She’s too tall for the tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She’s too tall for the tent

So... I’m sure someone has run into this issue before. This is my first time growing and My plant is growing up too close to the grow lights. I am in week 3 of flower growing in a 3x3x5.75 ft tent with a 300 watt led full spectrum grow light. I had to delay flowering because I went to Cuba and didn’t want the first or second week of flower to be under someone else’s care. So I just let it continue to veg. This has proven to be a mistake as she has now doubled in size and I can’t raise my light much higher.

I have now moved my light to the edge of the tent as high as it can go and angled it towards the plant. She seems to be doing well and the lower buds are really enjoying the new additional light. However it is a pain in the neck because I’m rotating the plants every two hours or so to keep all sides getting light.

does anyone have a solution besides bending it? I am thinking of moving it to a walk in closet. I will still be able to get a fan on it but no ventilation or carbon filter will be possible.

thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E725D14-FDF6-49FE-BA57-483502EE936F.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	352823Click image for larger version

Name:	7F84A60A-03F1-4E7C-9914-97EC9693BA36.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	352824Click image for larger version

Name:	54A5B313-0F62-44D9-BA8F-FB60D32CA074.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	352825Click image for larger version

Name:	514A0622-26F1-4DC4-B76A-3C005CB6F2C3.png
Views:	358
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	352826Click image for larger version

Name:	0286BEF3-FF10-4205-AD52-883B06021E18.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	352827
    Attached Files

Your best solution at this point would be some LST to bend the girl over. Attach a cord to let you pull the top of the plant over-it will fold over quite a bit before the stem cracks.
    The other option(which is what I would do) is a HST bend on the main stem at the lowest point that the stem is still pliable. Not ideal to do in flower but I think that you'll ultimately get a better yield by having a flatter canopy. That will maximize what your light can do.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Take a look at a few training methods.
      This simple plant training guide teaches you how to increase yields indoors by up to 40%! Learn how to prevent cannabis from growing small or airy buds.
      αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

This a prime example of where some training techniques can give you a manageable grow space.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Supercropping that girl about 4 branches down from the top.
          Super cropping is easy, free, and surprisingly effective at getting your current grow room to produce bigger yields in the exact same setup. Find out exactly what to do right here!

Name:	20190413_230352.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	352848
          pinch and squish the stem till you can fold it over then tie it down to hold it flat

Space for Rent.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            What MrFurley said .Supercrop.
            I don't believe she's gonna get much taller, you could get another light for the other end of your tent, if you dont supercrop.

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            I would do the supercrop at the very least LST would be great also if your not comfortable squeezing the stalk to soften the tissues so you can bend it.

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah -:What they said.

Here is one I supercropped. If you enlarge the second pic you can see how the buds turned upwards and became many fat buds. But the first pic is what the stem should look like after a few days of bending it.

Name:	image_88647.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	352898

Name:	image_88648.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	352899
          You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.
            this is my first time growing anything so I really didn’t want to get into training. I found this seed in some flower I bought and things just spiralled from there.
            i didn’t even top this plant. as a newbie I was just happy I was keeping it alive. I wish i had topped it a couple of times and I wouldn’t even have this issue. I also did not anticipate the stretch of a foot when switching the light schedule.

you guys haven’t steered me wrong yet. The nutes I bought have already made a huge difference.

im likely going to Try and bend it down LST ... here’s a stupid question. Which way do you bend it.? Find the side with the least amount of buds and bend it slowly ove that way??

thanks again.

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep Bender to a hole.

hey Newguy36 , i was in same predicament last week..couple of stems on one girl were stretching up out of canopy so i took the advice of oldjarhead100 , Rwise SoOrbudgal SirSmksAlot , Drekthar D.A.A.S.69 RagWeedDWC and quirk ..Thanks everyone! I supercropped the 3 stems.. and it worked perfectly..I would try Mr.furley suggestion and bend that main stem just above the group of buds. That should give you another 5-6 inches to lights and also give the lower buds some more direct light. good luck
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

outdoor
            Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
            Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

Not to mention that your plant is probably not done "Stretching" and she may give you another foot so be prepared.
              Space for Rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Newguy36 View Post
                So... I’m sure someone has run into this issue before. This is my first time growing and My plant is growing up too close to the grow lights. I am in week 3 of flower growing in a 3x3x5.75 ft tent with a 300 watt led full spectrum grow light. I had to delay flowering because I went to Cuba and didn’t want the first or second week of flower to be under someone else’s care. So I just let it continue to veg. This has proven to be a mistake as she has now doubled in size and I can’t raise my light much higher.

I have now moved my light to the edge of the tent as high as it can go and angled it towards the plant. She seems to be doing well and the lower buds are really enjoying the new additional light. However it is a pain in the neck because I’m rotating the plants every two hours or so to keep all sides getting light.

does anyone have a solution besides bending it? I am thinking of moving it to a walk in closet. I will still be able to get a fan on it but no ventilation or carbon filter will be possible.

thanks in advance.

Name:	6E725D14-FDF6-49FE-BA57-483502EE936F.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	352823Click image for larger version

Name:	7F84A60A-03F1-4E7C-9914-97EC9693BA36.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	352824Click image for larger version

Name:	54A5B313-0F62-44D9-BA8F-FB60D32CA074.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	352825Click image for larger version

Name:	514A0622-26F1-4DC4-B76A-3C005CB6F2C3.png
Views:	358
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	352826Click image for larger version

Name:	0286BEF3-FF10-4205-AD52-883B06021E18.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	352827
                How's about a new tent? Amazon has a number of 80 inchers. (is that a word?...no) Vivosun is quite the reliable tent manufacturer. Sorry I didn't read through all of the posts so this might be a duplicate solution.

Comment

Here’s a stoner thought, a display turntable....you could even add some ballerina music that plays like a giant music box. The light will hit all sides....

sorry, just busting chops but the super cropping is really your best bet. Being a big as she is, you may find if you wrap a thick cloth over the jaws of a pair of pliers, you can gently crush the stem around the circumference to soften it not break it and that will help the bend.
                  there are two training techniques that take no effort: topping and tying and they will increase your yield significantly over the Christmas tree shape.... although, the holiday season is approaching

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like that idea Farmall little spin on the old gal LOL, great picture in my head.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X