Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with foxtail

Hello Growers!

Last few weeks there was very high temp. in my country so one of my girl developed foxtail in box.
    She left about 4-5 weeks till the end of flowering, buds are looking good but with very very little amount of crystals.

This is my first time with foxtail so what is best option? to cut her off or wait until finish of flowering.

thanks in advance!

P.S. maybe with foxtailed plants cooking is better than smoking?

in my experience foxtail means she came out of bloom and reveged so you have to start bloom over ,I have a friend who saw his plants were starting to fox tail ,they were in week 8 of bloom so we cut them down , I had some that were in week 4 of bloom when they did it I just pulled them and threw them in the hash pile ,Hopefully someone else will have brighter news for you good luck
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Sativa's have a tendency to foxtail in high heat- and while it may look strange there is no problem when you smoke the ugly buds!
      You can trim them off at harvest to make them look pretty- but why bother.

Some landrance sativas foxtail- no matter what you do and take up to 14 weeks in flower.

That said: if it is re-vegging- see OJH recommendations above.
      It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I had one of my Auto flowering plants foxtail this summer because of the heat, though not as bad as how it did with yours. She just kept stacking more calyxes on top of the old ones. I think it is mostly the plants strategy to try and stay cooler. Anyway, she turned out ok, not the compact buds I was hoping for, but still smoked fine, gets me pretty darn high to!
        With the high heat, some amount of THC is lost, but my guess is that you will end up with some usable weed, just not the tight buds that you would probably like.

Especially if you have access to more plants or seeds, I would probably just grow her till harvest, and you can at least get something. Maybe if it was the only plant you could get, then you could trim out the buds, re vedge and start over, but then there is the risk of the plant not making it, and the added time. Re vedge would only work with a photo period plant.
        Organic Soil,
        with molasses,
        In a Greenhouse with,
        Redneck engineering.

Comment

Nebula`s chucked out an article on this and it is common. Always heat and airflow for me...l`ve had to stop my main tent during the height of summer as it was an issue. Still smoked fine and strong as hell but not a certainty. I`d try extra fans and raise lights a couple of inches and take her to harvest. 5-10% amber and I`d chop then long cure in jars. Good luck and another thing to tick off your list of adverse experiences. Beware of banana`s though. They can come out due to the same causes as well. Not easy growing weed sometimes, though not as painful as a kick in the balls it sometimes comes remarkably close.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
            GreenhouseEffect commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya it is, Pagan!
            Just threw away almost all of my Black D.O.G. plant, several days ago, because that week at work was ROUGH, and I didn't finish curing worth a shit, and the buds started growing mold.
            My best weed so far, smelled and tasted like blueberries and grapes, turned out really nice. Almost wanted to kick MYSELF in the nads for that one.

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            thats a great analogey PaganRich this grow I got the kick in the balls lol

If I had plants that were that far along, I would smoke them regardless of their sorted past.
          completed 7 grows
          what I have learned so far:
          environment maters more than nutrients
          at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
          effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

I've had some outdoor grows, that the buds foxtailed, but it wasn't from re-veg, just heat, and we smoked the sh-t out of them. Makes for some funny looking buds, sometimes, but they sure smoke good. I wouldn't cut them off, I'd smoke them. Good Luck Zaxar.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks a lot for the answers!

I think I will wait 1-2 week until harvest.
              If she would be weak for smoking, than I will use it for cooking.

Anyone had experience with fox tail cooking?

Comment

• Weed Pharma
                Weed Pharma commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup- there's no difference from regular buds- smoke or ingest!
                I still kick myself for harvesting "early" a foxtailed landrace that was @ 14 weeks flower- don't rush it-
                use the same metrics of normal shaped buds for harvest

Howdy Zaxar, My experience with fox tail buds has been late in the flowering phase and ,usually, when the grow room temperature gets too high. The good news id that they as good (if not better) than 'regular' buds, just not as densely packed. On my last grow, I had a lot of 'fox tailing' which produced a bunch of seeds, but they were worth the flushing and curing.
              Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Ran into that my first year of growing indoors. Had a couple of Nirvana 'freebies' that were very sativa dominant and took almost 14 weeks to finish. Ended up finishing about this time of year-a couple of months behind the rest of the crop. Had some foxtailing because room temps were in the mid-upper 80's and I didn't have a solution. Ended up with a decent harvest-not the best looking flower but she definitely made good meds.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X