Tincture question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tincture question

Finally got around to tincture making. Decarbed 1 oz trim/popcorn/etc, soaked it in Everclear in the freezer for 24 hrs (with regular shaking), strained then coffee filtered. The resulting liquid looked to me a bit like olive oil.

I let it evaporate under a fan but I think I went too far. I now have a murky liquid with a few floating oily spots on top and quite a bit of sludge on the bottom that joins into one big globule but if disturbed breaks into smaller spots, like a lava lamp. I'm guessing the "sludge" is cannabis oil.

So my question is, do I just go all the way and evaporate the remaining liquid? Or if I add more Everclear and shake, will everything recombine? I really was planning on making tincture. On the other hand, I still have jars and jars of trim in the freezer so it wouldn't kill me to make oil this time and try tincture again later.

Dutchman1? alltatup? Anyone? Any assistance gratefully accepted.
    My first grow

Howdy Aloner, I have not tried to make any tincture yet, but I'm saving some stemmage and 'left-overs' from DIH to try with. DoctorJohnson said, in an other post, that there is 5% water in the Everclear, so that may be why You have some cloudiness (the water and oils do not mix well). Can You pour it into a tall container (a glass beaker or a vial) and see if it settles out into layers? Then You might be able to more readily separate the water from the oils. Like I sad, I have not tried to make any yet, so I'm just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by DW2; 05-05-2018, 05:28 PM. Reason: corrected 'tag'
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DoctorJohnson
      DoctorJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you'll have some water--not much, the alcohol evaporates so you're left with basically brown THC and the other less water soluble stuff and drops of water. You can just add more everclear and it will all go back into solution again. Or you can just remove the water.

Nebula has a good recipe for Canna Caps that's fun to try too, and the coconut oil (more of a semisolid paste at RT actually) tastes like Mounds bars!

Me, I have a good stock of both tincture and Canna Caps so I'm squishing buds now, and making CO2 hash too. I ain't much of a cook, but I'm big with da week in da kitchen.

• Potted
      Potted commented
      Editing a comment
      Just keep on evaporating till water evaporates than u got the good goo!

So ! That is potent stuff right now Aloner. You can add a little everclear, water and glycerin and reconstitute what you have. Or alternately just add glycerin and a little water and no everclear. It will be easier to swallow.If you have 1 ounce of liquid you dont want to add more than 1 more ounce of liquid total. Also, when you make your tincture you need to put the cannabis in the freezer first as well as the everclear. Freeze both before you combine them. This will eliminate the chlorophyll and the green color.
    Additionally that thick liquid tends to accumulate on the side and the eyedropper in the bottle. If you add glycerin and a little water it will not "clump up " as much and stay mixed. You still need to " shake before using"
    Last edited by Dutchman1; 05-05-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Howdy Loner, I was about at your point when I was answered in another thread. At your point I put in hot coconut oil and stirred a bunch. All the clumps came together in a ball of goo. As I understand it all that the THC is dissolved in the oil and other plant products that will not dissolve in the oil is what is left. I capped the oil and 2 caps is way good. The goo I let dry and now and then I put it in my coffee,it will not dissolve in cold water. .

Comment

You only want to reduce the amount of liquid from 16 ounces down to 3 at most unless your making RSO.. then add 1/2 glycerin and 1/4 water and maybe a little food grade flavoring for taste. You ll have a potent tasty tincture. If your making RSO reduce the amount till its a goo./ The dose is harder to figure but its like 1/2 grain to 1 grain of rice sized amount.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          Dutchman in RSO do you stop at 3 oz or goo ?

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Goo OJH

Hey Aloner, I've had great results making tincture, but I'm not so sure about the oil. I evaporated the Everclear the same way you did and was left with goo. I tried vaping some, but wasn't impressed; I put some under my tongue, that was ok, but nowhere near as good as tincture works for me. I want to make some oil after next harvest--but with buds, not trim. I'll try that in a vape pen that can vape oil and not just juice.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tincture and RSO are two different animals. I dont have any experience making stuff for a vape pen so not sure how that all goes.

Thanks all!

I'm going to try reconstituting the tincture. I'll let you know how it turns out.
        My first grow

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          See post #9 below. We got this thing figured out.

I am going to research it more, because I want to be able to make a good CCO. And I don't see how it could be harmful to the final product to evaporate the alcohol over a couple of days in a cool, dark place rather than boiling it off via traditional method. And as I said above, next time I'ma make it with bud, not sugar leaves.

attn: Dutchman1
          Last edited by alltatup; 05-07-2018, 07:06 AM.

FWIW, I make tincture at 10 mg THC per milliliter and just use it like that. No evaporation or post-processing required. I keep it in the fridge to discourage evaporation of the very volatile alcohol.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you mean you use 10mg oil per ml tincture? Where does your THC come from?

This is the method I used originally.

Then I found this this morning: https://herb.co/marijuana/news/concentrate-shelf-life

Now I understand a whole lot better: any concentrate will degrade a lot faster than properly-stored cannabis bud or tincture (which will really store indefinitely, all the 'noids and terps suspended in alcohol). My goo got weaker over time and I made way too much all at once.

I think the solution is to make large batches of tincture and evaporate small amounts at a time. Use it while it's nice and fresh. And, of course, keep all concentrates cool, dry, dark.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey alltatup I think you really should try storing tincture in the freezer until ready to use. I store mine at 0 degrees. I have some Im using now that I made a year ago. Its still very potent and tasty. Also Id never use isopropyl alcohol although I know some do. Very dangerous stuff if you dont evaporate completely.Also there is a residue that remains even after total evaporation that can be dangerous to people with compromised immune systems.
          Last edited by Dutchman1; 05-07-2018, 07:37 PM.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Dutchman, I always store my tincture in the freezer; I was referring to oil, not tincture.

Isopropyl???? Never. I use Everclear.

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh well thats good. The link you posted recommended everclear OR Isopropyl.

Hi all, I'm going to use a majority of this grow to learn how to make tinctures. Here's a web site that I found. wakeandbake.co...This lady has a bunch of recipes. Please let me know what you think. One thing I'm not clear on is, when you take it out of the freezer and strain it, Do you place all the medicine in the dropper or do you have to evaporate some of the alcohol from it? Great timing for the post and thank you for all your help! Peace through growing!

3rd grow
        CFL's for seedlings
        Outdoor DIY Grow Box 4' X 3' X 8'
        Galaxyhydro LED 300w Full Spectrum
        ViparSpectra LED 450w Full Spectrum
        Coco Loco & Kindsoil
        Foliar Essence
        5 gal Smart pot/5 gal plastic pot
        AK-47 feminized - GYO
        Fallen Angel feminized - Devils Harvest

"Changing my thinking, changes my life."

Comment

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to make a post that I can point to instead of writing this all the time, lol. The cannabis needs to be decarboxylated before you combine it. If you dont have a " Nova" my avatar will give you a basic time/heat formula. I put the now decarboxylated cannabis and everclear in the freezer seperately an hour before I combine them.Once combined I let them sit anywhere from 2-3 hours to overnight with a shake whenever I think of it. .Then I actually strain them in the freezer (I have a large upright) with a coffee filter in a strainer. The resulting liquid is golden yellow. I put that in a pyrex baking dish and fan dry to 1/4 to 1/6 total liquid volume. I then put it into a pan and bring it to a boil for 5 minutes just to make sure my fan didnt blow anything nasty in there and its sterile or close to it.
          Last edited by Dutchman1; 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Jimmy, I LOVE that site, and that's where I learned to make tincture. I just followed the directions she gives, covered the buds till there was Everclear above them, stuck the jars in the freezer and shook em once or twice a day. One tincture I took out and strained after a week, and others I've left longer.

I don't think you need to evaporate alcohol unless you use to much, so don't!! You just want the buds entirely immersed in alcohol. I use Everclear 190.

Dutchman1 I cover my pan with cheesecloth and tape it down when I put the tincture under the fan. Of course you may not have as much cat hair floating around your house as I do...

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea alltatup !

The resulting liquid looks something like these pics depending on how much and how well I did, ha. Once its cooled after the 5 minute boil I add about 1/3 the volume of glycerin and a little food grade flavoring. Then bottle it. I use 1 and 2 ounce bottles then I store in the freezer. Ive found the glycerin helps it to not stick to the sides of the eyedropper and bottle sides as much.
        Last edited by Dutchman1; 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Dutchman1 Thanks Bro! I plan on getting a Nova in a couple of months. A little pricey, but well worth it from what I've read.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            The Nova or Lift is something else that I really love. I could live without my dab rig, but I could not live without the Nova.

alltatup, I got the Nova idea from one of your posts/journals. I read all your stuff. Very informative! Thanks for all you do for the community!

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            That's very kind, Jimmy; y'all are my cannabis community, and it's such a pleasure to be able to "talk" with others who feel as passionate about the enterprise as I do!!!

If I may, I'd like to share a couple of modifications I employ to make tincture w/ Everclear. 8 oz. of the EC in pint mason jar, place in freezer. Separately, for now, 11-13 gr. decarbed cannabis ( just what my Nova holds ) that I place into a MaxLoom 250 Micron, 4.5 x2.5 inch, rosin extraction bag, which I stuff open end first into a second bag. Into the freezer , After 24hr. I combine and shake vigorously for two minutes and replace in freezer, laying horizontal. I do 4 or 5 more times over the course of a day, then open up and suspend bag across mouth of jar with thin metal skewer and let bag drip 'til dry. I never strain with this technique and never have plant material in my tinc. The trichome husks settle out of solution on the bottom and give me no problem as I pipette off into dropper bottle. The straining was giving me a beating. Thanks

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            quirk Let's see if I got this right: you put the rosin bag w/ decarbed bud inside another rosin extraction bag? Then you put those two bags in the jar of EC? Fascinating!! So that's how you strain!!! Kinda like combining dry ice technique with EC and the freezer.

How do 11-13 grams fit in the rosin bag? Is it a real tight fit? Do you do a second wash?

Why do you use 250 micron instead of a 90?

Does your tincture come out yellow?

How was straining giving you a beating?? I'm going to be doing some quick washes so I can make THC juice for my vape pen, and I'd like try your method. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

quirk Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X