Norton warning about GWE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton warning about GWE

coinhive.min(1).jss is not safe and being removed by Norton. This is new from GWE and yesterday even more severe warnings kept me out of GWE as a dangerous website. I don't know what is going on with this, but I will not disable my web protection just to participate in one site.
    Now more being removed by Norton.
    Last edited by Flockshot; 12-18-2017, 08:38 AM. Reason: add additional information
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Morning, I'm a dumbass in tech stuff, what does all that mean, stay away from coinhive or Gwe, or both ??

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      D.A.A.S.69 - A PC is just a computer, I believe it stands for personal computer. I just use my phone as well for this site. Never have any issues.

For those that don't want to click on the link, this seems to be their main takeaway.

"We do not claim that CoinHive is malicious, or even necessarily a bad idea. The concept of allowing folks to opt-in for an alternative to advertising, which has been plagued by everything from fake news to malvertising, is a noble one. The execution of it is another story.

The reason we block CoinHive is because there are site owners who do not ask for their users’ permission to start running CPU-gorging applications on their systems. A regular Bitcoin miner could be incredibly simple or a powerhouse, depending on how much computing the user running the miner wants to use. The JavaScript version of a miner allows customization of how much mining to do, per user system, but leaves that up to the site owner, who may want to slow down your computer experience to a crawl."

Well I guess I'm not the only one, WTF ! L99 What are we supposed to do with that link? click on it? Don't think so. Being pretty much computer illiterate I don't know what to do with or about warning pop-ups Any ideas?

Comment

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I don’t think about the link being scary. I was just sharing what coinhive is.

I don’t think it’s anything to be super concerned about daas. They’ve got a bit of a leach issue going on here apparently (just going from the post not what I’ve experienced). You should have some malware/virus software installed on your pc and keep it up to date you should be fine. Malware bytes has always been a good choice for me.
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey 99, I don't even know what a pc is, all I got is this f-cking phone, which I can throw in a real deep river real quick, an want think twice about it . Plus we all high as hell this morning around here, you already got some of my buddies peeking out the Windows.lol

Haha. I think your fine. The malware is a mining thing for bitcoin etc. I dont fully understand how that works but I don’t think you need to worry about the fuzz knocking because of it.
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    5 gallon Smart Pots

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, 99, we ain't the smartest around here in tech stuff, matter of fact I get headaches from looking at it.
      We like the part where you said no need to worry, I guess its ok to pull the curtains up again now.

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      My mom is 69 I got her an iPhone when my son was born last year so she could do pics video share on Facebook etc. I get at least 3-4 calls a week about something. If I could just get her to stop taking those damn Facebook quizzes.

I thought it might be something like this. The last few days every time I visit the site my fan kicks in and stops when I close the tab. Disappointing that they're using our CPUs to mine bitcoins. I emailed NebulaHaze about it earlier today.
    My first grow

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what happened on my computer!!! I was scared.

I had a similar message come up in my Trend Micro security and was wondering where I'd picked up a nasty from...
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

Howdy, I've gotten warnings yesterday and today about an attempt by a virus called JS/miner. My AVG successfully blocked both attempts. I sent a message to NebulaHaze about it this morning.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for pointing this out!

Here's what happened. Someone was able to insert a piece of code into the forum template, and this code follows a current trend of stealing your CPU power to help mine cryptocurrency (like BitCoin). NebulaHaze found the offending code herself and removed it , but we're still closely monitoring the situation. We now have a professional not only monitoring the site but going through our logs to identify holes so this doesn't happen again.

The truth is, this community is fairly large now and that means we're going to attract some of the wrong sort. But as long as you guys stay patient with us (thanks, by the way) and keep warning us of stuff like this (thanks AGAIN), we'll keep working to keep this place spammer/advertiser/hacker free.

Comment

• Potted
          Potted commented
          Editing a comment
          Hay Sirus thanks for the info,luv the site, thanks for keeping us in the loop.
          Speaking of loops the last few days when I went on the site that’s what it felt like I was seeing! A loop !

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Nebula and Sirius!!!!

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Growing cannabis is a patience practicing spectator sport thanks for all your hard work.

I've been getting pop ups, supposedly from Google, warning of a virus and to download malware through a link. I'm too damn paranoid about viruses and I don't trust the pop up. So I closed it. I feel ya 99! My Mother-in-law is like your Mom, only older! But hell, I'm old enough to remember when "pagers" were cutting technology and you had to pull off the interstate to find a payphone to return a call!!!
        Let us know if anyone hears something from Nebula or Sirris about this.
        DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
        315 LEC
        6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
        6" Carbon filter
        3- 6" fans
        humidifier
        temp and humidity gauge
        5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
        FF trio nutrients

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X