Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those using Bitcoins, has the recent split changed much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those using Bitcoins, has the recent split changed much?

I know the Seedbanks are on a push for using Bitcoin I'm curious what the split into 2 currencies is going to do.

I don't use Bitcoin, just too different for an old man like me, lol. The current CC problems have me a bit worried as that's how I buy seeds, mostly because it's easy and secondly I'm sick and tired of hiding. I'm really set with Seedsman and don't want to go elsewhere but if they dump cards too I'll pretty much be forced to go another route. Probably something domestic with money orders, at least I understand how they work.

I was considering having one of the kids set up an account for me but the split just brought all my worries about Bitcoin back. Using something I have to keep relearning isn't in the cards.

Luckily I have enough seeds that with cloning I could go for a very long time not needing anymore, but then I can't try new strains. I can't wait for legalization so we can do business like adults...
    The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
    Water Curing Experiment
    My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

To me, BitCoin is a joke. The value of it changes so frequently you never really know what you have. This is why I don't bother with seed banks. That being said, I should note that I already have a good bit of random seeds, quite a few known variety seeds and I can go buy seeds from just about any dispensary in Denver. So yeah...I may be biased.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• GanjaGed
      GanjaGed commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at all, I'd be happy to be able to get them here. I'm not too far from Colorado and I have though about making an occasional trip when I need seeds, but the logistics of getting me there since I can't travel alone is difficult.

I have the same issue with Bitcoin, about the fluctuating value. Someday my State will pull it's head out of it's ass I hope

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      I know that Corey Booker just introduced a bill to federally legalize marijuana so it could happen finally! I actually live about 4 hours from Denver in western Colorado. Where I live, marijuana is outlawed from sale even though it is legal in the state! Go figure! I have to drive hours through the continental divide if I want any seeds or clones. Luckily for me, I have always saved my seeds when buying pot. Even in weed friendly Denver! I have hundreds of the bastards but most I don't know what they are. Somewhere I have a big plastic container full of even more seeds, including a strain I grew myself called "High Flying Saucier" but I can't find that damn thing right now for anything! LOL!

• GanjaGed
      GanjaGed commented
      Editing a comment
      The Booker Bill is amazing. The only thing that I think might be an issue is using federal funds to encourage States to legalize. If it were to pass, or even get a debate I think that will have to go. But it's the best bill regarding cannabis at the Federal level yet. And he makes a decent case for it too.

My understanding (haven't done it yet myself so might have it all wrong) is that with some (all?) Bitcoin exchanges (the one I remember being specifically mentioned was CoinBase) you can buy the exact amount you need. You would get your seed order together and find your total, go to CoinBase and buy that amount only and transfer it to Seedsman (or wherever). So no leftover currency.

I hope I have that right, was planning on that method for my next batch of seeds (the lure of good freebies is to powerful to resist!)

I think I read about it in this thread.
    Last edited by Aloner; 08-03-2017, 03:55 AM. Reason: add link to thread
    My first grow

Comment

• GanjaGed
      GanjaGed commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the way I understand it too Aloner. But aren't you still subject to fluctuation between buys? As in, what costs $100 today might be $110 or $90 dollars tomorrow?

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      If the seed company is converting their price to Bitcoins then I would think that when the price of Bitcoin goes up, your seeds would cost you fewer Bitcoins and vice versa.

• GanjaGed
      GanjaGed commented
      Editing a comment
      That's very possible. If they were accounting for the fluctuations that wouldn't be so bad.

I'm with you GG I was reading about bitcoins and got confused and left ,not hard to get confused these days, I live in Mass where it was voted legal and then the state is changing what we voted on so if they don't like the law that gets voted on they change it
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• GanjaGed
      GanjaGed commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I've been watching that develop. At least he didn't veto it, since he isn't exactly pro legalization.

Bitcoin was a hassle to figure out. But worth whatever headache. My order was tripled. I bought 10 and got 31! That dropped the price per seed under $3. Yes next time I will have to read how to do it again but the reward is well worth it. My $.02
    Cheers
    "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• GanjaGed
      GanjaGed commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I agree the freebies they throw at using Bitcoin are amazing. Besides the CC trouble, that's one of the reasons I looked into it.

It's kinda like when I would have to set the clock on my grandparents VCR etc. Only now it's me who can't figure the damned thing out, lol.

Yea id say if you use bitcoin only buy the ammount of bitcoin youll need to buy the seeds i like the fact that they cant find me by my purchase order but iv got a good bit of bit coins left over i buy them when the price drops a bit and try not to spend till it comes back up a bit so im not worried about my bitcoins loseing value because if they do ill just leave them them sit around intill the rebound and i can spend them for the orginal ammount i bought them for that and you can find some good sites on the dark web to buy some vary illegal shit but they only want bitcoin lmao thats the place that worries me but thanks for letting me know seedsmen accepts the bitcoin lmao
    DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
    250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
    current grow: feminized blue wizard
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Comment

hey graff the whole thing confused the crap out of me but what the hell is the dark web and how do you use it might check it out
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I wish I would have bought bitcoins back 5-6 years ago they where under a buck per share and now over $2600.00 per coin .
        And the 27th of last month the senate appropriation committee passed a bill that stops the feds from busting a state licensed business . They are leaving that to the state now .
        So things are moving in the direction of all states being legal in some aspect whether its medical only or recreational use .

I've been picking up a few small penny stocks that deal with cryptocurrancy and marijuana use . I think these are going to be like the tech market boom in the 80s and 90s . Just a hunch but a company just bought a whole town in Nipton California but they are building a whole town around the marijuana industry and use like a vacation spot that's 100 acres of live and let grow community .
        Sorry just looked its Nipton California that was bought by American green corp.
        Last edited by MedMan; 08-05-2017, 10:39 AM. Reason: changed info
        Currently use 2 gal bubbleponics tank
        Using 150 Watt HPS
        Trying 300 watt LED
        General Hydro Nutes ,reg and organic
        Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

Well I finally set up a bitcoin Acc last sat and only bought $5.00 to see how it works and I bought it when the bitcoins where $3217.00 or around and when I got it I used a check so it takes a week to clear . But what it does when you buy it tells you the percentage of a coin . so my 5 buck was like .00155394 of a coin at that price but today today a bitcoin was $3450.00 so my 5 bucks is now worth like 5.40 or something .But more places are accepting them now so to cash out you can even send to pay pal account . The market for cryptocurrancy is going nuts now but has to drop at some point so be carful what you do .
          Last edited by MedMan; 08-08-2017, 08:19 PM.
          Using 150 Watt HPS
          Trying 300 watt LED
          Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

I think I'm just to old, stubborn and these days confused to wrap my head around an unregulated decentralized invisible cryptocurrency where I have no idea what it may be worth 10 min from now, lol. I'm sure it's not as bad as all that but it does make my head swim.

Gratz on the bonus coinage! Always nice when stuff goes positive

The Ganja Ged Thread
            Water Curing Experiment
            My E&F System

Comment

Me too Ganja I went so far as watching a few documentary shows about it and checked it out on the internet and as we all know everything on the internet is true but it is hard to wrap your thoughts around a money that is not there aspect . That's why I only put in $5 still not sure about it but a lot of seedbanks and despenceries are using it . But if the fed ever takes med marijuana off the list of illegal drugs all the cryptocurrancy is in the toilet .
              Using 150 Watt HPS
              Trying 300 watt LED
              Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

Well my $5.00 is worth $6.50 now so IF I bought $30 bucks worth I would have made plenty to buy more seeds .But still could have gone down .
                Using 150 Watt HPS
                Trying 300 watt LED
                Small 23" x 21" area

Comment

• GanjaGed
                  GanjaGed commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I appreciate the updates on how it fluctuates Med! Hell, you never know, that $5 could end up being enough to buy more seeds before long!

• Aloner
                  Aloner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I put an order together with Seedsman a couple weeks ago; got my total, went to Coinbase to make my Bitcoin buy, and realized it would be a week before the money would be in my account -- bummer. I rounded up to the nearest .001 BTC, figuring if prices changed I'd have a little wiggle room. When I got the notification I could access the money, I recreated my order (except for something that was out of stock so I got something else) and bought my seeds. I ended up with more than my original order and had about 95 cents (equivalent) left over because my BTC had appreciated about six bucks in the week between buying them and when I checked out with my seeds. One week later that 95 cents is now a whopping dollar-nine. Who knows how much it'll be worth by the time I need more seeds?!

Over all it was a bit of a hassle but with the discount and bonus seeds, it was totally worth it. Next time I will probably pay the extra and buy BTC with a credit card, I think that's available right away iirc.

I just made a purchase a few days ago from Gorilla with Bitcoins. It was my first time using bitcoins. Here are some thoughts and info. The seed bank will tell you exactly how many bitcoins you need. So you don't have to buy extra and don't have to worry about the current price of bitcoins. I used Coinbase and would recommend it to others. They do have a percentage fee for each purchase but it's not much. Coinbase has a limit on how much you can buy with a credit/debit card that's 200$ when you first signup so you may have to wait to buy more. All in all it was a good experience, not a simple as a credit card purchase but most seed banks don't take CC anymore.

Also Crytp currency prices have steadily skyrocketed.
                Current value:

Comment

Separate thread with some info

The Ganja Ged Thread
                  Water Curing Experiment
                  My E&F System

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X