away from your plants as your moisture evaporation will happen slower and mold can catch you if not careful. drying cannabis has three factors TEMP, HUMIDITY, AND TIME.

s62t
      Has your grow tent got above 70f?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Terpene-Chart-copy-2.png Views:	43 Size:	356.6 KB ID:	353902
      Last edited by Mr.furley; 12-01-2019, 03:36 PM.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic guide! Doesn’t appear that any of those specific terps cook off at 70F. I wonder which do, if any. I can’t remember who told me over 70F was no bueno on here...
        Then again, I guess if you can smell it, it’s losing terps. And yes, my grow tent hits 73-75 on average. I’m sure I’m losing some there, but minimizing is the name of the game.
        Should I not be drying at 65-68F?

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        Your temperatures are just fine, it is the three thing that come together to form the perfect conditions.

I don't remember what terpenes you are referring to although I remember seen something once and saying to myself "that one's a gonner in my tent"
        I run 65 to 72f for night time and 72f to 76f daytime.

Mr.furley Thanks for the graphic.

Comment

I believe you keep drying under 70F and 55RH because all of the liquid oils will harden up faster and you retain the more of the desired qualities in the final buds that way. Over 70F will keep the desired oils in a more liquid state for a longer period of time. That’s where the loss of terps come into play.
        It’s not just about vaporization... although that can effect the process as well, it’s the drying process for the plant material interaction with the drying of the oils on the plant material.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• s62
          s62 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for this explanation!

Great information.

Comment

Drying my current harvest in a closet with a small fan and a humidifier keeping things at close to 70 F and 50 RH. 3days and not ready to jar yet. maybe a couple 3 more days.

Comment

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds just like what I’m doing; literally the same, except I’m using a larger free-standing fan. My closet has hanging doors, so I’ve placed the doors in the middle together so that there is an opening to the left and an opening to the right, with the doors overlapping and blocking out the middle. It ensures the buds can hang in the darkness even if the light is on in the room. I use blackout curtains to keep the room dark 85% of the time.
            I use my fan to exhaust air out of the right side, thus creating a (very mild) negative differential; this means fresh air gets brought in and across the buds from the left to the right. The temp ranges from 65 - 68 and the RH is on average 48-50 (I’ve had a few swings, so as low as 44% and as high as 55%; usually, however, it’s a lot closer to 49 on average).
            I use a small humidifier to make 4-7% shifts in RH, and I rely on manipulating an HVAC (fortunately a smaller secondary zone for a different floor) to set the general RH to 50%-ish.
            It’s imperfect, but surprisingly good. I’m glad it’s functional, because I can then use my tent as a perpetual grow without needing interruption for drying.

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            sounds about as good as it gets.s62 without spending a bunch or too much trouble. And with that beautiful grow you just completed I am sure the quality will only get better.

i just dried a plant in 72F steady and avg RH 55% or less. after the first 2 days RH was fairly consistent at around 45%. my sm stems never snapped mu buds were a little on the dry side after day 4 but the trichomes were still full and not withered or falling off and the smell rich. when i jared it the RH read about 50% in jar after 24hr. added an 8g 62% boveda and RH is up to 56% after 24hr. my experience cooler and dry is far better than warmer and dry.
          *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
          ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
          *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
          *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
          You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will save a fresh stem from harvest in a baggie in the fridge. When I accidentally over dry I stick a fresh stem inside the jar and raise the RH.

I have a spare bath downstairs that stays around 70 degF and 65%RH. I hang whole plants that have had a basic wet trim to remove fan leaves in the shower until the stems crack. I then buck the plants and do a dry trim and then into paper grocery bags for a few days to let the moisture level stabilize and then the are jarred and ready for curing.
          Last edited by gbauto; 12-02-2019, 06:12 PM.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Sounds like I shouldn’t worry too much about temp. Still struggling with temp but the weather outside has warmed slightly so I can now get temps in the upper teens. Humidity day average is 49%. My little plant has been hanging for 7 days. No snapping twigs yet. Not sure if I should just buck-n-jar the stuff or let it ride a few more days.

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              But it's your 1/8th.

• s62
              s62 commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, it’s mine. I’m am owed!

• JohnEmad
              JohnEmad commented
              Editing a comment
              That snapping twig thing has not worked well for me yet. When I have waited that long the buds are closer to 50-55% RH when jarred. I go by feel and look and get it closer to 60 but usually 65-70%. after reading the guides saying too dry is worse then slightly high rh I will go high and leave the jar open for longer periods until the desired humidity is reached.

Decided to purchase another small tent to both start plants and dry recent harvests. Much easier to control the climate then a closet, including smells.
            A fellow sold this to me for less then half price after growing 1 plant in it. Mars Hydro tent sized 2' 5" x 2' 5" x 5' 3". Perfect for growing 1 small auto or a well trained photo.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea JohnEmad I saved my 3x3 when I bought my new 4x4x7 and use it for seedlings, vegging. But mine sits outdoors on a screened in patio year round I don't grow out there in winter for flowering it's in the house for the 4x4. I lost a jar of WW this season do to mold, really made me mad at myself cause I think it was on it and I didn't see it when harvested just carried it through the jar cure. Yes leave them open longer, winter is tricky.

• JohnEmad
              JohnEmad commented
              Editing a comment
              Losing a jar if WW. uggh! .that hurts after all the effort and care put in. Admit to some envy with you outside growers though. I will figure a way to join that club soon I hope.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X