Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I HAD to choose...

Hi all,

First time grower here. I am using white widow autoflower seeds and growing outdoors. I live in a very hot, humid part of the American south -- beginning in June days routinely hit 95 or better. I have been using the GWE tutorials, and everything is coming along. I am around Day 50 of my grow - the plant is about a foot tall and is definitely beginning to flower. I am guessing that I will be able to harvest around the end of June.

Here's my question:

GWE says that as the plant ends the vegetative stage and enters the flowering stage, it is much less tolerant of heat, but it still likes lots of sunlight. This means that it will be too hot for my plant outdoors during the midst of the flowering. So, just take it inside, right? Well, sure, but I have young children so I am unwilling to set up a grow light, etc. So I am left with a choice: EITHER leave it outside and risk the damage from the heat (but ensure lots of sunlight) OR take it inside where it is a constant 75 degrees (but severely limit the sunlight -- my windows have UV coating too).

If I had to pick one, what should I do? Or is there a compromise that I am not seeing? Any help is much appreciated.

Also, just as an aside, does my plant look underdeveloped for 50 days?

Good point on the window glazing/reflectivity/insulated etc.. I'm fortunate I have 30 year old plain windows which allows more sunlight in.

What are your usual night time temps? Root average temperature is also a factor, which can be influenced by the container.

Outside- use a tarp to provide some shade- be mindful that the temps may be 95f , but a healthy plant may only be around 80f. Or it coudl eb teh other way around where the plant is warmer than the ambient temps.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

At night it gets down to 80. I definitely have spots in the yard with plenty of shade. But if it is sitting in the shade all day, it might as well be in the house where it is cool, right? I am totally new at this, so I have no idea.

Comment

• OzBud
        OzBud commented
        Editing a comment
        I have mates that grow outside in full sun with temps up to 118F with no problems. Indicas and sativas

Hello ProfessorX. I to live in the super hot, humid ,sticky, mosquito infested delta region of the deep south. Have always grown outdoors and never had any problems except for a few deer, and the rare poacher, but he don't come around anymore!!! It ain't even got hot yet where I live. Good Luck
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Underdeveloped - yes, I have to agree.
        That being said, it still has buds on it. It looks good, you've brought it this far keep going.
        I would try and put a fan of some kind to just give it some wind. Doesn't have to be on all day, put it on a timer for like 15 minutes out of every hour.
        My $ .02
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

You could move it to a spot in your yard tht dosent always get hit with direct sunlight. Also I would suggest switching to photo period plants because autos do not do well in high temperature it will take longer but I think you will be happier with the outcome.

Comment

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry St.buds I have to disagree with the high temp thing - my tent runs around 70-85F with humidity 60ish-sometimes those numbers are higher and the plants love the tropicalness about it - exhaust the air 15 mins out of every 60

• St.buds
            St.buds commented
            Editing a comment
            That's not even high temperature but anyways I dnt grow autos thts just what I've read on gwe

its going to be happier outside, transplant to the biggest pot you can or a raised bed, cover the top of the soil with straw (what horses eat) or something to reflect the light, also you could cover the pot with white plastic of any material you have access to so it absorbs the less light possible, the roots are the problem, they can cook under the sun, once the plant is big enough it will shade its own pot. another thing you could try is making a little "greenhouse" with a couple of steel rods making an upside down "U" witch you can cover with shade cloth or, again, what ever you can get on the hottest hours of the day. good luck, your plant is looking really happy and healthy

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            thats called a hoop greenhouse i think

• Tika
            Tika commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said 9fingers

ProfessorX welcome to the forum, and here's to all of us DIRTY SOUTH growers!!!

You probably have another 4 weeks of growth to go--I just looked up Dinafem Auto White Widow, and that one harvests at 75-80 days. So she has time to fatten up those buds.

What are you feeding her?
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Love it alltatup,, DIRTY SOUTH ,my kind of place.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              What you growers know about the Dirty South...

hey professorx you could also keep that pot moist and the evaporation would cool the roots which in turn will cool the plant. when I was in the desert we would hang canvas bags full of water with the outside wet the water inside was always cool compared to water in out canteens it was like ice water
            new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
            current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Defo the inside of the plant...and a little on outside..heat will be fine...you just want air to be able to move inside of the plant...that will stop the humidity sweats... Hotter days with cool nights...just what you want...leave her outside she will be fine...taking her in and out isn't the best option... She's been outside this long..she can handle it..
              weed plants are tough...we are the week ones..

Comment

• Tika
                Tika commented
                Editing a comment
                Greenie too well said

Originally posted by alltatup View Post
              What you growers know about the Dirty South...
              One year in New Orléans was plenty for me!!!
              x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                You just a brother from another continent...

Thanks, everyone for your help. To answer AllTatUp, I am not feeding it anything right now, except water. What should I feed this thing?

Also, I like the idea about something white/reflective on top of the soil to abate some of the heat. What if I just added an inch or two of perlite on top of the soil? Is that a dumb idea? Seems like it would be at least a bit reflective, it's white, and it allows for aeration...
              Last edited by ProfessorX; 05-23-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                if thats what you have id say go for it, but its not the best, it floats very easily and becomes a mess, big holes where you pour the water and the plant will try to make roots in there, you can always make a cicrcle out of something, make hole in the middle and cut from the center to the edge to lock around the stem, like plastic or even cardboard, make a cillinder around the pot and you got yourself a reflective pot case...

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Prof, I'm a hydro grower, so I know less than squat about outdoors growing, but she may be small cuz she needs some nutrients to help her maximize her bloom. So let's hear from the other experts what he should feed it...

Originally posted by alltatup View Post
              You just a brother from another continent...
              If we go back a few gens we're probably all degenerated cousins!!!
              x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Speak for yourself, cuz: I ain't no degenerate!!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X