Best training method for outdoors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best training method for outdoors.

Theres not a lot of information on plant training for outdoors, so wondering if anyone can give me some insight on the best training method for outdoor yeild.
    Not worried about stealth, basically want the best quality and yeild.
    I know all the training techniques and as far as i can tell scrogging, sea of green and 90° bend are exclusive to indoors and hold no benefit in outdoors.
    Other methods like top/fim, supercropping, mainlining, general training could be beneficial. But which is best and why.
    Now i myself prefer to top at least once to remove the single apical dominace and create a more even distribution of growth.
    I think the biggest plants are created by using a combination of fimming and trellacing, this creates many colas, nicely spaced internode lengths and doesnt minimize height like topping does. But requires a bit of maintainence and work.
    How would manifolding/mainlining compare to no training ?

What you guys think ?
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

I believe that since your light source moves from one horizon to another it changes how you train for outdoors. Indoors we have a fixed light source and are subject to the inverse square law which dictates the depreciation of light the further you are from the light source. Outdoors do not have such limiting obstacles.

There is a whole different set of challenges outdoor growers face. Much more difficult ones. Weather being a huge one.

I don't have any experience growing outdoors but all the outdoor grows I've seen are just massive bushes. Trellising is common from what I've seen. I don't think mainlining would be beneficial since that's mostly for limited vertical height. You don't have that restriction outdoors.

I agree that breaking the apical dominance is still necessary.

I think desertdan has grown some bushes outdoors.

Comment

My limited experience-I think that the plant phenotype is going to be the most influential. If she wants to grow short and squat then any method to expose each of the colas to max light would be best. If she has a sativa trait and wants to be a tree then support is a concern. I did a basic manifold on one of my Money Maker clones that ended up in my garden patch this summer. Ended up with 3 trunks and she is now over 9' tall. I've had to build support trellis on each of the trunks to support the leg sized colas. Just make the best of available light and keep the plant in one piece and you'll be fine.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thats how i thought, because there is no inverse square law issue and horizon shift light source that cannopy manipulation is pointless. The question seems to be whether having many colas or manipulating the plant to grow fewer but larger buds is better or not.
        I agree that how your strain likes to grow will alter how you manage it, but most of the time you can train it still.
        Last edited by DrPhoton; 11-07-2016, 12:40 AM.
        Written Articles:
        Light Metric Systems
        Using Light Efficiently
        The Light Cycle Debate
        Environment Conditions
        Grow Light Technologies

Facebook
        Twitter
        Instagram

Comment

After some thinking and reading id like to post what i have come to conclusions with.
          Some of the biggest grows i have ever seen have been with careful fimming and trellacing, but this is a lot of work. I think the more colas you have, no matter if its indoors or outdoors has the potential to yield more. Now i say potential because if you do not look after and provide the plant what it requires, it will not fill the bud sites to a sufficient density. This would defeat the advantage of having extra plant, giving airy and light bud sites.
          This is one of the advantages of mainlining, splitting the apical dominance gives a more balanced distribution of nutrients. But also restricts the plant growth so bud formation is larger and denser, giving high quality buds.
          I believe you can get the same result with larger grows, but is more difficult. Extra care is required.
          Also you could get similar yields with a smaller plant with fatter buds compared with a larger plant with thinner buds. But i think the larger plant has more potential and just requires the work in order to attain the extra density.

So at the end of the day, more plant provides a higher potential. But you must provide the right materials to take advantage of it.

This is all theoreticle assumptions, im mostly spitballing for fun.

PEACE!
          Written Articles:
          Light Metric Systems
          Using Light Efficiently
          The Light Cycle Debate
          Environment Conditions
          Grow Light Technologies

Facebook
          Twitter
          Instagram

Comment

I grow outdoors, it's not legal in my state. all these plants were 4ft tall or lil more, but with Lst they were barley over knee high.
            if it's legal where you grow, just keep the middle of plant opened up, thin out the very largest leafs regularly, get all the direct sunlight you can. you will end up with ten foot tall monsters. check out, Google mendo dope.

Comment

• Jibblerjoe
              Jibblerjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Ps I can see 2 prisons and national guard base from my home. Hence outdoor Lst.

Originally posted by Danofdanger View Post
            Theres not a lot of information on plant training for outdoors, so wondering if anyone can give me some insight on the best training method for outdoor yeild.
            Not worried about stealth, basically want the best quality and yeild.
            I know all the training techniques and as far as i can tell scrogging, sea of green and 90° bend are exclusive to indoors and hold no benefit in outdoors.
            Other methods like top/fim, supercropping, mainlining, general training could be beneficial. But which is best and why.
            Now i myself prefer to top at least once to remove the single apical dominace and create a more even distribution of growth.
            I think the biggest plants are created by using a combination of fimming and trellacing, this creates many colas, nicely spaced internode lengths and doesnt minimize height like topping does. But requires a bit of maintainence and work.
            How would manifolding/mainlining compare to no training ?

What you guys think ?
            the Training must be Programmed for Your Climates ... as royal nugs Says. your light source moves from one horizon to another it changes how you train for outdoors. You dont Need any Training for Growing outdoor but i Recoomend use Topping when you have 6 pair of LEaves to 3rd note and you dont need any other Training just support plant WIth Nets and / or bambo Sticks ...
            but in some climates you dont have chance for growing because of too much hot or cold enviroment . in this Situation u can Set SOG Grow Training in outdoor you must CLones your plants indoor and when Cold Season Starts Transfer Clones to Outdoor in a little pot ... SOG growing is idea about putting many Small Pots Instead one Huge pot ... its realy work for outdoor and limitation of Climates

Comment

While not an outdoor grower- I am intrigued when they transplant into the soil at a 45 degree angle and then extend a piece of bamboo (also at 45 degrees) to continuously secure the growing main stem- allowing the other growth to bush up.
              I can only assume the 45 degrees is the parallel in Oregon which would allow maximum light exposure at all times and would need to be adjusted for your location's latitude!
              It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I grow outdoors. My best buds from the last crop were LST.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.
                  Written Articles:
                  Light Metric Systems
                  Using Light Efficiently
                  The Light Cycle Debate
                  Environment Conditions
                  Grow Light Technologies

Facebook
                  Twitter
                  Instagram

Comment

When it comes to cannabis, the biggest buds are always the ones closest to the top of the plant, and exposed to lots of light and air. However you can get the plant to make as many of those buds, the better! Many plants naturally grow that way outdoors if they're getting enough light, and you just need to give them tons of root space and support if they start falling over.

I think the main thing that increases yields outside (besides keeping plants healthy) is more hours of direct light each day, combined with a bigger container so their roots can spread out. Look at these monsters in 400 gallon pots!

If the plant isn't bushing out and is growing like a Christmas tree with one main stem (some plants just don't bush out naturally) you can bend it over when it's young so that main growth tip is lower than at least some of the other growth tips. That'll cause it to stop focusing on that one main cola and bush out

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X