Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dark room but cannot get below 60% Humidity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark room but cannot get below 60% Humidity.

I have tried near everything i can, unfortunately i don't think i can drop the humidity enough for drying, and may have to risk it. I have 2 boxes of desiccant inside, I'm using somewhat of a dry rack but it has no mesh on, its for bigger plants i believe, so im using a sheet of clear plastic for drying, a fan underneath, the rack itself is covered with plastic, i don't know if that's a good or bad idea. It's in a shed and i can't really get a good airflow in without opening the door, or dog flap. Im also unsure if its right to hang em or put them on the rack. Iv'e checked humidity everywhere and cant seem to get a controlled and stable enough environment to be confident in drying. It's very humid where i live (in a valley surrounded by alot of tree's) i have virtually no neighbor's, so smell etc is not a problem, i am however completely stuck for ideas. If anyone has any good tips etc. Please leave a message, thanks again

Isn’t there any way you can run a small dehumidifier in the area you are hanging them?

Comment

It’s some damprid stuff . Maybe that’s similar to what you’re already using what is the only thing I can think of other than a dehumidifier . What is the space that you’re using to dry is it like a basement closet what is it?
      DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

I'm able to lower rH, somewhat depending on airflow and temp, with greater indirect air circulation. When it gets too high, dehumidifier is really the best option. I have a 20' 1/2" drain from my dehumidifier directly outside so I don't have to constantly dump the water. Works great - sometimes too well. Best of luck!
        3x3x5 Cheapo Tent; Viparspectra PAR450w LED; Hydrofarm DWC Bubbler; 4-in fan and carbon filter; 6-in fan; 4-in fan.

Comment

I do have a dehumidifier on the pic, its the best i can get portable wise (crystal) its on charge at the moment but i do not have much faith, if it doesn't work as intended i'm pretty screwed. there is also no electric feed close to my intended spot. So i'm going battery all the way lol. My air flow is another problem, i can't get great airflow without letting in some light, does it need to be pitch black? I've searched the whole internet for this kind of problem with a million different results, is a cardboard or plastic box with holes in a good alternative?

Budget now is also an issue. Im 0 without going into debt i can only hope this dehumidifier does the trick.

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Howdy el12341234, My advice is to get rid of the plastic and replace it with something porous. Aluminum or fiberglass window screen material (can get it in rolls at building supply stores), cotton cloth (old sheets or pillow cases), or even plain brown wrapping paper would be more conducive to drying than the plastic sheeting. Can You place a 'passive' air vent in the roof with bottom intakes? The warmer air rising out through the roof could get some circulation going in the shed.
            Good luck with Your problem.

• el12341234
            el12341234 commented
            Editing a comment
            I do have some sheets' or quilts i could use that would possibly. Ventilation is my biggest problem on this though, 70% humidity is the highest it has reached, overnight. Only have 1 battery fan so far that last's 10 hours max, i don't think id be able to install passive air vents, but i could leave the door open, although it would not be totally pitch black darkness. My other option is in the green house, with a frame of sorts a quilt over it underneath the roof window, it may get a little hot in there though. maybe 30 degrees c. max.

Is your grow tent available to dry in- as it has both ventilation and circulation.
          Loose the plastic and hang the branches-individually- not touching each other. There is no problem drying at 60%rh- with airflow around them.
          What are your temps running?
          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I grew in a greenhouse, i'd say it has both of that with the doors/windowsopen + fan i can use. But i will need to darken it or use the rack and darken it, but that again i beleive will cause humidity as I've only got plastic to darken it. The Temps in the greenhouse can get above 25, but was as low as 50% humidity, however not much different from the shed. In the shed however my rh reached a maximum of 71% last night. and temps as low as 11 i believe. The shed also can't get great airflow because of the light it will let in. Really stuck =(

Comment

Originally posted by el12341234 View Post
              .........does it need to be pitch black? I've searched the whole internet for this kind of problem with a million different results......
              I haven't seen a good explanation why weed needs to be dried in pitch dark. I used a relatively dark closet but not total blackout and it turned out fine. Mold is a much bigger concern to me.
              Last edited by Toripony; 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM.
              FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
              Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
              Flower 600w HPS
              alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
              1st grow White Widow
              Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

Originally posted by Toripony View Post

I haven't seen a single good explanation why weed needs to be dried in pitch dark. I used a relatively dark closet but not total blackout and it turned out fine. Mold is a much bigger concern for me.
                Interesting, i do have a room with alot more air flow in next to the shed, there is no door in there though but i would be looking at hanging them in the frame anyway, with maybe some crystals / dehumidifier on a rack lower down. Is Heat not really a big issue? will it affect buds in anyway. Also this is not a huge crop right now. Only 3 smallish auto's

Comment

• Toripony
                  Toripony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think total drying duration is the key. It should take several days... 4-7 is what I read most. Too hot or too dry, it dries too fast... too cold or damp will dry it too slow, increasing chance of mold. Read this: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing

• Toripony
                  Toripony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I chose to dry mine inside the house because the environment is a consistent 70F and around 50% RH. Outdoors here RH fluctuates from 25% daytime to 80% at night.

Is there any reason why i should not dry them in the greenhouse, as i have grown in there with them anyway. I can stick it outside at times for ventilation/cooler temps, always have a roof panel open. throughout the night, even the door slightly open. Whilst darking out my rack the best i can.

Comment

I live in the middle of the Smoky Mountains...know why they're called that. It's because it's ALWAYS humid here. I just hang my crop in a ventilated closet with good air circulation. It may take a bit longer to get to the point where it's safe to jar but I've never had to do any additional climate control.
                  WHAT???
                  5x5 grow space
                  900w of Vero's and F-strips
                  4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                    D.A.A.S.69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's exactly how I dry mine, in the house in a closet, most of the time.
                    And.some light gets in ,that's not gonna hurt nothing much.
                    You do want a little air movement on them.
                    In my closet, it takes 5-7days to get just right for jars.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X