X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[JOURNAL] My first grow: 24"x24"x64" tent + 250W HPS + 3 Autos in 3gal pots

Hi all,

So this is the first day of my grow journal
    Just put the seeds directly in the 3 gal pots. I'm using soil.

Also I have a 5" exhaust fan (rated at 160cfm) expelling air to outside (through window)

Will be updating as frequently as I can.

Thank you guys!

========

So I've found more info on the internet about these strains. So here are they:

Plant #1: Maluco Beleza (INDICA: 60% / SATIVA 40%)

Plant #2: Copacabana (INDICA: 30% / SATIVA 70%)

Plant #3: Lele da Cuca (INDICA: 80% / SATIVA 20%)
    Last edited by theblues88; 12-09-2017, 10:08 AM.

I'm subbed!
    My first grow

Comment

• theblues88
      theblues88 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks!!

Me to, their gonna be a little crowded in there, with those 3 gallon pots, but it might be fine, just have to wait an see.
    Good Luck with them 88.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• theblues88
      theblues88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm also a little worried about getting a little crowded inside. Anyway, this is my first grow and I think I will learn a lot what can go right and what can go wrong.

You're going to be happy you began with autos. They are fast and easy to grow, and you will be rewarded sooner than later if you had photos.
    It might get a little tight in your tent, but they can be controlled.
    Best advice I can give to a newbie is, don't overwater. It is easy to think that more water/nutrients will produce faster buds. Doesn't work that way.

You will be rewarded soon enough, 20 or 30 days or so,pistils will begin showing.
    Good luck.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Good luck. I barely had room for 3 in a 2'x4'x7' tent
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• theblues88
        theblues88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ty! Seems like I'm going to learn a lot from this first grow

I'm struggling with temperature. It's too hot

​​​​​​Will try a few different things and see if I can lower it.

Comment

• Locrian99
        Locrian99 commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t see any mention of an exhaust fan are you using one?

• theblues88
        theblues88 commented
        Editing a comment
        yep! just edited the original post. Using a 5" exhaust (160cfm)

• Locrian99
        Locrian99 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d take a look here I’m doing my first grow right now too. Followed this for setting mine up minus the carbon filter. I’m not even ventingnout a window just into the room outside the tent. http://www.growweedeasy.com/exhaust#fans-exhaust-system

Well, I turned the lights off to test how much the temperature would drop and to my surprise, the drop was very low. The temperature dropped to about 29.5C

Yes, the days here are very hot. I'm in the southern hemisphere. Summer is coming with full force.

So I decided to put the night time period (lights off) in the night - from midnight until 6 am - for two main reasons:

1) Don't need to worry with light leaking through the passive intake vents.
      2) The drop in temperature will be much higher than if I turned off the lights during the day. Giving the plants a much better rest during the night time period.

Comment

• Jr83
        Jr83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ur probably gonna need airconditioning if it's summer

• theblues88
        theblues88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't afford AC :/

• Jr83
        Jr83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Then air movement will be ur saving grace ut gonns need air above and below at all times try to pipe it in during the coolest part ofv the day that'll help with co2 and the heat abit

Hi D.A.A.S.69

There is an exhaust fan (160cfm) expelling the air to outside through the window. You can see it the the picture attached above.

Comment

So, 48hr after planting seeds and no signs of them sprouting. Should I be concerned?

Comment

• Cocho
          Cocho commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. Just be patient and make sure its "hot" and humid in there. I see you have put a lid on the pots by using plastic foliage, and I think that will work just fine.
          I've never germinated seeds right in the soil, I always use coffee filters. And they usually take about 30 hours to sprout. So compared to what you're doing, my guess would be to give them a little more time. Because when I put mine in the soil, it took about 2-3 days for the little one to show her head above the ground. So if yours just germinated, they will still need a few more days to show.

Just don't poke your fingers in there, that might crush them. And since you're starting of with such big pots. It might be an idea to water them good one time, and just let them live in there, with no new water, for 1-2 weeks. But that totally depends on the climate where you're living etc. So don't take my word for it. Just be patient, and time will show my friend good luck!

• Jr83
          Jr83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine took 7 days to pop out give them a couple weeks at least

• theblues88
          theblues88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Cocho and Jr83! I did pre soak the soil before planting the seeds.

Np I've learned patience is very important

Comment

So I think I solved the temperature issue!!

Just purchased a swamp cooler and decided to schedule the lights off period during the hottest period of the day (1pm to 7pm).

Ambient temperature is 31C while the temperature inside the grow room is 27C right now.

Here are a few pictures showing the position of the swamp cooler.

Comment

• Cocho
            Cocho commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good there. 27C is perfect, so now all you'll have to do is wait.
            I like to spend that time making sure everything is as it's supposed to be.
            This whole thing comes down to some weird Mr Miyagi type of thing; "Wax of, Wax on", where patience is a virtue.

• theblues88
            theblues88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah Cocho, sometimes I get myself thinking: Everything's all right... now let's "just wait" three months (or so) lol

Good news! Just checked the ladies this morning and they are all sprouting

I removed the plastic film and will lower the lights to 2ft above them.

I need to go buy some ph calibration solution as I expect my ph meter is a bit off before the next watering.

Comment

Hey guys, a question just popped in my mind: When should I start fertilizing these seedlings? Soil is 50% turf 50% perlite.

Comment

• Canuck147
              Canuck147 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fertilize when they have at least two nodes. Too easy to give them nutes burn at this stage.

• theblues88
              theblues88 commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks Canuck147, will start fertilizing them after those first nodes

Look at them! That is good news.

The first thing you'll want to do before deciding whether or not to add nutrients to their watering routine during the first 2-3 weeks, would be to check the NPK ratio on your soil.
            And maybe, if the brand of soil does that, you'll be able to find some information about the soil on the bag or on their website? Because many of the makers of agricultural soil tend to give an easy explanation of their product, by specifically stating if it's a "Light Mix", "All Mix", "Grow Mix" or Coco based type of soil. You don't want to take easy on that and just add some nutrients, because you might burn the roots and kill the plants.

But what I normally do, since I know what my soil contains, is to add just 1/4 of recommended concentration to my tap water. That way I can observe the plants until the next watering, and by then be able to see if they are reacting positively or badly to my treatment.

Comment

Hi @Cocho,

Does the NPK ratio is something that I need to check or its info is available from the maker?

Thanks

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Morning 88, if not on the soil bag, it's on the nutrient bottles, most decent soil has enough nutrients already in it to last a month, it's not gonna make them grow any faster by adding nutrients when they already have it in your soil.
                Nebula has all the information you need to grow on GWE, it's much easier if you will read what she says, you can bet it will be excellent information too.
                I'm not saying what you get on the forum is bad information, I'm just saying I always check what Nebula says on her tutorials before I take any information off the forum, and I'm pretty sure everyone else does too.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X