Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling for volunteers for a leaf-cooking and consuming experiment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, I decarbed some more trim and simmered it in some coconut oil and water. After an hour I had no effects. About 1.5 hours after eating, holy crap!! Very noticeable difference from just eating the wilted leaves. Lasted for hours. The wilted leaves tasted better. I used 240F for 30 minutes. I chose 30 minutes as the chart showed that THC in trim starts to degrade after 30 minutes. Granted the chart is from 1990, but I doubt that makes it less accurate. It's amazing to know they knew this 28 years ago. Wonder what else they know but have not shared???

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, Madman!! I'm decarbing leaves right now, because there was a great difference between the simmered ones. So I'm pulling the Nova plug early, but they've had a good 30 minutes decarbing.

And I didn't mean the article was worthless; I just noted that it was dated as far as terpenes are concerned. The rest of the info I copied and pasted into a chart.
      Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:07 AM.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Madman960 I was going back over the article, and I found this interesting:

According to a report published by John M. McPartland and Ethan B. Russo "Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts: Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts?", the boiling points (same as vaporization) of the major cannabinoids, terpenoid, and flavonoids range from roughly 246° - 435°F (119° - 250°C).

Question: Is the boiling or vaporization point the same temp at which all the compounds get activated? Or are they activated before they reach the boiling point? The vaporization point is very good to know for vaping, but what about cooking and decarbing? I'm thinking the activation temp has to be slightly lower...???

On this page of ProjectCBD https://www.projectcbd.org/about/ask...boiling-points
      he says at the bottom:
      "CBD doesn’t have a clear set boiling point. 130°C is the boiling point for CBDA, but the boiling point is different than decarboxylation. There are a couple of issues. Decarboxylation happens at different temperatures at different speeds. You lose some of the plant’s compounds when you bake cannabis in the oven, for example. It can be done more slowly at 80°C, but takes several hours. Cannabinoids and other compounds in the plant will sublimate off at a lower temperature."

So I'm concluding that cooking at different temps for different amounts of time will give different results, which one has to play with the same as vaping temperatures. The leaves from one strain will have more of a certain kind of effect from the benefits of more terpenes if the temp's been kept on the lower end, and other effects will be enhanced if the temp's higher or they're cooked/decarbed longer.
      Last edited by alltatup; 01-26-2018, 04:52 AM. Reason: Additional research

• Madman960
      Madman960 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting points alltatup Please keep me posted if you find anything else and I will do the same.

Madman

Morning Alltatup, we put about a half oz of leaves that were in bacon grease an mixed em up like onions an eggs an made scrambled eggs an bacon grease leaves, and it sure tastes good, we still waiting on the buzz, but I feel pretty damn good right now. hahaha
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Cronk let us know how it goes! Did you read above that we are using low heat but for slightly longer times? I have been decarbing my leaves in my Nova machine for 30-40 minutes rather than simmering gently for 8-10, and the effects are definitely more intense.

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      I read that afterward, yes. I'll try more for longer next. I'll be running out of leaves soon. Mann they're sticky

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      But just think of all the future grows, Cronk: None of us is ever gonna throw these leaves out again!! It's a whole new source of riches!

Great Info here, Cant believe I just got directed to this thread and missed it on my own.Thanks all.

Comment

While THCA starts to decarboxylate at around 220 degrees, it won’t reach your lungs until it’s vaporized, which won’t occur until it reaches a higher temperature. There’s currently some debate as to what the precise boiling point of THC really is. Some estimate that THC [vaporizes] at about 315 degrees, while others believe that after accounting for typical air pressure, THC’s boiling point may actually be around 445 degrees Fahrenheit. https://www.harvestofaz.com/bring-th...-temperatures/

And another decent chart:

Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid (THC-A) Boiling Point: 220° F Sedative, Helps prevent seizures.

Cannabidiolic Acid (CBD-A) Boiling Point: 248° F Anti-inflammatory, Anti-tumor.

Pinene Boiling Point: 311° F Anti-inflammatory, Helps treat asthma.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) Boiling Point: 315° F Anti-tumor, helps with nausea, pain and depression.

Caryophyllene Boiling Point: 349 Helps treat depression and anxiety.

Myrcene Boiling Point: 334° F Anti-tumor, Anti-inflammatory.

D-Limonene Boiling Point: 349° F Helps treat depression and anxiety.

Cannabidiol (CBD) Boiling Point: 356° F Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, helps treat chronic pain and epileptic seizures.

Cannabinol (CBN) Boiling Point: 365° F Used to help treat insomnia, also has an anticonvulsant effect.

Linalool Boiling Point: 388° F Helps treat insomnia, anxiety and chronic pain.

Humulene Boiling Point: 388° F Anti-inflammatory, Anti-tumor and helps suppress appetite.

Cannabichromene (CBC) Boiling Point: 428° F Anti-inflammatory, Anti-tumor, used to help treat anxiety, stress and pain.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Californiakid
        Californiakid commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an old original style Volcano (analog not digital). I start it on a lower temp and raise the temp each time I fill the bag. Do you think I'm getting more of each component as opposed to really heating up fast? Looking at the different boiling points made me wonder. Thanks ATU

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Californiakid I do think that. I think I'll start way lower on my Plenty vaporizer, and raise temp on 2nd and again on 3rd go.

wow all those chemicals are in weed thats amazing
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        That's nowhere near all of them; there's over 200, I believe.
        Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:09 AM. Reason: correct info

Alright, So the wife and I have planned to enter the experiment today, but I have a concern.
      Please look at the leaf tips pictured and let me know if you think that is evidence of possible Nute burn. I don't think they should be burned, but several leaf tips started to yellow. Plants are healthy, I have tons of fresh growth saved for the experiment, just not sure about the Nutes situation. I mean obviously the plants have not yet been flushed...
      Thoughts?

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I think those leaves look great. I would just snip off the dead parts, cuz you don't want to eat that.

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        I would never notice if you left it.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        True, Dingus: it won't hurt you. I'm just a stickler about eating the most vibrant leaves, the ones with all the energy in them...

I cooked up a handful of sticky leaves from a minor trimming this morning. I sauteed them in a pan with olive oil very slowly for about 10-15 minutes. It was like kale chips. Then I soaked up the oil with a mushroom. I felt something within 10 minutes and it has steadily increased in intensity over the last 4 hours. To the point where I feel really damn high. Now, I haven't gotten high in long time, this grow is my first go at getting some real medicine but I am really high right now. Man

Unless I'm having a stroke
      complete beginner
      39" x 39" x 78" tent
      315 Watt CMH
      4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
      Automatic top feed into coco.
      Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        ooooo mushrooms sauteed in there! That sounds wonderful!

• Cronk
        Cronk commented
        Editing a comment
        and that lasted a very long time. The mild panic finally dissipated and we went out, ran into friends and had a smoke on the parking lot. It's like I was used to it and had a great little high.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Cronk I'll bet it WAS a surprise if you haven't been high in a while... ;-}

did a small defole on my Jack Herer Auto decarbed the leaves and will have an omelet this morning
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        The best eggs around, I reckon.

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        wow again all morning great buzz

• Dutchman1
        Dutchman1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice !!!!!!

UPCOMING LEAF EXPERIMENT

I'm going to decarb a bag of leaves and put them in everclear, in the fridge (not the freezer). I'll sample at two weeks, and leave the rest. I want to see how a tincture compares to eating the whole leaf, and if it gets stronger with more time. So I'll leave the big jar in the fridge and keep taking samples. If I come out of this alive, I'll report back.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Eating experiment continues and man did I screw up last night— grab the small handful of leaves off the shelf that I trimmed last weekend they were nice and dry. Crunch them up in the frypan with a little bit of olive oil and some water put them on the cook little bit. started it out on high and then turned it down to medium for a while. I kept getting interrupted so I would put a little bit more oil in a little bit more water and just kept simmering it on medium or medium low. When I finally got everything taken care of I just mixed them in with can of chili beans for a cheap burrito snack. By the time I finally got to eat them it was a little after 8 PM. By the time the buzz started Creeping in it was bedtime. I figured I would sleep it off. Got up at 5:30 this morning was a little foggy headed but not bad. But by the time I got to work at 6:30 I was flying high I was too fucked up to work !! I got done the paperwork I needed to finish and I got the hell out of there before the bosses came in. Came home and just let the buzz go.
        It seems to me that the buzz lasts a hell of a lot longer cooking and consuming than it does smoking.
        lesson to self — Can’t be doing that shit during the week!!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          That happened to me eating the leaves. It was like tripping.
          Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:11 AM.

• RosettaStoned
          RosettaStoned commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you guys are just rubbing it in 😒😉

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, Rosetta, that was not an experience I want to repeat.

So...this morning, I was thinking, I never light a jay and put it out. I smoke the whole thing. I cooked up a huge batch of greens and gently cooked it longer.

Hypothesis: More has to be the key for those with fast metabolism and high tolerance . We shall see...
        "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• RosettaStoned
          RosettaStoned commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's, I should try four times as much trim/leaves and see what happens

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty much the same results. Initially I thought I was getting somewhere, but no. So I smoked a bowl and on with my day.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Californiakid RosettaStoned Going over this whole topic, I saw some info: some folks do need 3 to 4 times the amount of other folks to get the same effects. So you may want to try with more leafy greens.
          Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:13 AM.

LEAF TINCTURE:

I decarbed leaves from CBD Nordle, AK and Mazar and put them in 190 proof Everclear. They sat in the freezer (shaken daily) for about a month, and I strained them on Sunday. The tincture is definitely not as strong as eating the whole food, but it is a very good tincture! It's relaxing and pain-relieving, with a nice, mild head buzz. This will be perfect to take before going to work.

I made quite a bit, so this weekend I'm going to experiment with some of it and evaporate the alcohol to see how the oil works.

Tinctures are truly amazing, natural medicine.

Comment

• greenforce
          greenforce commented
          Editing a comment
          I decarb choice buds (1/4 per ltr.) and add to a jug of fine sipping whiskey , shake well and set in dark pantry for a week shaking occasionally. Then I will transfer bottle to cold storage for a week shaking occasionally. After 2 weeks in the lower proof wiskey I can only guess that the alcohol has absorbed all the goodies that it is able. Now I filter out the organic matter. Before bubble bags I used a coffee filter but now I use a #90 mic. bag. No steams,No seeds, things you don't need. I spike my Bullet with bad ass weed ! ✌

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          greenforce Tinctures have become my favorite way of taking cannabis. Your recipe sounds delicious!!!

the last batch of leaves I did it was about double what I had done before .so I made my omelet and could not finish it so I put half in fridge then I smoked a hoobaa and went down cellar first to feed the chickens then to work on plants well I got the chickens fed but when I got to the grow area the leaves kicked in and I had to sit for ten minutes then took an hour to get up 2 flights of stairs and I never got any work on plants done lol It took the morning for the effects to wear off now I dont want to give any to the chickens so I can dry and store for myself lol

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          and on a lighter note buddy is looking for a nesting spot so she is crawling in and out of tight places yes she gets stuck, and then she trys to have sex with a paper towel ,comes over to get her head scratched, will bite if I stop scratching lol not hard mind you shes just saying dont stop

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          That's great, OJH!!! Gotta love them leaves and all their incredible potential!!!!!

As for buddy, that means she's nice and healthy!!!

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          I think we need to see a video of some Buddy-On-PaperTowel action.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X