Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ellz
    commented on 's reply
    I agree...and thank you! Those roots are really stuck together! LOL.

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Dude looks like a dude. Good luck getting all the dead roots out!!

• ellz
    commented on 's reply
    Oh it's really mangled together! LOL. I tried to tug it and it moved the other plant around! It basically looks like a big wad of wet spaghetti! I have no idea what is what down there and to make it worse, part of the roots are wrapped around the drip tubing! LOL! Guess if it rots, the other roots will push it out. Not much I can really do if I don't want to harm the other plant unfortunately.

• Daskahn
    commented on 's reply
    Depending on how intertangled you could generally tug/shack and see if they unlodges them..
    also if it's not thickly intertwined a little root cutting won't hurt to much

• ellz
    replied
    Suspected Male Plant Photos:

Leave a comment:

• ellz
    replied
    08/15/2017:

06:30PM: After checking the plants again, I made the decision to remove the suspected male plant. Not only did it have no pistils while all of the other 3 do, the clusters were getting bigger and now forming in the nodes so it was time to go! I took photos but I have to edit them so they can be uploaded. In the meantime, I have attached photos of the remaining 3 plants, all of which I am 99.9999% sure are females since they all have pistils extending out of the calyxes. The photos show this as best they can with my phone's camera but I visibly saw pistils on the remaining plants so I am positive they are fine.

To remove the suspected male plant, I first turned off my water pump so I could remove the net pot. I then cut back some of the larger branches on the outer part of the plant to clear a path to the main stalk. After removing any remaining plant ties, I cut the main stalk and placed the plant matter in a plastic tote. Then I ran into a dilemma...the roots from the male plant were inter-tangled with the female plant in the same reservoir. Basically, to avoid damaging any roots from the female plant I decided to simply cut the roots below the net pot. This left some of the roots from the removed plant in the reservoir which could become a problem later if they begin to rot so the only thing I can think to do is check on the roots over the next few days and try to remove any dead looking roots as I see them. However, I still risk damaging the healthy plant if I remove them so any ideas or thoughts would be more than welcome right now! As for the net pot with the plant in it, I removed it upon cutting the roots and replaced it with an empty net pot filled with clay pebbles (I washed them out completely before placing them into my system) then turned the water pump back on.

Leave a comment:

• ellz
    commented on 's reply
    Very true, but 1 out of 4 isn't horrible. Having 3 girls in the bunch was actually more than I expected so that is always a good thing. Trying to think positive about it, lol but it's really never easy to kill a plant for me.

• Daskahn
    commented on 's reply
    Sometimes it's hard but must be done sorry about him

• ellz
    commented on 's reply
    Most likely will be removing it today when the light comes back on. Have to wait another hour and a half but will update the post then.

• ellz
    commented on 's reply
    alltatup the crossed stipules are not visible in any of the photos and only appear in a couple of areas on that plant. I will most likely be removing it today. Waiting on the light to come on to check it.

• Daskahn
    replied
    I'd remove him just for the space lol more light more bud..

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    I don't actually see any crossed stipules in those pics. I'm highly suspicious of this plant...

• ellz
    replied
    08/14/2017:

07:30PM: Went ahead and did my nutrient change for both reservoirs, feeding them using week 6's schedule on my feed schedule and have decided to let the one suspected male remain for a bit longer just to make sure. The other 3 are most likely female as they all have a single, horn-like preflower with pistils extending out of some of them. I would have to get my good camera out to try to snap some photos of them but it's very crowded in my cabinet now as you can see by the photo below. Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment:

• ellz
    commented on 's reply
    I was hoping to take it out before I did my water change. Would make things a lot less cluttered in there. Plus, it's taking up light that the other plants can use, lol! The other three all have single horn-like preflowers and a few have pistils coming out. This is the only one that looks like this. My only real hesitation is that there are crossed stipules but I have read over and over again that males can have those too.

• Aloner
    commented on 's reply
    It's kinda looking like it but why not just wait a few days? It's not going to ready to pollinate anything for quite a while.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X