No announcement yet.

Root rot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are not smelling anything. Just let it go and grow awhile. Your roots will not be perfectly white.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't necessarily agree with that, Burney: I had a BAAAAAD case of brown algae (= root rot) during grow # 2 that didn't smell bad at all.

But I do agree about roots not being a uniform color--either white or cream...

I thought they were talking about root rot now. There are many causes of root rot besides just brown algae.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It's all root rot. That's what algae does to roots. Pythium is just one form of r.r.

The plant is still living and growing. I would leave it alone and let it grow or die. All of these procedures are just setting it farther and farther back. Until it is to the point that mccubed would have been better off to of started over.

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus every problem, every misstep -- once corrected -- is a learning experience.

• Burny
      Burny commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope that fixes your problem. I didn't expect everyone to understand what I was talking about. It takes a while before you can just throw a plant away. But every plant doesn't have to be saved. Some just aren't worth growing. Unless you have no other option. Which I did state earlier in this post. A lot of times once you correct whatever is causing the problem it is better off to start over with a fresh plant and coil the sick plant. You had already done several things to try to correct the problem and were talking about doing more and I thought maybe you should wait and see if some of the things you had already done would work before you tried anything else. Thus the leave it alone and let it grow or die that I think a few people didn't understand.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Burny I agree. I did something really stupid on my current sativa grow, which was to put 4 monster sativas (I just didn't realize how big they'd get, never having grown anything like them before) in my grow box, and about 6 weeks ago (now in week 15 of flower), I made the decision, after agonizing about it for a couple of weeks, to pull out three and let the leader take over the whole box. Which she did. I felt so bad about taking those plants out, but it had to be done...

Now the other situation I haven't encountered yet. I ALMOST gave up on my second grow before I figured out that the horrific case of root rot (brown algae, in my case) was caused by light leaks. I was just about to chuck it, but folks on the forum said, DON'T GIVE UP. And although growth was stunted on the four plants, I got a very decent harvest and decent bud out of it.

I have yet to find myself in the situation you describe, but I think I would be able to recognize if a plant weren't salvageable and that it would be more cost-effective to get rid of it and start again.

Maybe a little harsh for newer growers but reality.

Comment

I guess what I am trying to say is there is just so much you can do. Some plants just get sick and can't be fixed. The roots are growing leave it alone and let it do its thing without interruption.

Comment

• Burny
        Burny commented
        Editing a comment
        I just think it is more efficient to just start over sometimes. In the amount of time you will spend trying to correct the problem and end up with a stunted plant. You could start over and have a bigger plant that hasn't been stunted. If you have that option. If you don't yes I would try to correct the problem and I have but knowing what I know now if possible I would start over. I know this is harsh and hard to do for a new grower but sometimes it is the best thing to do as far as yields are concerned.

• berrypilot
        berrypilot commented
        Editing a comment
        🌱 It's true that sometimes the most efficient thing to do can be to start over, but that doesn't necessarily mean this is a case like that, or that it's the right thing for a particular grower to do in their situation. It's kind of mean to say, "Leave it alone and let it grow or die" because that sounds a lot like, "There's nothing you can do" when there definitely is still a good chance the plant can come back if you fix the root of the problem. As alltatup said, there are examples earlier in the thread of growers doing just that so it's not impossible.

Some growers don't have infinite money for seeds, and want to figure out how to make things work, instead of just starting over any time there is a problem and going through lots and lots of seeds in the process. Plus, you'll never learn how to permanently fix and prevent the same problem from happening again if you just ignore it and hope it doesn't come back. 🌱

• Burny
        Burny commented
        Editing a comment
        If you don't understand the part about it is better to start over you will someday when you have more experience. I never said it wasn't impossible it is just usually not the best thing to do.

This was the rez when I finally popped her open. It's all cleaned out with fresh nute water, and I have some light leaks to check when I get home!
      Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Mcubed, believe me, I'm waiting with bated breath!!!

• Doubledealing72
        Doubledealing72 commented
        Editing a comment
        Allatup,

So I get out if work and take a look down in the room. I did exactly what you said, and you'll never believe what I saw....

Light

Okay, maybe you totally believe it because that's what you have been trying to tell me to do this whole time lol.

I'm not sure if 9 hours was a long enough of a light leak to allow it to start the brown algae up again, but I'll see in a couple days. It was coming through the net pots holes. One of the net pots was only half full of hydroton so a bunch of light was coming through there. Also around the edges, so I taped down my paper plates so now all should be completely light proof!

I cannot thank you enough for all the advice!

In the meantime, I'm going to brew the tea I was talking about. It seems like a good way to prevent this from happening again.

I'll keep you updated!

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Mcubed, I AM SO HAPPY!!! I was exactly the same way as you, and I thought about that after I yelled at you ;-} to get down on the floor and look up. It took me forever to do that, it was like I didn't want to believe that there were more light leaks cuz in my case, I doled out a lot of $ for the grow box and I wanted it to be perfect. I finally reached my wit's end: my temps were good, my preventatives were there, but wtf??? I had to do the same kind of tweaking you're doing right now, to get rid of light leaks. Then the problem stopped. I think I'm gonna suggest to Nebula that she put a little more emphasis on the light leak issue in DWC tubs, boxes, closets, etc etc etc.

This is so awesome, you've solved this problem and you won't have to deal with it again because now you KNOW. This is how we help each other on this forum: I know you'll pay this forward with others cuz you'll KNOW!!! ;-}

The only thing I did when the root rot came back was getting the new totes, cleaning them out with h2o
      🌱 I've noticed that young plants seem really sensitive to you moving their roots. Reservoir changes, changing to a new tote, or even just pulling the net pot up a few inches to peak inside will move the roots, and sometimes that's all it takes to trigger problems for me with sensitive plants. It sounds like you may have found the true cause of the problem (damn that light!), but I just recommend trying to leave the roots untouched in the reservoir as best you can while they're recovering I know when I first started growing DWC, I was taking the plants in and out of the system all the time, taking pictures of the roots, scrubbing the inside of the reservoir if it felt even a little slimy, etc, and I feel like often that extra moving seemed to stress the seedlings more than it helped. Once they're a month old with huge white solid roots, it seems like you can move them quite a bit and they don't care. 🌱
      (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• Burny
        Burny commented
        Editing a comment
        You shouldn't be moving your plants anytime.

• Capncanna
        Capncanna commented
        Editing a comment
        Pilot your so right. I Didn't do a res change for the first 2 weeks. When I did clean the res I didn't touch the roots let them sit in the water. I worked with corals and sea life and saw the oils in skin do all kinds of weirdness to living things. It kills coral. I watch the leaves and let the roots do there thing. For me air circulation in the res was my biggest problem , airstones not working or leaking. Lots of good bubbles is what you want. Keep the faith.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X