the difference in medical marijuana and recrnational marijuana - the smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the difference in medical marijuana and recrnational marijuana - the smell

has this happen to you: when in flower stage there is a week or so were the plant really smells of essential oils and terpen's BUT not quite ready for harvest were the trichomes will be a;ll cloudy. Now if I wait till then (about 2 weeks) the smell is very weak, but harvested at the highest thc value. So next time going to harvest when it (plant starts it really smell) it might be 1/2 cloudy and 1/2 clear trichomes BUT the smell will be very strong.. SO medical Marijaua is harvested early during essential,oil and terpens's developmentt. SO pot will be OK high but taste will be out of the world, seem like folks will pay more for smelly pot that dosen;'t have the potency ---even used bloom booster terpinator, Rock, ect. F . so one much harvest when it smells about 2 week early _ thoughts ??? !!!!!!!

After years of growing, I don't really smell it anymore. I occasionally get reminded when my daughter comes and visits.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Kingfish - my sinuses aren't the best so I smell it occasionally, or if it's really strong or right under my nose - I have people come over and as soon as they walk in the front door they ask if I'm ready for harvesting and I look at them funny and usually flat out say no.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Just my opinion. I think most pot that is grown for sale is grown to smell and look great. Used to be called bag appeal.THC content is secondary to looks and smell.

Comment

• steve
          steve commented
          Editing a comment
          which could mean that the plant is harvested when it's producing essential oils & terpene and not necessarly when the trichomrs are cloudy for high thc. next grow wil harvest 2 week early ? it's about week 6-7 when they smell maybe trichomes are 25-45 % cloudy. maybe that the secret ! have use countless bloom addititives

early picked weed is speedy feeling. i don't care for it.

Comment

I think the difference is which side of the store you buy it from.

Comment

Medical and recreotional is exactly the same if you ask me. The medical term is just how it was named to make money out it. People on the streets (non growers) dont know any better. Smells good? Most be good shit! Lol

The trichomes tells you everything.
            Current Grow
            Power Plant | 2x2x4 Tent | FFOF Soil | BP Cal-Mag | FF Trio Nutes | 300 LED | Temp R/H Gauge | Humidifier | Fans | 2 Gallon Smart Pot | 4' 190 CFM/Speed Controller | 4' Carbon | Passive Intake

Comment

I harvest with mostly cloudy, some clear and an amber triche here and there. This is perfect for me with the Indicas I'm growing right now, because I want the high to be very relaxing but without any kind of "couch-lock" feeling. Because some strains smell stronger and begin to produce terpenes much earlier than others, I would never harvest based on aroma. But I can smell the terpenes emerging shortly after I switch to 12/12. I like to rub a bit of trimmed stem or leave between my fingers and smell the terps: it's aromatherapy.

I do everything I can to preserve terpenes by keeping temps as low as I can during the second half of flowering. As soon as I see trichomes emerging, I lower the humidity to encourage triche production, and I keep the temp well below 80 F lights on.

I store the curing bud in a cool, dark place with Bovedas. Gotta treat cannabis with the same care as fine wine and cigars to get the very best out of her. I have an Ardent Lift decarb machine, and I decarb some of the newly dried bud, which makes it smell fantastic. All the bud smell supurb til it's gone.

Finally, I don't think of cannabis as "recreational" anymore: it's all medicinal/ritual use to me now. I stopped getting high with the wrong people (which I did mindlessly in the past); now I try to be mindful of my high no matter what I'm doing. I don't want cannabis to knock me out; I want her to relax and enlighten me.

Bottom line: most folks I know smoke or vape daily multiple times to deal with the stress/depression/general malaise caused by living in this world. I have no idea what goes on in dispensaries or how hard their sell is, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with them. I love growing my own medicine, blending strains, and making tinctures from my own blends.
              Last edited by alltatup; 07-31-2020, 02:12 PM.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen Alltatup, it's always been great medicine for me and my whole family
                ,it's the kind of medicine that works, and keeps on working, for whatever ails you.

• steve
                steve commented
                Editing a comment
                great info - I agree --what is a "Ardent lift decarb machine" ?

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                steve It's a state of the art decarb machine that keeps temps consistently low:
                Unlock the Full Potential of Cannabis with Ardent's Decarboxylation Machine. Discover the Ultimate Way to Maximize Potency & Effectiveness. Don't Miss Out! 🌿💥

I consider mine an excellent investment, and it makes the bud smell heavenly.

Right on alltatup I used to smoke for fun when I was in college but this days I only smoke to sleep since I get insomnia every now and then. Cheers guys ✌
              Current Grow
              Power Plant | 2x2x4 Tent | FFOF Soil | BP Cal-Mag | FF Trio Nutes | 300 LED | Temp R/H Gauge | Humidifier | Fans | 2 Gallon Smart Pot | 4' 190 CFM/Speed Controller | 4' Carbon | Passive Intake

Comment

Been smoking for fun since 1965. Now that I'm 71 years old I'm still smoking for fun, but it just so happen it also works great in reducing the affect of chemo. So I win on both fronts.

Comment

• strainsgrow
                  strainsgrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right On King!!! 😥

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It should always be fun, euphoric, joyful--whatever you wanna call it. I hope it kicks chemo's ass!!!

• Potted
                  Potted commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If u can do the kemo without opioids and survive you’ve done well KF I went thru 6mounths of that shit luckily I had a large grow to fall back on lol

Not only the smell. Medical marijuana contains more CBD than THC. And that's why the doctors prescribe this type of marijuana. Usually people need only CBD for their medication. I know it because I use it. I had an accident 3 years ago and it still hurts. The doctor told me to use medical marijuana. Usually I buy it from New York Medical Marijuana Dispensary & Delivery because they have decent prices. And they can deliver it right to the front door.
                Last edited by ImmortalOne; 08-03-2020, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
                  CaptainWiese91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really depends on what country you live in. And what kind of doctor you have.

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like CaptainWiese91 said but also it's the ailment your trying to relive. It's depends on what the issue is ImmortalOne. And to me THC is essential.

• CaptainWiese91
                  CaptainWiese91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Went to 20 doctors with my PTSD from the war. Only thing they want was giving me opioid.
                  Then finally I came to a doctor, but it was only CBD, I tried it, and I didn’t work.
                  THC is essential to me also. And Denmark is really moving forward upon the medical with THC now.
                  But you need to try ALL other treatment first, before they even wanna tal about marijuana..

I'm pretty sure many of you won't be shocked to learn that there are many commercial growers and dispensaries out there that spray their cured bud with essential oils to increase marketability & sales. Pine, orange, lemon, grape, are just a few of the aromas they add. I met a guy who's latest was anise and lime essences.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
                  CaptainWiese91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The tourists coffee shops in Holland do it too😂.
                  And all the tourist is jumping right in🤦🏼🤦🏼

How strange and no i never knew they sprayed with Scents damn i just don't like it somethings i'm never going to do. I love the smell it has always have i love smelling the smoke. I guess it's like adding flavor cream to coffee just to each their own.
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• crucialbunny
                  crucialbunny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm often bummed when my bud loses that skunk, pine, or citrus odor. But I have found that when dried and cured properly it returns. I think because most commercial operations use fast dry environments they don't get that aroma back so they add scent to it. Please understand that my experience is so far only with clandestine illegal operations and a few people I have met in the industry. I am not indicting all commercial growers. Legal growers have to jump through a host of FDA flaming hoops to get their product on shelves so I'm fairly sure most product is good and clean. I have found that even the best product can go south without proper dry and cure. Growing is only half of the equation.

I appreciate this thread being revived. I didn't even consider that dispensaries would use essential oils, to enhance their products. Yet ANOTHER reason to raise our own!

I accepted from the start of my new hobby, that I would be limited by my environment and preferences. While I accept limitations, I am not above a little experimentation. For instance, I learned during my first grow that pure lemon juice works well when you're out of PH down. While I recognize that several experts dismiss adding it for flavor, I'm flushing my next harvest with it, as my PH down.

I agree with Alltatup, it's just as much about the grow as the toke. I find it meditative, thought provoking and rewarding. You forum members and the seedbank are the only ones that I've shared my experiences with. I had a great youth, partied hard but I'm done with that now. I'm looking for a mind-expanding sleep aid.

I've got a sample Original Skunk #1 bud quick-drying in my solar oven. I hope it turns out well!
                A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello BR2K ya who would of known about that with commercial growers. No worries crucialbunny we need to talk about this and know what's being used. It's alot about the grow as well as the toke. I'm so wrapped up with it right now i can't get away for 2 days without thinking how they are which i'm not real pleased with myself, but really got alot going on.
                  Yes and the lemon was a great idea lowering PH down. I find that i can still smell pretty good at only 63yrs young. But i smell the natural terps coming off the plants like the lemon haze 3 in flowery resin glory smelling like a lemon grove. Reminds me of my youth.

• crucialbunny
                  crucialbunny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Two days ago I was out front watering the lawns chatting with my neighbor when he commented that he was thinking of setting traps because he and his wife keep smelling skunk every evening. I didn't explain.

Thank you for info

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X