Can Auto's Use Smaller Pot Sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Auto's Use Smaller Pot Sizes?

I'm wondering if the quick veg period of the Autogrows means I can get away with a smaller pot size? I currently have 5 gal pots. It makes it difficult to fit them into my confined space thereby keeping them in the prime area of the LED.

Does anyone know if the root system of Autos are smaller? This would allow me to step down to perhaps 3 gal without limiting the yield. I dutifully read What's The Best Pot by NebulaHaze But, I didn't spot the answer to this specific question

thanks,
    Gears
    Do something nice for a stranger today!

I am planning to grow autos next and was thinking about using 3 gallon smart pots. I will be waiting for answers from auto growers too!
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Comment

Originally posted by PuravidaC View Post
      was thinking about using 3 gallon smart pots.
      So was I. NebulaHaze partially addresses this under Smart Pots when she says you should "double up the normal size". Although, depending on the answer to the original question, this may be affected as well.

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Re-read Nebula's smart pots post. Thanks for the link! It seems she recommends doubling normal size pots due to smart pots dry out faster and like Canuck says, "smaller pot=smaller plant but aren't autos smaller than photos anyway therefore could be grow to their full potential in a smaller pot than a photo?

You can grow a plant in any container - drainage provided - only difference is, smaller pot = smaller plant - but not always, if your plant has her mind set on growing tall, they will.
      I have seen pics of grows in 1 liter yogurt containers.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

You will do fine using a 3 gal pot. I use two 3 gal. or one 7 gal pot in the tent depending on how many plants I want to grow. The smaller pot tend to go in to flower a bit sooner and finish sooner, but of course will have a smaller yield.

Comment

I've used 3 gal fabric pots for autos in coco. Used a 2 gal airpot with good results. I had to water both once a day by mid grow.

Comment

I use 3 gallon smart pots also .@Rock man has been using 5 gallon pots and I think he said they might be a little large, but dude check out his 3 grows Awesome.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

I'm currently using 5 gal pots with my autos and most have roots coming out the bottom.... I'd be worried about a smaller pot in my case. This is my first grow tho so I'm sure others with more experience will have some pros/ cons to list.
              FusionHut 5x5x6.5, Mars II LED 900W (veg/bloom modes), 4" Fusion Breath inline fan w/ carbon filter
              Coco/Perlite 70/30 "ish" in 5 gall fabric pots, GH Trio+CaliMagic+GrowTec PH Up/Down, PH test drops
              2x6" clip on fans, 1x8" desk fan, 1x12" oscillating fan

Comment

I'm presently using 6 two gal. Smart pots, for my AK-47 autos out side grow.thay are at 6 nodes now and growing good. That was my thinking as well momma smaller pot for autos.I will prob. Regret it as far as watering goes but I will see when thay get bigger. My 2 cents...... Next grow 3gal.

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated.

It is a bit of a mixed bag. I suppose the species of plant comes into play as well. I don't want to give up any 'significant' amount of yield. However, if it meant I could get an extra plant in each harvest, that could be worth it. Where is my slide rule?

I may play with a combination of 5 gallon plastic and 3 gallon Smart Pots to see what works. I have a seedling going in a 5 gal now. So, I'll leave it alone. I have another in a solo cup that I'm not confident in. And 2 more in a glass of water. Would like to squeeze all 4 into the least amount of sq ft as I can. Fortunately, I do have room to expand. But that section would have to be CFL as my LED would be ineffective there.

BTW. They are all White Widow Auto's if that plays into it

thanks,
                  Gears

Comment

• Herby
                    Herby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Love white widow autos!!! which breeder are they from?

• Gears
                    Gears commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hard to say, Herby I bought them from Crop King Seeds in BC They don't really say where they sourced them. In the future, I plan to stick to true breeders like Nirvana so I can have some confidence in their source.

• Herby
                    Herby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    definitely well white widow is great!! goodluck man

Damn Gears...slid rule???? You must be really old!! Blahahaha! Only kidding, I used one for high school math!!! Great question. I have been using 5 gallon plastic buckets for my photo grows and they are full of roots when I harvest but like you, my grow space and lights have a smaller footprint so two or three, 3 gallon smart pots would work better than 5 gallon pots.
                  DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
                  315 LEC
                  6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
                  6" Carbon filter
                  3- 6" fans
                  humidifier
                  temp and humidity gauge
                  5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
                  FF trio nutrients

Comment

Originally posted by PuravidaC View Post
                    Damn Gears...slide rule???? You must be really old!!.
                    Well, I still have milk crates kicking around that I used to keep vinyl in. Nothing like a double LP release to clean out all the seeds that were common back in the day. So, if I suddenly stop posting, just assume cardiac arrest.

I was looking at @MrGreen23 's setup. He is using 5 gallon Smart Pots in his latest setup. It appears he is using 14" trays under 16" square stands. Mr. Green has a 4' X 4' tent. If I were to emulate this using 3 gal pots, I think I'd still have the same problems due to the size of the stands. My stands would be around 13"

I also notice in that same thread that @ZigZag recommended minimum 1 gallon trays and some type of stand. That's actually what got me thinking about the milk crates. I could run them through the saw and shorten them. The 1 gallon tray option might throw a monkey wrench into the works though. That could negate the space savings.
                    Last edited by Gears; 05-16-2017, 06:22 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

I think I should bring my jorge cerventeis Bible up from the cellar lol. in it he state that the amount of time that a plant is going to be growing tells you what size pots you can use (now this is from memory and I have a bad memory hahaah) a plant that is only going to be alive for 2 to 3 months will do nicely in 3 gallon pots any longer then bigger pots. the Bigger the roots the bigger the buds . I used 3 gallon for a few grows then I switched to 5 gallon and I put 4 plants(in 5 gallon pot ) in my room instead of 5 in 3 gallon pots. remember Ive only grown Photos so my girls are often alive longer than 3 months . Giving that my thc bomb autos are supposed to take 65 days from seed to chop I think I would try a plant in a 5 gallon and 1 in a 3 gallon to see if the yield is different
                      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• PuravidaC
                        PuravidaC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Keep us posted.

• bobsakamoto
                        bobsakamoto commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes, yes, please keep us posted.

Originally posted by oldjarhead100 View Post
                      I think I would try a plant in a 5 gallon and 1 in a 3 gallon to see if the yield is different
                      I think this is pretty much what I'll be doing.

It dawned on me last night that I will have 2 seedlings which I may not have been giving proper care to so far and 2, hopefully, freshly germinated plants all under the same lighting. So, this may cause me some issues. It may not be an apples to apples experiment. But, I'm heading over to my local hydro shop today to see what they have available in the way of pots

Comment

I use 3 Gal fabric pots for my Main Autoflowering plants, and i use 2 fabric gal pots for the autos that finish quicker. In my experience 1 gallon is too small and 5 gal is too big, only a couple autos of mine has fully filled a 5 gal pot, which is why i mostly use 3gal now. Hope this helps

Comment

• Gears
                          Gears commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, Herby

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X