How much of the plant is really used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much of the plant is really used?

I have read several books and heard several interviews with “legacy” growers who for decades have taken parts of the plant and utilized it for some things.
    my question: in pruning the lower inside core ... I can collect 2 large shoe boxes of leaf material. I know that as you go higher up the plant, there is useable plant material. What part of this pretty looking leaf material, should I try to ...dry, extract, press, whatever...to have a value in either dried material or even tincture ... I can’t seem to find anyone with hard experience with this question or a definitive answer....at least in books

Mostly fan leaves are discarded for compost unless covered in crystals. It’s the sugar leaves you typically want to extract from. This is very strain dependent. Just remember...the finished product will only be as good as the trim/bud you start with when it comes to extracts.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Chip them in little pieces. Let them dry and vape them. You will be surprised my friends. It takes more time and hits but it sure works

Comment

I’m doin it right now

Click image for larger version

Name:	9DDEB0FE-CE13-45CA-BC26-FE7EFFB92D08.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	260183Click image for larger version

Name:	5E49E304-919F-4DB2-8A36-601AA97A973D.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	260186Click image for larger version

Name:	DE508870-0D54-4A28-9173-FA19A96C032A.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	1,001.7 KB
ID:	260184Click image for larger version

Name:	0B237EDC-9B1C-42B8-9C84-83BFB0B3A136.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	260185

Comment

My Dad juices those, helps him a lot with his arthritis, and beat up body from a life time of hard work.
          Never juiced them myself cause ain't got a juicer, but I enjoy eating the younger leaves. The raw plant material is won't get you high with out heating it, or chemically converting to THC from the THC Acid which the plant makes. Coconut is said to convert it to THC also. Cannabis is a Super food, and raw, is also provides large quantity's of CBD Acid.
          Organic Soil,
          with molasses,
          In a Greenhouse with,
          Redneck engineering.

Comment

Hey 9fingerleafs what are the two objects you are showing in the photos??

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s a vaporizer. Second pic is the glass chamber filled with fan leaves. Third pic is the vaporizer called arizer Q extreme. And the last picture is the bag filled with dense vapor from the trichome-less leaves

Taken from another forum im in..

First thing I do when we pull a plant is clean the roots and let them dry. Wet roots will mold so if you can’t process them right away, leave them in the dirt or in a paper bag in a dry place.
            Cannabis roots are not water solvable, they do infuse well into olive or coconut oil. They can be cooked whole or ground up, 4 hours in a crock pot on low.
            The roots of the cannabis plant have been used since ancient times as a diuretic and to stop hemorrhaging (especially during child birth).
            • Dried and ground into a paste (poultice) to reduce pain and swelling of bruises or broken bones.
            • Boiled as a tea can relieve joint pain and gout.
            • Roots decocted in coconut oil, a tablespoon in the morning and another at night has been known to reduce arthritis pain when taken daily.
            • Add beeswax to the root oil and make a salve that has incredible skin healing properties.
            The roots contain the alkaloids cannabisativine, isocannabisativine, anhydroccabisativine, piperidine and pyrrolidine. The latter two act as a stimulant, bronchidilatory (dilating bronchial tubes) and a sedative.
            The terpens found in roots are friedelin, epifriedlin, ß-sitosterol, carvone and dihydrocavone which are anti oxidents and have properties known to protect the liver.
            Also found in the roots is pentacyclic triterpene ketones. These are antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and target cancer cells and causes them to die.

---

Fresh fan leaves along with trim and buds can be used for juicing. At harvest is the best time to harvest for juicing. Leaves can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Freezing leaves is not recommended, but freezing the undiluted juice works well. It takes 25 to 30 leaves, a fresh bud, and 1 cup of water each day to juice. Freeze the undiluted juice in ice cube trays to keep all the goodies fresh and convenient for daily juicing.
            It is also important to use a masticating juicer, household blenders and food processors create heat and will start to activate the cannabinoids.
            Raw cannabis has a bitter taste, so mixing with fruits and vegetables will help the palate.
            There is no psychoactivity when you juice, but you get all the cannabinoids in their acid form where they get processed by the liver and on to your endocannaninoid system.

Smaller stems, popcorn buds and trim can be processed with a variety of methods. These are usually not ‘fresh‘ but have dried with your smoking buds. After the final trim as your buds go on to the curing process, you can get a lot of medicine out of this material.
            Since this material has been dried, a small amount of the cannabinoids have converted from their acid form. Further heating while infusing into oils or fats, can decarb it a little more (although not a full decarb), which may give some euphoric effects to a person with low tolerance when ingested.
            The synergy of all the cannabinoids in their various stages of decarbing, may give us the best medicine.

---

Trim and stems can be used instead of buds in any procedure.
            Trim and stems can be decarbed for medical and psychoactive effects.
            By not decarbing trim and stems there is no high while having medical benefits.

You can make an oil by infusing stems and trim in avocado oil and coconut oil. I have found that a mixture of the 2 oils makes it taste better. Avocado oil is a very healthy fat, good for your liver, is a good source of vitamin E.
            This canna oil has been reported to ease symptoms of psoriasis from the inside out, joint pain and arthritis.
            Usually taken 2 to 3 times a day, one Tablespoon at a time or you can cook with it!

Grandma Roody’s Canna Oil
            • Place stems and trim in a slow cooker/crock pot
            • Add equal amounts of coconut oil and avocado oils to completely cover your material.
            • Turn crock pot on low. Do Not cover.
            • Cook for 4 hours
            • Cool then strain
            Stem and trim oil infusions make nice topical salves when beeswax is melted with it. I add cocoa butter for a nice chocolate coconut smell and absorbing texture.

Stem and trim can also be infused with volatile solvents. For the purposes of this article, the methods will be safe solvents that you can do at home with every day kitchen items to make your own medicine.
            • Oils – Unprocessed Coconut oil, MCT oil (Fractionated Coconut oil), Avocado oil, Olive oil each have health benefits and extracts cannabinoids along with waxes, lipids and chlorophyll.
            • Fats – Butter, Ghee (clarified butter), and Milk extracts make easy medibles.
            • Glycerin – Vegetable glycerin and Propylene glycol extracts make tinctures and e-juice for vaping
            • Ethanol – Food grade grain alcohol for extracts or tinctures. These QWET (Quick Wash Ethanol) extractions can be purged down to shatter/wax or evaporated down to an RSO like oil.
            • Dry Ice – Produces high quality hash with no solvent residue.Other solvents such as isoproyl alcohol, butane, and others that are not considered food grade are not recommended for medical patients to use in the home setting. Unless the right equipment and safety measures are used. Since we are making medicine in our homes for someone who is sick, without proper purging equipment toxins may be left in the medicine. We don’t want to harm, while trying to heal.

Solvent-less extracts use heat and pressure.
            Solvent-less extracts can even be done at home using a hair straightener.

Hope this helps

Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
            600W

LED
            2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
            BioBizzLight Mix
            Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
            Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
            Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
            CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
            Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
              GreenhouseEffect commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow Nartak! Thank you so much!
              I just forwarded this on to my dad. My parents have been making herbal remedies most of my life, for themselves and to help others. This is awesome, and I will have to try making some of this to, especially with the roots.
              Got some CBD oil going for a friend who has serious health problems, and will save the roots from that plant to make an extraction to send her. She finally started trying cannabis for chronic pain, and it sounds like it is helping a lot. After years of being chased away by the stigma, and having endless surgeries, and drugs prescribed.

THANK YOU!

• Nartak
              Nartak commented
              Editing a comment
              A pleasure to help out GreenhouseEffect,my ex has a severe kidney condition and releases toxins in the bloodstream that cause aching and twitching and she uses the roots from my plants to make remedies and stuff but i haven't really focused on that ,i just hook her up with information

Sounds like you had an awesome childhood buddy
              Keep it green
              Peace

I ate leaves last year to get my leafy greens and surprise!!! I got high as hell!!! https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...periment/page2
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I toss out all fan leaves and anything below the lollipop line, as trichomes develop late in the plants life.

I trim off only the outter (tips) 1/3ish of the sugar(shake) leaves on a wet trim-keeping what's close to the bud completely intact- as it helps to slow drying- protects the bud and reduces trichome loss from handling.
              All of the trim and popcorn buds are then rolled into joints- vaped- or made into dry ice hash.

I would not use trim to make anything that is labor intensive or expensive - ie: bubble hash, magicbutter machine, etc
              It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Wow....well, this REALLY helps. It pushes me in a different direction ... once again...Thank you ALL!

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                  D.A.A.S.69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Farmall, yeah, put those big fans, on a Ham or Turkey
                  sandwich, just like lettuce, except lots
                  better !!
                  You can also use the fan leafs in scrambled eggs, just like onion an eggs.
                  Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 10-23-2018, 06:40 AM.

• Farmall
                  Farmall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Whew, those are some great ideas and Thanks....
                  I’ve read that the juice is bitter but helps some people... if I cover that ham or turkey with mustard, maybe it won’t taste that bitter
                  ( some of those fans are bigger than any bread slices I might have ).

• Nartak
                  Nartak commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you get a slow juicer be sure to use the non sugar coated leaves as there is no way you could "juice" thc into the brew and your slow juicer's gear would be covered in resin. If then again want a psychoactive juice you can use the normal tea method (coconut milk/butter or fat cream) to infuse the sugar leaves into the fan leaf juice.

My cat enjoys them fresh off the tree lolol

I have been doing a lot of reading on the WWW, one of the ideas i have read for extractions in a crock pot is to cover the herb with water and put butter or coconut oil (other room temp solid oil). Then run it the same 4 hours and let er cool, the idea is that the water soluble stuff will be in the water (such as chlorophyll), and the oils we desire in the fat. Once cooled the fat is again a solid and just scoop it off leaving the waste in the water.
                Whats all y'alls thoughts?

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve done it before. It works well if you use the right butter. Some contain water soluble ingredients so it could loose consistency. When done put inside the fridge

• GreenhouseEffect
                  GreenhouseEffect commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's basically how I do mine, with two differences.
                  I Use Coconut oil and never butter anymore, because the Coconut oil doesn't seem to take on that bad flavor that butter can get. Also, I let it go for 24 hrs. instead of 4. I keep the crock pot on warm, with the lid cracked. It most likely is really a double De Carb, since I use mine to make brownies, and it get's heated a second time. I feel like keeping it cooler really helps make the flavor pleasant, instead of how it can get, sometimes.
                  I heard talk last night, of using peanut oil as well. The one advantage over Coconut oil, being that it can take a hotter temp when you go to cook with it.

Happy "Baking" !

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X