Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much difference is there really among many cannabis strains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much difference is there really among many cannabis strains?

I've been doing some research online re: what some of the most famous strains consist of geneologically, and here are my notes:

BIG BUD: Afghan x Skunk; w/ lots of breeders not saying its geneology
    SKUNK #1: afghan x mex x col = Cheese = Green Crack = NYC Diesel
    GREEN CRACK: Skunk #1 phenotype + some more Afghan; Sat dom
    CHEESE: Skunk #1 phenotype
    OG KUSH: chemdawg x hindu kush or chemdawg phenotype
    NYC DIESEL: mex x afghan; Sat dom.
    SOUR DIESEL: Sat dom.; phenotype of Chemdawg?
    KUSH: Indica from Kush mtn region of Afghan, Pak and India.
    NORTHERN LIGHTS: Afghan phenotype = Kush
    CHEMDAWG: mystery genetics, ca. 50/50, Nepal/Thailand landrace Sat? = Sour Diesel
    WHITE WIDOW: Braz. Sat x Indian Ind.; DP & Nirv. won't say what's in it; Greenhouse says Braz. sat x Ind. Ind. Big Buds magazine claims that neither region produces potent cannabis: http://bigbudsmag.com/growing-landra...n-white-widow/

What I discovered is that a lot of strains are very similar if not the same as other strains, but they put out a new name and a lot of hype and everyone has to buy that new strain.

One thing I find a bit irritating is when breeder descriptions are all boasting about this chemovar being on of the strongest you can find on the market. I appreciate it when they let me know that the high is medium strength, but with so much hyperbole in the descriptions of the bud, I begin to mistrust. That's one reason why I like to buy cup-winning seeds.

On the other hand, perhaps it all is that strong... I'd prefer to grow a variety of strains and blend them together in the vaporizer or tincture rather than get sucked in to all the hype. I refuse to pay $130-180 for five feminised Grand Daddy Purp seeds (Purple Urkle x Big Bud, or strong Indica x strong Indica).

In conclusion, I think I just have to create optimum conditions for my plants and stop buying into the descriptive hype that goes with different names, like Black Domina or Night Queen, for ex.: "this one's extremely narcotic," "that one will leave you glued to the couch," etc., etc.

Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Yes it's amazing how many strains from Nirvana have super skunk as one of the parents. That being said I think alot of it has to with select phenotype breeding. I personally haven't grown tons of different strains. I think if you look on them on paper they appear similiar but I hope they are vastly different in the garden or I'm going to be be pissed!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I can see they talk a lot about a “particularly desirable phenoype,” but I wonder how different each one is. But for ex DP came out w a new Afghan Kush phenotype and hiked up the price. No thanks.

I can say with certainty that there are differences. Some mostly flavor and only for vap smokers. I have I think 18 different kinds atm. All from me not others. I can tell each one by smell, taste, feel. Some I dont touch as they dont like me I think. White LSD just makes me think way to much and not get any relief. White widow on the other hand kills all pain but makes me lazy. I've posted descriptions on what strains have helped although a brief list. Maybe one day will write up a true list of everything that ai am sure what it was and what it did but that would take me hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwasp View Post
      that would take me hours.
      waiting...............

4'x 6' x 8' room
      2-400w MH/HPS bulbs
      sunshine mix #4
      mega crop nutes
      current grow
      cd-1
      jack herer
      afghan kush
      green doctor

Comment

• Redwasp
        Redwasp commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe one day when my head is on straight. I have pages of notes from me, and others on each one. Could literally spend hours describing each one as slow as I type. What do you want more of? Feel? What it helps? How it tastes from each method of delivery? How it grows? Yields? How long they last? How easy to grow? How they like nutrients? Omg you asked the Sheldon of Weed. I have pages and pages of notes. Each jar has tons of info. Then the notebooks. I usually use a pencil as I hate typing. And have a printer to put the info on each jar.

Morning alltatup, I can tell the difference in taste, but that's about it, I think it's all kinfolks, but with different sexy sounding names, to grab everyone's attention, lol
      I've got some that's a hellava lot more potent though, like AfghanKush, twice as strong as the NLights we smoke and love, but it ain't no where near as strong as the sativa Oaxacan.
      I know there is a difference in Sativa an Indica, the effects, but that's about it.
      I think it's all close to the same kind though.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Well DASS come hunting season we can test that theory. Lol

Comment

To be honest time of harvest seems to have the highest impact. But if you want flavor Green Crack can never be beat so far.

Comment

My favorites are somewhat described in a post by I think cannabliss somewhere. But cant remember.

Comment

Here's my experience over the past 8-9 years:

1. If I'm in a good mood, the high is great; if I'm in a bad place, I get anxiety. Strain don't matter.
              2. I always get a cerebral high with relaxation; no matter what I vape, my mind always goes deep.
              3. Nothing has ever given me "couch lock": perhaps one of these days, I'll wait for more amber on some Afghan strain, but I don't ever become a zombie.
              4. Definitely agree that some are stronger than others and that they taste different.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Insight
                Insight commented
                Editing a comment
                I find it easier to achieve "couch lock" if I use the bong, and usually an Indica.

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Redwasp I gotta let my Afghan Kush or my Night Queen grow till there's more amber--not 40%, but more than I usually allow.

• Ell
                Ell commented
                Editing a comment
                it's harder to couchlock with a vape. 20 degrees hotter made me catch a lot more body stone.but still not like a flame smoke.

I think for the most part is solely the marketing of them. Higher demand = Higher profit. So why not hype up something that hasnt done well or breed it with a more popular strain?

In comparison to the old weed, it is a huge difference, and yes slowly it will continue to improve, but whats the limit? Theres no way that can produce a plant that is 100% THC. There would be no plant material to produce it!

I would like to see a website post their results from the labs doing the testing, but then again to acheive the same result as alltatup said, they perfect conditions need to be met.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

While we are discussing this here what is the strongest you have ever grown. Looking for my next. And want to find a one hit wonder like when I started. One hit and your good. Been so long.

I can say for certainty that Nitro Lemon Haze at all cloudy will take you to the top of the world. At 40% amber will take your ass out. We call it lisa, or lemon pledge because on exhale that's what it smells like after exhaling.

Wonder Woman cured 3 plus months is a great smoke but not for flavor or smell.

Carmelicious has taste, smell, and a high to look forward to.

White widow is up there with one of the tops.

Green Crack I'll smoke all day just for the flavor.

white lsd is not for me at all. Period.

Nebula CBD is an all day everyday anytime anywhere smoke.

Rasberry Cough is an awakening that will kill any pain you have and make you ready to fight the world. But if you dont like the smell of white pepper it's not for you.

sorry lost my train of thought. Not been my week. Just want to start this week over.

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also think that one chemovar will definitely affect different people differently; that also bothers me about breeders' descriptions of their product. But man, when I first started buying seeds two years ago, I believed all the hype. Redwasp I think you're doing pretty good for mid-week!!! ;-} Just coast on into the weekend.

Oh think I fucked up my Gorrila Glue because to me was very weak. Girl Scout cookies is good but not worth the price of the seeds. Lemon OG has awesome flavor and smell. If you want me to stop I will. I dont think as well as I used to. Would have to go find notes to cover more. Or look through what I've smoked

Comment

I haven't look into this for about 1 year- so my info is dated- but there were only about 1400+ actual strains with 10,000+ different names!
                  I have used the Pyhlos Bioscience to get some information on the many (limited only by the voluntary submissions- combinations/names and relatives)

Search the largest evolutionary map of cannabis with genetic insights for thousands of varieties from over 80 countries.

and yes there are many the same combo with different nomenclature.
                  It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Qwertywill
                    Qwertywill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Common Oct! Cant wait to start using them!!

• alltatup
                    alltatup commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fascinating, but I don't understand how to use it...???

It's funny though that the best I've ever had was from a friend who grew bag seed and his plant hermied. Holy shit wish I still had some of those seeds.

Comment

I remember back in High School in the mid 80's when I didn't know any better and I used to smoke cheap, airy, dirt-smelling weed and it got me a pretty decent high. Back then the THC % was pretty low, like 8% or something. Even then that got us pretty stoned. Nowadays it's gotten pretty ridiculous with all these classy-looking buds, some (I hear) with added food coloring and flavor enhancers and whatnot to achieve that eye-catching look they hope would make a new medicinal smoker with no experience say "whoa, if it has all those lovely colors of the rainbow, it MUST be good". Doing things like this to your bud is just silly imo. That's why I very rarely pay attention to all these "new and improved" strains with crazy-looking bright colors with glitter and skyrockets popping out (LMAO). To make matters worse, they slap a high price tag on them, only for us to later find out it wasn't worth the price. I stick with the few original classics and more popular, well-bred "knockoffs". That's just me.
                    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
                    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• Cannabliss
                      Cannabliss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I also want to clarify what I meant when I said "flavor enhancers". I meant artificial flavor enhancers, not enhancers that bring out the plant's natural true flavor. For example, a buddy of mine told me that some other dude tried to add pure Pineapple juice to his soil while he was growing the Pineapple Express strain lol. Things like that.

D.A.A.S.69 Amen brother. I've actually gotten sick from smoking some crap weed some place claimed was legit. Best to grow it yourself. At least you know for sure what's in it. That and the fact that I just love growing it lol.

• alltatup
                      alltatup commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cannabliss D.A.A.S.69 You hit it right on the head, Cannabliss. Which is why I stick mainly with cup-winning chemovars. Still gotta grow it right, though...

• Cannabliss
                      Cannabliss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      alltatup btw I'm with you on that I also wouldn't spend $130-180 for five feminized Grand Daddy Purp seeds, or any strain that charges that much. I understand their defense is that we can make that and more money back from selling it, etc. Maybe so, but they don't know what I'm going to do with my beans and frankly, it ain't their business lol. Those price ranges are just way high for my taste. I can grow a different strain with probably the same effects while paying less than half the price.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X