Root rot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root rot?

Hey all, checked my roots tonight and my biggest one seems to have root rot above the water in the reservoir. Would this be because of the top fed method? Getting too much water over the roots? I pulled the top fed tube out of that one because the roots are touching the water already. I plan to do a reservoir change tomorrow with a little more hydroguard than I used last time. Will this be effective? Any other suggestions?
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Hey mcubed, we need more information: what's your water temp? And the thing that has given me root rot in the past: ANY LIGHT LEAKS? If you have light leaks, the problem will persist. "Too much water" in DWC won't cause root rot.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Doubledealing72 I'd put something completely light proof over net pots. Light might be getting in thru paper plates. If you hold a paper plate up to a light, you'll definitely see the light through it.

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will definitely get right on that! Thank you! Would anyone happen to know what specifically causes the rot to be above the reservoir water rather than below the water level? I read that it can be either, but I didn't see an explanation for it if there is one

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      mcubed, that is a good question. Let's do some research and see if we can find an answer.

Check for light leaks like alltatup said are u useing dark airlines because my clear airlines were piping in light like a fiber optic cables also what is your res temp.
    It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      I am using clear ones, but they are towards the bottom of the net pot covered in hydroton, with a paper plate on top of the net pot. It's possible the light is still getting in somewhere though. I'll have to check when I go down there.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks to alltatup I started using great white and solved the root issue. I have hi temp in res but the combo of hydroguard and great white solved it. Also a little voodoo juice never hurts.😀 I've never had light issues . Baskets packed w hydrostone and reflective tape the tops of the res covers seems to work for me. Hang in , it's nothing but fun when the babies turn into big bushes.
    Bubbleponics
    Advanced platinum 450w
    Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
    hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      Thanks cap! I'll have to look into great white and see if that will help!

Well, checked the reservoirs and they both had this brownish algae stuff in there. I cleaned out both takes with Dawn dish soap and hot water and thoroughly rinsed both of them out. I also took out the top feeds in both tanks. I plan to hand water the rapid rooters every day to make sure they are damp still. I also added a little bit extra hydroguard than the last time, not too much, hopefully that will all help. I also put reflective tape all of the paper plates to prevent any light from getting in. I'll let everyone know how she's doing after I get out of work tonight. Can't wait!
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck with this!!! I'm also dealing with the same thing in my small grow box right now. I feel root rot solidarity with ya!!!

• Burny
      Burny commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to tape all around the sides of your reservoirs also. If you haven't already. Those totes are not light proof.

I don't want to be that guy but replace your clear airlines with uv proof 1s. It looks like u have a real problem there it looks like me res did a month ago
    It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      Don't be afraid to be that guy man! Thanks for the info, that is the next step I will take! Would it be cool to wrap the clear tubes in reflective tape?

Can you use voodoo juice in DWC?
    oh and cover your pots and lines.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.PNG
Views:	307
Size:	959.1 KB
ID:	111396
    First grow Bagseed and Acid Dough:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ough-by-ripper

First grow Acid Dough:
    https://growdiaries.com/diaries/2642-first-dwc-grow

Second grow Monster Cropped Acid Dough:
    https://growdiaries.com/diaries/2920...clone-revegged

1000w HPS. (4) 136w LEDs. 48x96x80" flower tent. (1) 136w LED. (6) 13w cfls. 2x2x4' clone tent. DWC. House and Garden nutes: Aqua Flakes + supplements per HG DWC feeding schedule. Hydroguard.

Comment

Howdy mcubed476, I have tried H2O2, Hydroguard, Dutch Masters Root Zone, and GH Florashield to control root rot. None worked as well as what I am doing on my current grow.
      First. I covered ALL net pots with aluminum foil, the ones with and without plants. The pots with plants just have a small hole for the seedling which enlarges as the plant stem grows.
      Secondly. I quit opening the top of the reservoir to change out the ice bottles. In the past I had to open up the top, exposing the reservoir to light, to fish out the (thawed) ice bottles. I cut out the bottom of the net pot that I use to add nutrients and water. This keeps the bottles from 'drifting' away and allows quick and easy exchange.
      I still use the GH Florashield (2ml/gal lower than before) as an inoculant against molds and fungi from starting. I have the cleanest roots and the sweetest smelling reservoirs that I have ever had.
      Here's a photo to clarify (I hope).
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Burny
        Burny commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't put frozen water bottles directly in my reservoir. Get a tote that is larger than your reservoir and put your reservoir inside it. Add some water and frozen water bottles to the outer tote to chill your reservoir.

• Doubledealing72
        Editing a comment
        That's a great idea burn! I have quite a few 18 gallon totes, I'll have to try that! I contemplated wrapping both my totes in reflective tape around the whole tote instead of just the lid, I think I might do that this morning. Thanks for the advice!

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Doubledealing72, I also wrap the out side of the tote (10 gallon) with bubble wrap as insulation. One could use ant number of insulating materials, but I had 'free' bubble wrap! Placing the ice bottle in close proximity has not hurt any of my plants. I use a straight sided bottle with a capacity of .7 liters and it lowers the temperature of the water (6 gallons) by about 5 to 6 degrees F.

If you need to get rid of the algae on the roots I use a 17:1 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and spray it directly onto the roots. It helped alot. I put 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract into the res and turned on the top feeding system to circulation the solution to the roots above the water line. Props to alltatup for the advice!
      Last edited by deezplantz; 07-01-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        SO GLAD if it's working well for your setup!!!!!

Hello 476, Hated to read about the root rot ,, but glad Alltatup an others came to help you out , not Alltatups first rodeo excellent advice. Good Luck.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Aw shucks, DAAS, but true: I have learned a thing or two about the root rot...

I hope this picture helps you understand what I was talking about putting your reservoir in a larger tote. I had an algae problem before I taped my reservoirs.
      Last edited by Burny; 07-02-2017, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I did the old frozen water bottle thing for a couple of weeks, and it drove me crazy. I'd put two huge bottles in my res. and they'd be done in like an hour. A chiller is definitely an investment....

• Doubledealing72
        Editing a comment
        Damn dude, that looks like a hell of a plant you have there!

• Burny
        Burny commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks she is doing pretty good.

Well fuck, the root rot doesn't seem to be getting better. I may go invest in some great white. I hear it's expensive but worth it
      Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Doubledealing72
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for all this advice allatup, you have been extremely helpful! I will look into getting new totes today, and probably some new air stones as well. I probably didn't clean them the best way so there still may be some of the brown yuck in them(I just used Dawn dish soap and hot water).

What did you mean when you said I didn't use any ballast where I drilled my holes through? A ballast is something for mh bulbs so you don't blow a fuse right? I am just a little confused on that part (it's possible you may have meant a different term and auto correct got in the way lol). I did notice that where I drilled the holes could have been the problem so I put reflective tape around that part as well to cover those holes. But it's very possible these are not light proof totes as you suggested.

Don't worry, I'm definitely not giving up! I'm in this until they are officially dead, or I have weed to harvest, hopefully the latter lol.

Also, I read on gwe that using sm 90 and hydroguard at the same time is counterintuitive because one is killing all the bacteria, even the good bacteria you are putting in. Wouldn't the same concept apply with the great white and sm 90 together?

• Doubledealing72
        Editing a comment
        One other question. I understand a persistent light leak is no good, but I'm guessing that peaking into your rez to test pH and add water is okay right? You can check in from time to time, it just can't be a constant source of light shining through correct?

• Burny
        Burny commented
        Editing a comment
        I taped my totes everywhere but the bottom with white gorilla tape. It worked for me.

You just need a tiny bit so it's not really very much. Buy the smallest jar you can. Did you clean with h2o2? That really did the trick for me. Just wipe it on everything in the res.
      Bubbleponics
      Advanced platinum 450w
      Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
      hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

Hello 476 You getting excellent advice from Alltatup an Capncanna you've already got to much invested to not finish it right. Good Luck.
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	341.0 KB ID:	111627Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	353.3 KB ID:	111628

Doubledealing72 Shoot, I don't remember what it's called. This is what I used to install the chiller on my big box. They fit in there real tight and seal on both sides.

Also, I wouldn't use anything like Dawn to clean anything associated with your grow because of all the dyes and fragrance they put in those commercial products. Bad shit, haven't used stuff like that for years. I soak my airstones in water and H2O2 and scrub them with a little brush. And yes, I use new ones for each new grow.

For now, you just wanna get down there, look under the lid and see if it's PITCH BLACK!!!!!! Then your roots will be happy and will give you a big wet kiss!!!!!

Last edited by alltatup; 07-02-2017, 09:14 AM.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Burny
            Burny commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a rubber grommet I am pretty sure.

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh, I see what you're saying now. I just went to 4 different stores to get things I needed. I got great white, black tubing, 2 new totes that I will be putting reflective tape over the entirety of them. I also finally got a 5 gallon water jug for mixing nutes lol. I put the great white in the rez's. Tomorrow I will be changing everything over to the new totes if no progress is made. I also found holes where the handles are that were probably the culprits of the light leak, so I covered those quick. I would like to get all this done now, but I have to go to work so it will have to wait until I'm done before I do any heavy duty changes.

Once again, thanks for all the help, you have been awesome! I will update when I get home from work tonight!

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Grommet, flange, o-ring, gasket, washer, dryer, seal, walrus, ribbit, I don't know what the heck it's called!!!

All I know is that mcubed is gonna make it work!!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X