LED causing cal/mag deficiency with kindsoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED causing cal/mag deficiency with kindsoil

So I was on Reddit and saw something about how Cal/mag is like sunscreen for plants and using led lights will require more cal/mag. Or some sorta shit like that.

I have a Northern Lights Auto growing in KindSoil and under a 1000w cob. And I’ve noticed a few rust colored spots on some of the lower leaves hidden from light. (Quickly looking at plants before work, so I could be off just a bit on this info)

My ph is spot on I am 99% sure it is not a ph problem.

So my question is, is this true, LEDs cause your girls to use more cal/mag?? And if so how do you guys suggest I go about this ?? Let it play out a little longer?? Give a minuscule amount of cal/mag in my next feeding?? Kind soil bag says not to add any supplements, but then why am I seeing a deficiency right??
    3rd Grow
    Amnesia Haze, Bubbliciois, Super Skunk
    Tent- 4x4x6.5
    Light- 600w HPS/ 220w COB
    Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
    Pots- 3gal fabric
    Nutrients- None

I grow under LED and I have been continually battling cal mag deffeciency’s.... I am sure of my PH as well. I have also read it could possibly be related to LED use.

It would take me another couple of grows of the same strain in the same exact conditions just with differant Lights to confirm it. With time Ill confirm it one way or another.

in the meantime I add 1ml cal mag per 1 liter of h20.

If youre seeing rust spots I would mix up a foilar with cal mag for a quick dose.

I dont know why.... but I also foilar with Thrive Alive B1 and they seem to perk up as well. Might be the B1 helps.

Cal mag deffecient plants are sad 😞 plants....

Comment

I hav etwo critical plants in my Auto room that are photos (I thought they were Autos lol) they are in kind soil but have been in the room for about 3 months they both are starting to show deficiencies . I have been adding voodoo juice to my auto seedlings and a little molasses . I dont know about them needing extra cal/mag
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I too notice calmag deficiencies under my leds in the first 2 weeks of growth I give them double the dose that I normaly give for the first 3 weeks it seems to work. My ph is allways in range.
        I am glad we are finding a common element because I grow in dwc so it has nothing to do with the growing media.
        It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

Yes, It's true: the increased need for Cal/Mag when using LED's is well documented and MarsHydro began sending that info with LED's about 18 months ago.

I experienced it a couple of years ago and solved the problem by adding Cal/mag- through flower week #5.
          What I did was add 3ml's of Cal/Mag a couple of times a week when watering (per plant in 3-5 gallon containers).

Here is the concern when using Organic Soil-
          High doses of nutrients may kill the beneficials in the soil.

That said, I have had my best crops watering in minerals: ie Cal/Mag- to Roots Organic Original. (ammended)

Also, keep in mind that ALL nutrient schedules and product claims: are based on plants grown under 1,000w hps in 5 gallon buckets and have to be adjusted whenever you are not growing under those "standard conditions".

Last edited by Weed Pharma; 02-02-2018, 08:41 AM. Reason: added last line for completeness
          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Maybe contact Kind and ask 'em? I know D.A.A.S.69 speaks highly of Phil. (I love their product but haven't dealt with them outside of ordering.)
            My first grow

Comment

• Aloner
              Aloner commented
              Editing a comment
              You've grown in Kind Soil with LEDs, right? I only used the sun so far so I can't really help Kpenn. You ever have any problems with needing CalMag?

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Aloner, yeah I used an led with my first few grows with autos, an no cal-mag, problems, I asked Phil about that an he said no.
              The last couple of times I used kindsoil, I used to much an got slight Nitrogen toxicity, the claw, dark green color, but that was my fault.

• Aloner
              Aloner commented
              Editing a comment
              That's kinda what I figured about the cal-mag.

I am growing under LED and had read about the need for extra cal-mag (not growing in kindsoil). I started with spraying the cal-mag foliar I mixed up when they were seedlings (5ml/gal) and then I added 2ml/gal to every watering and once they were established, I added 5ml/gal to every single feed and every single watering and have had no deficiencies at all. The bottle says 3-5ml for the later stages and I have been using the max of 5ml/gal. I don't know enough about kindsoil, but maybe try using a cal-mag foliar spray and see if things change?

Comment

• gdogfunkly
              gdogfunkly commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been doing it on both grows through veg and I really think it helps a lot. Everything I've read on foliar feeding says it helps it absorb and prevent deficiencies.

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I'm pretty sure it works pretty good, I just ain't never done it ,but when they was seedlings , some friends have sprayed stuff on them when they was just flowering, an messed em up, can't remember what it was he used but they got mold.

• gdogfunkly
              gdogfunkly commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, it should really only be a quick mist, not a drench. If it's too wet, it can cause problems. Some say right at right at lights on when the stomata are open. Others say never during lights on. I do it 2 times a day with a different spray for morning/evening and haven't had a problem with lights on every single day. Fingers crossed...

I think I may contact KindSoil customer service and see what they have to say specifically about the use of LEDs with their product. So much good info on this thread
            3rd Grow
            Tent- 4x4x6.5
            Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
            Pots- 3gal fabric
            Nutrients- None

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Kpenn, he told me, you didn't need any cal-mag, even if you were using coco-loco.

D.A.A.S.69 I’m gonna ride it out and just see what happens, might as well find out.

Also I’m going to update my grow journal on this specific topic throughout the grow anyone interested the link is in my signature,
            3rd Grow
            Tent- 4x4x6.5
            Medium- KindSoil/FFOF
            Pots- 3gal fabric
            Nutrients- None

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't use any cal-mag on my first grow with KindSoil, cause I used tap water, but I use cal-mag everwhere else, I thought everyone did, or new they was supposed to.
              Your gonna be fine, you ain't got long do you ? How many times when you were watering, that some water came out the bottom of your pot ??

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X