Growing and going full tilt No Till

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing and going full tilt No Till

So I made my home at GWE about three months ago early in December and I have yet to plant even one seed. I/O it all to them, everything I’ve learned along the way is just because of the tutorials written by Nebula and Sirius and the Excellent distribution system they have put in place to disseminate the most important facts in a clear and complete manner giving growers of all budgets and skills choices to make along the way to a grow that best suits their environment.

I’ve made up my mind how I was going to proceed a half a dozen times and changed my mind in so many ways since I first arrived. That I have learned patience in choosing methods and a Style that is true to my values I must thank Nebula and Sirius

They have given me the knowledge to be able to discriminate between different methods and styles with confidence that I do understand the particulars Of each methodology.

As the title of this long-winded Post states
    I am going fulltilt No Till, This means a lot of things it means everything will be organic I will not be using bottled fertilizers or additives. Everything that will be used as compost, mulch, Pest management, feeding, folkier spraying, Amending will be organic. It also means I will be using The best genetics I can afford, I have chosen Ocean Grown seeds which are true breed and not feminized. I actually want to get some male plants and grow them out and pick some of the best pheno’s I can get. I will be pairing them off with females of the best phenotypes I can find in my grow.

Perhaps the greatest lesson I’ve learned here is patience and to feed the soil not the plant. I want to recycle everything in my garden including the water that I use. I want to use the most efficient lighting for yield as well as for the environment but I also want to make sure my cost of investment doesn’t outstrip my return. These are all valuable lessons that have been imparted me here at GWE.

More info to come soon this may even turn into s grow journal
    Last edited by Paracelsus; 04-15-2018, 05:45 AM.
    My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
    The universities do not teach all things

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	179275
    Last edited by Paracelsus; 03-05-2018, 08:18 AM.
    My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till

Comment

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      I get a sunrise each day every day it’s magic

• Tika
      Tika commented
      Editing a comment
      Paracelsus Just discovered this image! I face directly west..
      ..With the back bay in view and hear the ocean roaring..Sounds like a freeway all the time til the fog comes in.
      Nice being back to back.

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you found it, it’s almost like we are spooning 😘

I guess you are going to also grow outdoor in natural light? If so welcome to the club. Very few of us on this site so far.

Comment

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually it will be an indoor grow I just lost the whole post explaining everything trying to post pictures let me start again

As the seedlings grow and turn into vegetative stage I will be accumulatively creating new indoor grow spaces to create a perpetual indoor no till grow.

Rather than wait for everything to become perfect I am going to begin the grow as my funds accumulate I will add to the grow in stages of growth.

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Desertdan I grow outside as well just not in my backyard where I could tend to them every day

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a big challenge oldjarhead100 I admire how you make your rounds with the scoop of this and a scoop of that. Have you got a pooper scooper?

Hello Paracelsus, it's about time my friend, I've been waiting for this ,an I know you have too, well good luck with your endeavor.
    ps- I might grow an autoflower or two in the winter, but my growing is outdoors, just like your talking about, using no nutrients, except for maybe a few dead rotting fish in the bottom of the whole, your plants don't turn out real pretty, from being in the outdoors, but them outdoor buds , sure as hell smoke and do the job much better, than them indoor buds, I can promise you.
    GoodLuck Paracelsus, I'm sure your gonna do fine.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello D.A.A.S.69 where you been I haven’t seen any of your posts lately. It was you and your friend You inspired me to include music and conversation in the thread.

Actually it will be an indoor grow I just lost the whole post explaining everything trying to post pictures let me start again

As the seedlings grow and turn into vegetative stage I will be accumulatively creating new indoor grow spaces to create a perpetual indoor no till grow.

Rather than wait for everything to become perfect I am going to begin the grow as my funds accumulate I will add to the grow in stages of growth.

As the first grow moves into the late vegetative state I will be replacing it with a second grow for training etc. etc.
    By the end of vegative my flower room should be complete.

Before harvest I will pick my favorite clones saving a month from growing from seed. After harvest 15 pound smart pots will be emptied into a 400 smart pot with a sub irrigation system for recycling into my home grow and further cultivation. This will allow me to maintain a working garden and medicine cabinet.
    Last edited by Paracelsus; 02-24-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Comment

This is the man that inspired me to do this style of No Till grow. He calls himself the Herbin Farmer. This is cycle one of the three cycles he’s completed. really amazing thread, great footage, intelligent commentary!
        check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NeE1rZ7sfTUXw7

Comment

what water supply will you be using for your organic grow?
          Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
          600W HPS
          Coco
          GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
          Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

City water through a R/O filter. I haven’t sourced the actual one I want yet, it has to be one that doesn’t have impeded Flow yet doesn’t create a lot of waste since I’m going to be recycling it in a community garden a few blocks away and up the hill. I believe the Herbin farmer is using water straight out of the tap after he lets it sit now.

Comment

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              OzBud yeah so I found out by watching the guy I love to hate Grow Boss, On YouTube. That if you take the pressure tank out of the system you can decrease your waste water to a one to one ratio. He makes his own that is meant for gardening not for drinking water although you can drink the water

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	179495 Blood Orange pips soaked February 1 st 72 hours then moved to Non bleached recycled brown paper towel in a baggie in a warm dark closet. Checked after 14 days moved seedling into manure compost from community garden mixed heavy with egg shells, coffee grounds and muscle shells. Placed under 4 T5 48” fixture 21 February. Ground zero first sprouted on Saturday February 24, 80* f , 70 % rh provides by wet towels and water on the stove
            Last edited by Paracelsus; 02-24-2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• KingKush
              KingKush commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful.
              I stumbled upon Ocean Grown Seeds a few weeks ago, quickly became one of my favorite breeders. Looking real nice my friend, I'm excited to see how these genetics perform for you.

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello KingKush, a box of worms showed up anonymously at my door? Do you happen to know anything about that?

• KingKush
              KingKush commented
              Editing a comment
              Paracelsus
              No, and I still need to do a make-up from the other month. I'm terrible about following through sorry buddy.

This video the first part in this series on no till gardening happens to be made by the breeder of my seeds strain He uses the name Vader. Ocean Grown is his company. He is a really good videographer. He has his own different unique style to shooting and telling the story. He also has the perspective of a breeder which is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Lzj...Ybd3UilL-2TqDF
            Last edited by Paracelsus; 04-15-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Jibblerjoe
              Jibblerjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Vader got great videos too. He is even doing some no till experimentation. As for the ocean grown genetics vaderog are a solid hybrid.

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              @Jibberjoe I really think he makes the best instructional videos because it doesn’t feel like their instructional videos it feels like television

Lots of luck and fun with your grow Paracelsus! I've tried several things over the past 3 grows and have settled on autos, Kind Soil, and fiber pots. I don't want to be a slave to my grow. I enjoy working it, but all the nutrients and things that are necessary with regular soil is just too much. I want a stress free grow and this is the best for me. I guess we all have our own way. I don't want to do hydro, or dwc, seems like too much work. I haven't checked out the link yet, sorry, my attention span is super short nowadays.
            I add to my supplies as I can afford it, and am just about where I want to be. I want to add some solar but can't afford it right now, but one day....
            Keep working toward that desired grow and you'll get there and you can share each and every milestone with us!
            Current grow:
            2-300w led lights
            1- 60w cfl for germination
            2- 5 gal fiber pots
            Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
            Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
            Seeds:
            Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
            Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
            Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
            Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecanoe View Post
              . I don't want to be a slave to my grow. I enjoy working it, but all the nutrients and things that are necessary with regular soil is just too much. I want a stress free grow and this is the best for me. I guess we all have our own way.
              Viva la difference! Funny your naming the reasons I chose no til LOL. Really no more bottles, no more changing the formula when you go from growth cycle seed to veg ph up down up down, measuring ml this and cup that watch out you don’t get lock out and root rot. I’m going to feed the soil not the plant.
              Herbin Farmer got it growing on.

Comment

• bluecanoe
                bluecanoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I'm content to use super soil and just ph water when I start to run low, the girls are wanting more to drink lately so it's more often. But I don't have to change water, adjust light schedules, measure a plethora of nutrients and worry whether or not I have some sort of deficiency. It's plant, water, and grow! When I harvest, I will take the soil to my flower garden and use it there. Our soil is so bad that I don't trust growing anything edible, and I don't want to grow in pots outside, even though I'd love to have a community garden, but I have lazy neighbors and they would let me do all the work and then help themselves to my harvest, if there's anything left after the deer, squirrels, birds and other critters that live in my yard have their pick.

• Paracelsus
                Paracelsus commented
                Editing a comment
                Well actually what you’re doing is very close to what I’m doing it’s just your soil recepie is taken from a basic level of goodness with the same combination as my basic recipe. Then yours is preloaded with all the minerals and amendment for the whole growth cycle. In fact the original recipe as written in the language of the author is referred to as a Kind soiI more than one time, not meant as a brand but as a philosophy. What you have With the marketing label of Kind soil Is a very close relative of No Till Gardening. Really marketing genius having the make believe Mr. kind
                Last edited by Paracelsus; 02-27-2018, 03:41 AM.

Deutsch: Hanfpflanze. A blühende männliche und B fruchtende weibliche Pflanze in natürl. Grösse; 1 männliche Blüthe, vergrössert; 2 und 3 Staubbeutel von verschiedenen Seiten, desgl.; 4 Pollenkorn, desgl.; 5 weibliche Blüthe mit Schutzblatt, desgl.; 6 dieselbe ohne Schutzblatt, desgl.; 7 Fruchtknoten im Längsschnitt, desgl.; 8 Frucht mit Schutzblatt, desgl.; 9 dieselbe ohne Schutzblatt, desgl.; 10 Same, desgl.; 11 derselbe im Querschnitt, desgl.; 12 derselbe im Längsschnitt, desgl.; 13 Same ohne Samenschale, desgl.
              English: Hemp plant. A flowering male and B seed-bearing female plant, actual size; 1 male flower, enlarged detail; 2 and 3 pollen sac of same from various angles; 4 pollen grain of same; 5 female flower with cover petal; 6 female flower, cover petal removed; 7 female fruit cluster, longitudinal section; 8 fruit with cover petal; 9 same without cover petal; 10 same; 11 same in cross-section; 12 same in longitudinal section; 13 seed without hull.
              Latina: Cannabis sativa.
              Alternative names W.O.Müll.; W. O. Müller
              Description German botanist
              Date of birth/death 20 June 1833 17 July 1887
              Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	180263

Last edited by Paracelsus; 02-27-2018, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Check all three sites up from the ridiculous to the sublime

http://www.microbeorganics.com/#So_Y...ost_Tea_Brewer

https://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/15...structions-diy

So You Wanna Build A Compost Tea Brewer

Terms:
                * = degree(s); CT = compost tea; ACT = aerated compost tea; O2 = oxygen; CO2 = carbon dioxide
                DO2 = dissolved oxygen; CFM = cubic feet per minute; PPM = parts per million

There are several ways to make your own compost tea brewer which may not produce the equivalent results to some commercially available models but should provide you with a microbial extract you can apply to your soil and plants. When I first started messing around with brewers, I experimented with what we had lying in our various junk heaps around the farm; cast-offs from buying the wrong part at the plumbing store, outdated irrigation systems, left over pipe, dead vehicles and other modern broken things. Therefore, if you are a junk collector like me, you may already have much of what you require to build a compost tea brewer.

First of all I’d like to make it clear that most aquarium air pumps don’t produce enough air to use in a container larger than 1 gallon when considering making an aerated brewer. So don’t even try the 5 gallon pail with the aquarium pump idea everybody is passing around. You need a minimum 0.05 CFM (cubic feet per minute), open flow of air and an optimum 0.08 CFM per gallon (US) or higher to make aerated compost tea (ACT). ACT should have the DO2 sustained at or above 6 PPM. Generally, aquarium pumps produce around 0.02 to 0.16 CFM. Another generality is that 25 watts of power usually produces 0.75 to 1.0 CFM in diaphragm air pumps. The wattage is usually marked on the pump which will help you figure out the approximate output. I’ll cover more on air pumps later.

In the following I will outline some simple methods of building a variety of compost tea makers. I am not going to discuss anaerobic methods at this time. Later on I may add some sketches.

1/ Stir Method: The cheapest way to make compost tea is the old fashioned way. Just add compost to clean, non-chlorinated, water (above 65 degrees F. recommended) and stir like mad with a clean stick or whathaveyou. I’d recommend using about 3 to 5% compost by volume of water and stir it up as often as you can over an 8 to 12 hour period. Some people do it over a 24 hour period and also add some foodstock like molasses, fish hydrolysate and kelp. You can experiment with different times and ingredients and decide for yourself. If you have a microscope, check it out. When you feel that you have a completed compost tea (CT) you can remove it in several ways. If you have just used a 5 gallon pail you can simply let the particulate matter settle and pour the clearer CT off into watering cans or your sprayer.

Filtering;
                You can place a submersible pump into a mesh bag as a screen, drop it into the tank (barrel, pail) and pump the CT out. I use a regular cheap sump pump for this with a 800 to 1000 micron mesh bag (about the size of window screen) See the testing I did; Does Microbial Life Survive Pump Impellers? . You can purchase mesh bags at www.aquaticeco.com or make your own. Likewise, you can filter the CT by placing the same size screen over top of another pail and pour or siphon the CT through the mesh into the other vessel. If residue builds up, stop and clean off the mesh. As residue builds up it stops the passage of the microbes you want. Never run CT through a pipe constrained filter unless essential as part of your irrigation system or spray rig.

2/ The Venturi Method: If you only have a water pump and wish to make a compost tea brewer you can inject air into the water by using a venturi. I have provided a sketch and text showing how to make your own or you can purchase them from http://www.aquaticeco.com . Basically the venturi creates a vacuum which interfaces with the water as it passes by, sucking air and mixing it with the water. It is quite an efficient method of oxygenating water. If you have a really tough water pump which does not clog, like a trash pump, you may run this type of brewer without a mesh extractor bag. Most are going to want to use a mesh extractor, so I recommend TEEing your water line downstream from the venturi with one return line suspended above the water and the other return line going into the mesh extractor. Undoubtedly you will require a valve to regulate the flow so all of the water does not just take the easiest route to the pipe suspended over the water. To build a CT brewer beyond the stir method, some basic knowledge of fitting plumbing parts and pipes together is essential, as well as some engineering instincts. If you are not up for this just save yourself the aggravation and buy a brewer. You may use your imagination for a mesh extractor. For a small brewer of 100 gallons or less, 400 microns is an ideal mesh size. Sometimes for large brewers which may run for several days to establish a functional nutrient cycling consortia a larger mesh size like 800 µm may be a better choice. This is because, as noted above, the mesh may clog up a little over time. A friend of mine successfully brewed CT using this method in a 5000 gallon brewer for many years. He used 2, barrel sized mesh extractor bags sewn from landscape cloth. He ran a return line into each bag, which was ¾ full of compost and tied off each bag tightly around the pipe so nothing could get out the top. These were dropped into the water (with his tractor) and 2 other return pipes pumped in oxygenated water. You can use your imagination to create mesh extractors, dependent on the size of your brewer, the materials at hand and what works for you. You can even create a basket which is partially above the surface to prevent particulate escape. These systems are not great for extracting and growing fungal hyphae but they produce bacteria/archaea and protozoa just fine.

The Gas Exchange;
                The reason for suspending the other pipe(s) above the water is so it splashes into the water, breaking the water’s surface tension and additionally pushing more air into the water like a water fall or running river does. The surface tension of water is unique in its toughness; it surpasses that of oil. When I first started experimenting with the venturi method I had the return pipe submerged. The effects were profound. As the water filled with air, generated by the venturi, the water level rose, even over flowing my 1200 gallon tank. At the time, I thought this was a good sign that I was oxygenating the water. Sure, I was getting air in but was not getting the maximum dissolved oxygen possible with my system. Later when I learned that gas exchange means, ‘trading one gas for another’, I realized that the surface tension must be broken for the optimum gas exchange to occur. In this case, we are trading carbon dioxide (CO2) for oxygen (O2) or dissolved oxygen (DO2). CO2 must make way for DO2. In water, CO2 has two ways of being dissipated (of which I am aware). It is either used by organisms, like water plants or it must escape at the surface interface. In a brewer we have no plants and the microbes we are growing use O2 and create CO2, so the CO2 must escape at the surface. Because of the high surface tension of water, if we break the surface, this escape or release is facilitated and we improve the efficiency of our CT brewer. Once we started suspending the return pipe above the surface, providing a hardy splash to break the surface, we had no further over flows and the DO2 increased. NOTE: This principle applies to air driven brewers as well. The better the surface tension is broken, the better the capacity to contain DO2 in the water.

3/ The Vortex Method: There are many who claim that running water in a vortex pattern comprised of multiple mini vortices changes the properties of water beneficially. I remain dubious but open-minded. You can form your own opinion on this subject. One thing a vortex brewer is very good for is ensuring a full circulation of all the water and compost added. There can be no ‘dead zones’; none of the feared anaerobic pockets!! There is no point to considering the use of a mesh extractor with a vortex brewer unless you conceive of some genius method of suspending a mesh container in the center of the flow. Therefore this design is for those of you who don’t mind using compost in free suspension and deal with the particulate matter later. A vortex action in a CT brewer is pretty much dependent on the shape of the vessel used, combined with the direction of the input flow ‘nozzles’ or pipe ends and finally on the ability of the design to empty from a centrally located opening at the bottom of the vessel and the return of the water emptied, to the top of the vessel, to repeat the trip. Shapewise, you must use a round configured vessel. The most efficient shape is a cone shape with a drain hole at the bottom. Rather than go through a complex description of how to construct an air driven vortex brewer, I’m including this Internet link which illustrates a design by Steven Storch which he has offered up to the public;
                http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/tw/turbo-vortex.htm One with engineering instincts will come up with a variety of ways to modify this design. For example this design can be transposed to a 50 gallon sized barrel with a drain hole placed in the bottom. You would of course need a larger air pump and need to set the barrel up on blocks or legs. These systems produce a full compliment of microbes (bacteria/archaea, protozoa and fungal hyphae).

One can also create a vortex brewer using a water pump to return the water to the top of the vessel again. Very handy if that is what you have laying around in your junk pile. The advanced thinkers will have already mindfully jumped to the idea that including a venturi with a water pump driven vortex is going to increase its efficiency exponentially. Well….at least a lot. Give yourself a gold star, a pat on the back, a chocolate cookie. Bear in mind, that if you use a water pump you will limit fungal hyphae extraction and growth.

3a/ Simple Airlift - Vortex: done my way
                I've had many requests to provide a simple design for an airlift brewer. This sketch of a simple design cone bottom tank brewer can be applied to just about any size brewer. Just don't start selling them or I'll have to sue you.
                If you wish to create a vortex using this design make sure you use a round shaped tank and position the return nozzle (elbow) so it is directional to the flow desired. This can be reversed by twisting the elbow and tweaked by using a short length of pipe as an extension. I'll try to post some photos shortly.

4/ Bubble Blowers; There are 2 basic styles of commercial bubble blower CT brewers. What I mean by bubble blowers, is that their function depends on just that; blowing bubbles into the water, into a mesh extractor or both. They do not actively move the water, aside from the effect of the bubbles. Because of this, I find it a paradox that they refer to their units as AACT (actively aerated compost tea) brewers to separate themselves from only, aerated compost tea (ACT) brewers, which supposedly just blow air into water. This remains a mystery unto me. I won’t name these brewers because they include almost every commercial brewer available, except mine of course, which should be separated from those by being called an AAACT brewer (giggle). No offense; just kidding around.

Anyway, back to business. A very simple method you can use to make an aerated CT brewer is to use some rigid PVC thin walled pipe (not schedule 40 because it is difficult to make tiny holes in) of approximately ½ inch to ¾ inch size. Rigid pipe is better than flex pipe because it holds its shape, can be cleaned more easily and is easier to drill and saw. Use a straight piece which is approximately as long as your proposed tank is high, joined to a 90* elbow, then following the dimensional circumference of the bottom of your tank build a roughly round hexagon or octagon or whateveragon alternating with PVC fittings (45* or 11*, 22* to 30* if you can find them http://pvcfittings.com ) and short lengths of pipe, terminating just before you hit the elbow which the long pipe slides into. Over the end of this last piece of pipe in your whateveragon slide a cap. None of this needs to be glued (usually) because we are not dealing with high pressure and the whole thing can be taken apart for easy cleaning. We now need three more things. An air supply, an air input interface with the pipe and diffusers. A diffuser is an interface between air and water which ‘diffuses’ of course, air into the water. No matter what name people give it, like orifice or air stone, hole, slit or slot, it is still a diffuser. The smaller the diffuser opening within the capacity of the air pump to push air through easily, the greater the efficiency at raising and maintaining the dissolved oxygen. Therefore you want to put the smallest holes or slits possible at intervals in the short pieces of pipe you used to construct your whateveragon. If you have an electric drill you can drill 1/16th inch holes. You can try cutting slits with a razor knife or very fine hack saw or other blade. A hacksaw cuts around 1000 microns width. I get machined slots which are 254 microns. Make your openings so they are coming out the bottom angled towards the center to begin with. (The pipe is not glued so you can rotate them). For your first trial only put a few air openings in each length of pipe (e.g. 2” spaces). We want the air traveling all the way to the end of the whateveragon. Now to try it out, I guess we better get some air happening.

First of all, for your air input you need to match air tubing with your air pump and get a threaded barbed fitting that the tubing fits over and a slip X female threaded coupling to go over your long straight piece of PVC pipe which goes down and joins to your whateveragon. This, you may need to glue.
                I have provided a rudimentary representative sketch to help illustrate the basic construction >click here

A Word About Diaphragm Air Pumps;
                If you are going to buy a pump to run your aerated CT brewer I now (as of Feb 2015) recommend the Elemental line of commercial air pumps. Like ECO commercial air they are a combination piston and rubber (diaphragm) pump but they are quieter and seem to out perform the ECOs for the same price range. The Elemental 951 gph which we are using with our Mini-Microbulator outputs 2.5 CFM and the 1744 gph which we will be using with our 50 gallon airlift Microbulator measures an average 5.3 CFM (ECO 5 is 4.0 CFM). On top of that, these pumps are painted and it seems there is a higher standard applied to their manufacture. In the USA you can purchase this line through buildasoil.com. If there is enough demand we will sell these pumps in (from) Canada

I can also recommend Hailea 9730 pumps (2 CFM max.) which you can purchase from www.aquaticeco.comand other places. These are solid, long lasting pumps and I know other commercial brewers use them for 50 gallons but I just can’t recommend them for more than 30 gallons. If you use one for a 5 gallon unit it will last virtually forever. All of these pumps come with a little threaded brass fitting for screwing into the air output. DO NOT USE THESE! Put them in your parts drawer. These constrict the air and reduce your CFM by at least 20%. Rather, find tubing which slides over the nipple into which the threads are tapped. In the case of the Eco Plus 5 and the Hailea, 5/8ths inside diameter works. Slide the air tubing over and secure with a gear clamp. The Eco Plus has a very short nipple so I score the metal with a couple of swipes with a hacksaw to create barbs for the tubing to grip. You can find tubing at a building supply like Home Depot or Rona in Canada. I use the braided reinforced stuff which does not kink. Always try to keep your pump at or above the surface of the water so it does not siphon back if the power fails.

Now that we have our air supply you can slide the tubing over the barbed fitting air input on the end of your straight piece of PVC and fire her up. Ooops! Forgot the spring clamp. You can use a spring clamp to pinch the long PVC air pipe to the edge of your tank at the top. This keeps the hole thing from floating and you can adjust the distance your whateveragon is from the bottom. Spring clamps are like giant clothes pegs http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,43838&p=41712

I’m sure you can find them at Home Depot too or you may think up another idea (like a ‘C’ clamp).

Okay fire up the pump and fill up your tank (pail, barrel) with water. Watch the amount of air coming out of the openings you made. What we want is air coming out right to the end of the whateveragon and even dispersal all around and we want really broiling water bubbling up to the surface. The reason I suggested angling the openings on the bottom towards the center of the tank is so it would sweep right up from the base. You can raise it closer to the surface to get a better look at how evenly the air is coming out. You can also just put the air tube end in the water, right to the bottom so you can get an idea of your air potential and how much should be coming out of the holes you made. You don’t want to restrict the air flow. If you feel comfortable that you need more air coming out start adding more openings (on top), beginning at the cap end on the top of the pipe and working your way around towards the air input. You’ll get the hang of it. If you screw up, no biggy cause you are using really short pieces of very cheap pipe, not glued and you can redo and experiment to your heart’s content.

This is very similar to the KIS 5 gallon brewer (a very efficient little brewer; buy one if you don't like doing this) so their compost brew kits will be ideal to use with this. You can use this system with compost and feedstock in free suspension (added directly to the water) or in the case of a 5 gallon set up you can probably get away with placing your compost and solid food into a mesh bag tightly tied up and floating around in the water. The turbulence may keep it suspended. You could put some fishing floats or ping pong balls in it to be sure it won’t sink.

If you wish to use an extractor bag with a larger brewer, then you can use a variation of the set up previously described, except that you have a PVC air line entering your (tube/sock shaped) mesh extractor bag with diffuser openings close to the bottom of the bag and with a cap on the end of the pipe. This pipe should go very close to the bottom of the bag. You will need to tie off or fashion a lid for the extractor bag or keep the top above the water surface. As stated previously, 400 microns is the optimum sized mesh to use. You may purchase a variety of mesh bags from http://www.aquaticeco.com . You can experiment with the number of diffuser openings which provides sufficient agitation. These types of systems depend upon the agitation of the compost against the mesh, caused by the air, to extract the microbes from the compost. Some systems have no additional air diffusion outside of the mesh extractor, while others incorporate one or more additional diffusers. One could TEE off from the air line, one diffuser going into the mesh bag, the other into the water. A valve to regulate the air flow would be necessary in this case. Alternatively one could use two air pumps. One could combine both designs, using a whateveragon diffuser and another pipe going into the mesh extractor.

Diffusers;
                One could incorporate good quality glass bonded diffusers if one did not wish to mess with PVC pipes and making their own diffusers. These diffusers are resistant to break down by microbes and can be cleaned with muriatic acid (but are not environmentally friendly to clean). They are called Sweetwater medium bore diffusers and are available at http://www.aquaticeco.com . They are far superior to homemade PVC diffusers in terms of sustaining DO2 because they produce finer bubbles . There is no truth (that I have seen) to the statement that fine bubbles damage some microbes.

Anaerobes;
                Many people are overly anxious about having any anaerobic microbes in their CT. If you have a tremendous number of ciliates in your CT, or if it stinks to high heavens, there is a likelihood that your CT has gone anaerobic and you should toss it. However, I would not worry about seeing a healthy number of ciliates (if you have a microscope), especially if there are also high numbers of flagellates and/or amoebae. Additionally anaerobic (facultative and obligate) bacteria and archaea occur naturally in the soil and other environments and their existence is part of the balance of nature so don’t worry if you have a few in your consortia.

Cleaning;
                You should clean out your brewer after each use, especially the extractor bag if you use one.

Conversions;
                1 US gallon = 3.78 litres (liters)
                1 US quart = 0.946 litre (liter)
                1 micrometer or micron (µm) = 0.000039 inch (39/100000ths)
                For converting mesh to microns: http://chemplazaonline.com/meshsizecoverter.aspx

I think I’ve covered the basics. If anyone has any suggestions or if you notice any errors, please speak up.

Last edited by Paracelsus; 02-27-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X