Mutations, Crappy Seeds, or What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutations, Crappy Seeds, or What?

Is it just me, or are other growers seeing more mutations like twisted leaves, bi-colored leaves (that looks like TMV but only appears on a couple of leaves), runts, and plants that just don't grow right?

The reason I think it's not me is because one or two other plants in the same reservoir will be growing just perfectly. But for example, I've had trouble growing a Dutch Passion White Widow on the last 3 or 4 tries, and I ended up pulling 2 of them out to make more room for the other plants. Humboldt Seed Org's Dr. Greenthumb's EmDog (sposed to be up to 27% THC): I grew one, it was runty, and the other two just petered out (Sensible Seeds replaced the 3-pack).

It makes me wonder about the age of some of these seeds, and about breeding practices in this new era of explosive growth in the industry with millions of people buying seeds worldwide.

I want to know... Is it just me????
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Used 5 Bubba Cheese seeds and never produced a flower. 2 never popped and the other 3 shot up to 24 inches before they had 4 nodes. Then a bout with WPM - I lost. Tossed the 3 out after about a month - about 40 inches, lanky nothing leaf growth only on top - they looked stupid and like I was wasting my time.

And these seeds were from one of my favorite producers - Humboldt Seed Company. I've grown Sour Diesel, OG Kush and Bubba Kush from Humboldt with great success.

These were purchased from True North Seeds - I complained and all they said was that I electronically signed a waiver which stated that they weren't responsible. Guess it was signed on the way to the checkout.

So that's why I recently bought from Crop King Seeds - they guarantee 80% germination rate, so long as you follow their paper towel method. Plus they are the seed producer.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like Humboldt, too, but I'm gonna talk to them directly if I don't get better results with the new seeds.

i do have the yellow mutation on a single leaf on two of my GSC backcrosses, one is a wild branchy sativa and the other is a purple stem indica resembling the original GSC, the parents doesnt have that mutation, i believe only the GSC grandfather does

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      This is your breeding, right? Are there more mutations around these days, and why????

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, but the genetics i started with are somebody else's work, i noticed out of the 15 f2 i germinated only the best two plants have that mutation, i used the best one to back cross with the mom and thats where i am, im curious if the next generation will show it more

What's going on with seed quality and breeding?????
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      for the past few years pollen chuckers have ruined the genetic pool available to growers, thats my opinion anyway, ive been working on this amateur breeding project for over two years and im only on the second cross, i started with 5 crosses of mystery females with GSC male, i selected the best pheno of the best strain to be the mom, the best pheno of the second best strain to feminize, that gave me a bunch of f2, now the best f2 is being backcrossed with the f1 mom and i will repeat for another two generations before i can say a strain is really mine. this takes years and a lot of effort, many growers only buy females and cross them with the single male they got and sell the seeds, thats a pollen chucker

My current mutation. Ignore the light burn...had a sucky LED, running 2x 85 cfl now and she loves it!

Comment

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      had the same thing weird

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      The Rusty Glue I have did this, I made clones!

Good morning GWE it's just me the zombie insomniac at this point. Second night of 0230 and still going to work pressing on. Shit time of season for me no matter what I do or don't do, feel guilty calling in so I don't feel like shit for the 10hrs i'm there. Damn....oh well here's my own rant of opinion on my seed misfortunes this current grow, which is an outdoor grow but still it's about the seeds and either no germination or seedlings growing for a few weeks then go to flower and stall? Runts, old seeds i'll never know. What I do know is in years past when I never bought seeds just used what other growers gave me or I saved from herms I hardly ever had one NOT germinate. I also knew it was 50/50 chance M or Fem.
    But this season I bought fem. seeds photos and autos, seedsman, barneys, nirvana and new420guy. I'm just a rec. grower, yes I like good honest realiable breeders who wouldn't?? I've adjusted my grows to the strain, changed up alittle at how I grown to accomadate these new hybrid crosses. From what i'm seeing this year outdoor photos are way below from past grow yields. My 1 out of 6 autos was good, 1 critical kush is a flop of a plant but I gotta keep it. But i'm not thrilled at all how these are so slow to flower something is "retarding" the seeds growth. I'm going to need to start indoor sooner than planned do to low volume. I'm leaning toward sloppy breeding but I don't know shit about it other than that. Peace and Good growing
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      WTF is going on!!!??? I think it has to do with the market explosion.

Chalk me a mark on the "I don't know shit" about this column, but my gut is telling the quality of the seeds are going down. I found a old 35mm plastic can with about 20 bag seeds in it. I used them to test a aeroponics system. Out of 6 seeds all sprouted, and I mean big healthy plants, I destroyed them because they were not "Quality" seeds and I had acquired some Girl Scout Cookies. These seeds all sprouted, but did not look near as healty and rapid growth as the bag seed. Not a good yard stick to judge by, but again my gut tells me the old bag seeds were "Vigorous" then the new high volume seeds, regardless of the breeders (At least those I have used).
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I'm concluding, too. The breeders are panicking to get their shit out on the market, and shit it is.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree

It's not just you. I'm seeing the same things. Out of 6 i have right now 3 are runts and have weird leaves. WW from Miisty of Cannabis, and Crit. 2.0xl from Garden of Green. 2.5 weeks in and they are way too small.

Comment

I've been having the same problem.. lots of runts an quite a few hermies tbh... I' had the same problem with the em dog. 9ne grew like shit an 2 other seeds they sent were white.. looked immature an didn't sprout all 3gsc fems were all males. My next order is going to be from ethos .. there a little expensive but from what I hear really good quality... also 2 of these ones I grew last time threw nanners quite early ... I. Just foliar sprayed them twice a day an picked them off an to my surprise theres not 1 seed.. anyone else ever have this problem? Well I guess turned out not to be a problem.. but was LOADED with nanners... an not 1 seed.. couldn't believe it
      Visit my current grow at
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...227-s-5th-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...227-s-4th-grow

Comment

I’ve noticed some genetic mutation and abnormal growth over the past 2 years. I chalk it up to increased demand for seeds due to the increase in legalization in North America. I transitioned back to running photoperiod clones this year in an effort to minimize how often I’m affected by it. If I can get 1 keeper from a 5 pack of seeds I can get fair value back from the purchase. There is just no consistency in seeds right now. Widespread commercialization will always lead to more issues and problems, add to that the secondary bastardizing that is occurring by novice breeders looking to make a quick buck and we are all left with inferior genetics.

Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          That's exactly what I'm concluding, and voiced above. I wonder how many millions of people are buying seeds right now???

I am looking for a few seed myself, and what I dont like is finding the description saying Hybrid 1 X Hybrid 2 makes Hybrid 3. Or "this is from a mistake in the grow room",,,. For me this is sloppy breading and nothing more than "bag seed"
        I have read that feminizing is going to eventually make all plants hermies, the next step in evolution.
        I also dont agree with trying to get a harvest from every single seed, I have pulled many many runts/culls. The seed was certainly bag seed, but it was also old school landraces.
        I have to laugh at this one, a gal near me got a bag seed from GG4, planted it and it hermied. She thinks she has GG4 growing, but it would be GG5 and broken from what GG4 is,,, and a year ago I read that GG4 is clone only, now seed is everywhere. What changed? Or is this another example of crappy genetics?

Comment

wow this thread really makes me happy I got so carried away 2 years ago and bought so many seeds I have enough for years lol
          I have seen twisted leaves single leaves,One plant was chugging along and put out all single leafs then the next set were fine ,I used seed from mistake grows except for 10 different strains that I used 2 seeds of each strain kept the bigger of the 2 and put the others in the woods, the size difference between them is amazing one blue fire is 7 feet tall and 6 feet around and the other is 3 feet tall and 3 feet around , I think the difference is because of the green house and the daily care
          new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
          current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey OJ I put a gorilla bomb (bomb seeds) and my last slow auto in my greenhouse last sun. do to it raining. I'm leaving them there. The bomb is really a slow flowering plant at least 3wks behind the others. The auto is very slow at about 60days old no where near ending. All my outdoor photos are on their 6month. Yes they are filling out but my word it's getting near end of sept. I really should of had at least 2 indica finish. But looks like i'm going into oct. and no room for all of them in greenhouse so they'll be under a canopy strapped and staked when the rain/wind starts screaming through.
            Good news is 2 months i'm retired, kinda happy about that Gonna look for a Quality Control job for MJ testing. LOL

• RagWeedDWC
            RagWeedDWC commented
            Editing a comment
            SoOrbudgal, I tried the same after I retired...… waiting list, go figure.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X