Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling for volunteers for a leaf-cooking and consuming experiment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're all going to be so regular!

Yesterday, I donned the green head lamp and picked 11 grams of leaves, about a small side salad's worth. I snipped them with scissors and tossed in about 1/4 cup of water and 1tbsp of bacon grease. I simmered it for about 1/2 hour. I tried to make it look like my mother in law's collard greans. It needed some salt and lemon pepper. Out of fear of incapacitation, I only ate about half of it, but it was after breakfast.

A few hours later, I thought I could feel a light tingling body high, and general uplift in my mood, but not stoned AF.

When the tent lights came back on I did the 3 week defol that I planned on, cut some clones and made another small pile of leaves which sat out overnight. This morning, they were dry and wilted as you would expect a little pile of clipping.

Since I have it, and I'm trying it on everything with the zeal of a new convert, I decarbed the leaves in the Nova, and sauteed them in the greasy pan that I fried pork chops in for breakfast, deglazing the pan with lime juice, olive oil, and more lemon pepper, and ate that with scrambled eggs and the aforementioned pork chops.

It had the texture of Japanese seaweed poke salad with a completely different nutty flavor, that was a complete surprise that settled into something pleasant, especially with the cheesy scrambled eggs. I'm trying to learn to make what I call the Japanese Splurt Omelet (help with the name, please??) that looks like an alien pod that you slice it open on top, it blows open like a giant zit.

Maybe I will use a little less tart on the acid for deglaze, next time.

And there will definitely be a next time, only with more leaves, and maybe some trim. Again, I have a nice, background euphoria with a mild body buzz on the top of my head and across my shoulders. Not exactly relaxing, but tingly.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. dingus, you are quite the gourmand!

I ate a small amt. this morning--n an empty stomach. Maybe more leaves wereneeded with all that food.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm waiting for someone to go with a big ass Cobb Salad and go viral. I don't have anything that big right now.

Very relaxed. Didn't want to get up off the couch. When I did get up, I noticed the numbness in my left leg was more profound.

Madman

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Was the numbness good or bad? Did it go away?

• Madman960
      Madman960 commented
      Editing a comment
      The numbness is always there. I typically walk with my left knee locked out. Even tho my knee was locked out, it was hard to move around. Just felt like it might give out. Just more profound than normal.

so I made a omelet with fresh eggs from the chickens who I feed weed leaves to and I added a hand full of fresh leaves I had sauteed them first it was different and with that and 1 doobie I didn't go looking for meds again till about 1 pm so I am a convert
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      AMEN,brother!!! I'm so glad to hear it worked for ya!!!

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      I might have to try this weed leaf omelet

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I also felt the need to go find my bong a lot less yesterday.

I tried this the first time u brought it up I cooked it like spinach and ate a hand full but honestly I couldn't handle the Floral taste and did not feel any effects

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      St.buds I also find the taste kind of hard to handle, so I hold my nose while I'm eating my greens. It's just too perfumey.

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree but I will give it another try for ur thread and report back

Finally having a chance to update after my omelette breakfast yesterday. Within an hour I had a pretty good buzz going. Took about two hours before I really started flying. I didn’t partake in any other form of cannabis yesterday and could feel the effects for a good 8 to 10 hours. These were strictly fan leaves in my omelette. Worked very well for me !!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear it!!! What was the strain? That is so awesome!! We are really on to something magical here!!!

• facs_grow
      facs_grow commented
      Editing a comment
      3 strains- CBD Durban, CBD Somango and Blueberry

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      The CBD strains are pretty amazing. I ate a small portion very early this morning and I was relaxed at work all day today.
      Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 05:58 AM.

This is the best experiment ever!
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Madman960
      Madman960 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have to agree that the whole plant packs a punch.

I don't know the heat setting on a vape product. I mention that because of the 5 to 10 seconds to heat the flower. Makes me wonder if it's a full decarb or partial. I don't know how to check.

Thanks for posting this thread alltatup. I had a pain free day after eating the fan leaves the other day. 8 or 9 hours pain free. The only other thing that I use to relieve pain is alcohol. Eating the wilted leaves was my 1st experience with cannabis that worked. I smoked a few times with my best friend a few years ago when I 1st got out of the Marine Corps. I felt nothing. The only 2 downsides were I had to focus on keeping my left leg from wobbling when I walked and yesterday the pain came back and felt more intense after having a day off. I don't have enough leaves to eat everyday. So I am very pleased with the results.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Madman, now you know to store the leaves in the freezer! I'm really glad to hear that you had a pain-free day. Another thing I want to try after I harvest is the same thing with buds: gently simmer some cut up bud and eat it. I think that we can safely assume that it doesn't need be be cured to be good this way.

My vaporizer's usually set at around 410 F. This is a really good question: when the good stuff vaporizes, is it instantaneously decarbed?

Additional information: decarbing takes place at a much lower temp than boiling (vaporizing) point.
      Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:02 AM. Reason: Add info

• Madman960
      Madman960 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my 1st grow so I know to keep my leaves at least in flowering stage. Not sure if fan leaves from veg would have the same effect.

Vaping must decarb in some fashion. There are loads of ABV recipes for tinctures and oils. Already Been Vaped=ABV. Just no idea if it's a full decarb or partial. Makes me wonder if there's an at home test to determine full decarb or partial. I figure more studies need to be done to find out for certain.

Well I managed to literally screw up.
    I completely spaced the freezer part.
    I simmered way to long, (I had to call my wife & ask her if she would set it on a cooling rack, maybe 25-30min.)
    I finally made my way home and back to the brew a couple hours later.
    Wow, it was wohaww. Then I slugged it down.
    I'm not much for wilted anything accept lettuce in bacon grease with...yes? More bacon.
    With all that being said. I will report back that fresh into the pot, no buzz did it make.
    I would have to assume that the crux of this biscuit would be in the freezer. At this juncture for myself I can't really say, because I spaced on that detail but, maybe on my next attempt I'll get-er dunn.
    Until later. G

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      greenforce Nah, the freezer isn't at all necessary; that's just for storage.

heres the omelet I sauteed it first in butter not bad about a hour after I smoked a doobee and was set for the morning didn't go looking for anything else .
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks delicious!

I want to thank everyone who volunteered for this experiment.

It was interesting to learn that some folks don't get high off of edibles at all.

My next project is to decarb some leaves in my Nova, mix with some oil and put into capsules which I'll store in the freezer.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I may not float like others, but I am continuing to eat raw and cooked cannabis. I forgot how much I enjoy it cooked. Thanks ATU for the nudge back in the right direction. Lol
      "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

@ATU, I found this on Leafly and thought you might enjoy it. A bit long but worth the read.

Many cannabis consumers think that customizing their cannabis buzz is limited to the strains they have on their shelves, but temperature is an equally important factor.

Think of temperature control as the key to unlocking whatever effects a strain can offer. A strain that’s high in CBD(non-psychoactive, relaxing, anti-epileptic), for example, must be heated to the compound’s boiling point of 356°F if you’re to reap its benefits. Likewise, the relaxing terpene linalool isn’t unleashed until you hit 388°F. Temperature can also determine a strain’s intensity: higher temperatures typically exaggerate effects while lower temperatures offer a more gentle, mellow experience.

This type of customization isn’t possible through smoking. When you bring a lighter to your bowl, you’re combusting the plant material which creates smoke, carbon dioxide, and other harmful byproducts. The temperature is hot enough to activate the THC and other compounds, but this “sledgehammer approach” isn’t terribly efficient, as temperatures that high can also destroy volatile but pertinent cannabinoids and terpenes.

Knowing that cannabis has a variety of precious constituents with different boiling points, I wanted to see how temperature affected the overall experience felt by different strains. Lining up a row of strain jars like test tubes, I turned on my trusty Herbalizerand began playing mad scientist.

Low Temperatures for Clear-Headed, Functional Effects

310°F to 330°F
        Recommended for: mild euphoria, focus, productivity, subtle relaxation

There’s a time and place to be stoned off your rocker, but sometimes all you need is the slightest kick from your cannabis. For days when you need uplifting relief to carry you through chores and tasks, low-temp vaping is the key to a functional, productive buzz.

I loaded my Headband concentrate and set my vaporizer to 320°F in order to release three key constituents: the uplifting, focus-feeding terpene pinene; the pepper-flavored anti-inflammatory terpene caryophyllene; and of course, the psychoactive commander in chief, THC. Despite high levels of THC, vaporizing at this temperature didn’t make me feel stoned in the slightest. Instead, I was left feeling acutely alert and in complete control of my faculties. The taste was a subtle mix of herbs and pine, but certainly lacked the loud flavors found at higher temperatures.

Turning the heat up to 330°F, the high became slightly more intense but tasks and concentration were still completely manageable. The 290-330°F range seems the perfect fit for those who wish to stay productive and functional, cannabis novices and newbies, and/or anyone sensitive to THC’s side effects (dizziness, paranoia, dry eyes/mouth, lethargy, etc.).

Why Low Temperatures are So Important for Dabbing

Moderate Temperatures for a Balanced Buzz

330°F to 370°F
        Recommended for: moderate euphoria, enhanced sensory awareness, mood elevation, functional relaxation

As you increase the heat, more THC is volatilized and your high becomes more intense. This middle range — 330°F to 370°F – gives rise to more euphoric effects that help elevate the mood, stimulate giggles, and kick start the appetite. It’s more functional than when you push past the 370°F mark, but you will most definitely start to feel the stone that lower temperatures spared you.

Historically, 365°F has been the sweet spot for me (I’ll never forget because the first time I vaporized, my friend read the machine’s clock-like screen and thought it was 3:65PM). I’ve always loved the combination of tamed euphoria coupled with the subtle relaxation and focus found at this temperature. I turned my Herbalizer up to 365°F and dished out more of the Headband wax. The vapor felt fuller than it did at 330°F, and the flavor was perfectly fruity with the aftertaste of sweet vanilla licorice. Its effects were distinctly different from the low-temp experience: my thoughts went from a sloppy sprint to a relaxed walking pace, allowing me to unwind and focus.

Whether you’re kicking back with a book, exercising, socializing, cleaning, or playing video games, these moderate temperatures provide most of the cannabinoids and terpenes you want without fully volatilizing the THC – I know many people who would want as much THC as possible, but for others it’s about achieving a careful balance of clear-headedness and blissful elevation.

Cannabinoids 101: What Makes Cannabis Medicine?

High Temperatures for Intense Euphoria and Relaxation

370°F to 430°F
        Recommended for: intense euphoria, sleep, heavy relaxation, meditation

For ultimate THC decarboxylation mode, turn your vaporizer above 370°F. At these high temperatures, you get terpenes like linalool (calming, anxiety relief) and cannabinoids like THCV(energizing, appetite suppressant), but keep in mind that they’re approaching combustion territory. You may even notice the vapor become smokier and harsher on the lungs.

Durban Poison is a South African sativa known for its elevated levels of THCV, a highly psychoactive cannabinoid known to weaken appetite (yes, weaken). I coincidentally had this strain in my collection last week, so I decided to cook it at 430°F to see if I felt more “energized” than I would at a lower temperature.

For me, the answer was a definitive yes. I finished inhaling the bag of Durban Poison fumes (a little bit went a long way) and shared it with my roommate when I realized how high I became after just a few hits. I passed the kitchen on my way out, and caught a glance of those old-fashioned chocolate glazed donuts – the kind you’d normally eat like popcorn after getting stoned. Call it a THCV placebo or miracle, but those seductive delicacies had no power over me (until later, but that’s irrelevant).

Vaporizing the indica Skywalker at a high temperature – 390°F to be specific – was an entirely different story. Your muscles melt, eyelids get heavy, and thoughts become shrouded in a pleasant mental mist that makes it easy to fall into a calm, meditative state. I can’t say for certain whether it’s the linalool gained at 388°F or the more fully volatilized THC, but this strain was detectably heavier at higher temperatures and decidedly more sedating than the Durban Poison when vaporized at the same temperature. That bring us to the final and most obvious consideration when attempting to customize an experience: the strain.

10 Cannabis Strains That Won’t Make You (As) Hungry

Differences Between Cannabis Strains

The above temperature tiers don’t so much “create” effects – they modify them, so keep in mind that the limits of your customization are set by whatever strain you’re working with.

Take Durban Poison and Skywalker as an example. A racy, upbeat sativa versus a heavy, pacifying indica. Durban Poison will always have that high-energy cerebral effect profile and Skywalker is destined to be a calming sedative (in most people’s opinions). Temperature is basically the volume knob: turn it up for intensity, and turn it down for subtlety.

But, in summary, don’t forget that with increases in temperatures, you can uncork more essential compounds. However, go too hot and you may be destroying some of those delicate cannabinoids and terpenes. Everyone has their own preference, and it’s up to you to find your own favorite temperature, but knowing exactly what is vaporizing at those temperatures may help.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent article, MadMan!!! I added it to my medical cannabis folder. Very, very helpful.

• Madman960
          Madman960 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you found it helpful.

This is from Vape Nation:
        VapeNationmenu

Vape Temps

Cannabis' active components turn to vapor starting at 220°F. The ideal temperature for vaporization is about personal preference and targeting specific effects from different cannabinoids. Cannabis Temperatures & Effects

Below is a list of specific boiling points of major cannabinoids found in marijuana. THC is only one important ingredient in the mix, so if you only know about THC and CBD, give this chart a read:

View in celsius or fahrenheitSo What’s The Best Temperature for a Vaporizer?

Vape temp chart

The ideal temperature for a vaporizer is about personal preference and medical needs. So yeah, I can't tell you the perfect temp to vape, because there isn't one, but I can tell you which vape to buy so you can start experimenting with precise control over temperature and effects. Temperature as a Tool

Use the chart above to reference which effects you are seeking. Experiment by starting at a lower temperature and slowly move higher up the temp spectrum and observe your physical and mental states, pay attention to your body.

Vaporizing lets you relax and focus on the process of feeling the effects build up. Smoking is harsh and tends to hit you right away. Vaporizing, on the other hand, is a little more subtle to start off and builds over time. There is more of a curve from normal to high than a rocket straight up in the air. Now inhaling a full bag from the Volcano will bring about effects right away, but the full effects aren't present until a few minutes or more.

The point of all this is to try and focus our attention on the changes, to become more aware of the subtle medical properties of cannabis when we have more control over the temperatures we have more control over the effects. Smoke vs Vapor

The boiling point of THC is 315°F, but active vapors start forming nearly 100° before that. When temperatures reach combustion (451°F) tars and other undesirable compounds such as benzene and dioxins are released (see the full list of 111 chemicals found in smoke) into the air. When ignited, temperatures soar to 600°F or higher.

Want to dive deeper? Learn more about cannabinoids and their effects on the body.

Madman

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          That is another excellent question. I did decarb some leaves in my Nova for 30 minutes, and I will see how the effects compare to the simmered leaves.

The more I experiment, the more I say, No more combustion. What a waste of so much plant potential!!
          Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:04 AM.

• Madman960
          Madman960 commented
          Editing a comment
          Does the Nova only decarb at 1 temp?

Do you make tinctures from your vaped material?

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          This gives you the basic info on the Nova: http://www.ardentcannabis.com/faqs/ Their website is full of good information. I'm not sure what temp the Nova goes to, but it's low.

No, I don't make tincture with vaped material. As they say, what you put into tincture is what you're gonna get out, so I won't even use sugar leaves again for tincture. The best tincture I made was from buds. It was the strongest.

Allatup, as u know I’ve been without weed for a cuppleweeks now( used it up to help with cancer) and my current grow won’t b ready for about a month. This morning I did some trimming before breakfast. Sautéed the leaves for a good 10 min.with a little voo and a little water and pinch of salt and vola,it made about 4 bites as I stated I haven’t coped a buzz in a few weeks it took about 30 min.to start taking effect after a hour full on! Nice buzz and was able to keep the high all morning long thanks for the high. 😎

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm so glad it worked for ya, Potted!!

THE EXPERIMENT CONTINUES...

I decarbed some of my leaves yesterday in my Nova for 30 minutes, and tried them early this morning. I heated them with a little coconut oil and a dash of water just until they were warm, and consumed them. They were far more bitter than the simmered leaves, so some terpene or other compound was more activated.

Here's what I can report: The THC was definitely more activated; the peak high was more intense, and my mouth got dry--characteristics of the higher-temp activation of the cannabinoids, terpenes, etc., that we were talking about yesterday on page 3 of this thread. Pain relief is part of the high.

Madman960

So experiment # 3 with leaves will be decarbing some leaves the entire time in the Nova. And eating them.
        Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:06 AM.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm getting one too, should have bought it when Alltatup first mentioned them, but I though I might get one for Christmas, but no such luck. Got another Mathews instead.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          well worth the cost

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          redbeard I'm so glad to hear it worked for you!!!

alltatup Here is another long read but much more information. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Madman

Comment

• Madman960
          Madman960 commented
          Editing a comment
          An interesting experiment would be to decarb around 320F for 30 to 45 minutes and see how much of the THC turns into CBN. CBN being desired as a sleep aid.

I noticed in the above article that the THC and other compounds are greater at 30 minutes and are dropping at 60 minutes.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          MadMan, an interesting read, but I wonder how old it is. In many ways it provides really good information, but it seems a little behind the times as far as techniques for preserving terpenes--for ex., the Ardent Nova decarb machine doesn't evaporate terpenes.

But I totally agree with you about experimenting to find the way to turn THC into CBN--or just get you some Night Queen, or Afghan Kush, or Black Domina, Dream Machine, etc. etc. There are indicas that, when harvested at the right time, are downright narcotic, which is a GOOD THING!!!

• Madman960
          Madman960 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like 1990. The 1st chart is dated in the top right corner.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X