The Seedy Side Of Seedbanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Seedy Side Of Seedbanks

So, I decided to order more seeds this week (only my second time) in order to have the next batch started as soon as the current ones go into the flowering stage. I'm specifically looking at low odor Autos. After reading many reviews, I arrived at Nirvana's Blue Mystic and Dutch Passion's Auto Duck.

The next decision to make was which seed bank to buy from. Of course, I read the Seeds Page by NebulaHaze first. There is a bewildering array of outfits claiming to have seeds from virtually every breeder on the planet. Who to trust? The obvious first choice would be to go directly to the breeders. Although, that would mean paying shipping fees twice.

In my travels, I came across a site claiming to be Nirvana Canada. Obviously, avoiding customs is preferable. It's cheaper, faster and far less likely to be intercepted. However, the site got my spider senses tingling immediately. It seemed amateurish. A quick email to Nirvana confirmed they are aware of the site. But, they say it is difficult to do anything about the copyright infringements from the other side of the pond. I've no idea whether the site is even selling real Nirvana seeds. I'm not willing to give them money regardless.

Speaking of possible counterfeiting, Dutch Passion has moved to a very expensive 4 color metal packaging in order to make it prohibitively costly for the apparent proliferation of people selling fake DP products. Dutch Passion will not ship to Canada. However, they do provide a list of 4 or 5 recognized Canadian seed banks they deal with. Of those, most were either off line, left me unimpressed or had shipping policies I didn't care for. At this point I was beginning to worry about ordering at all.

It was about then that I began to consider just going with the Northern Lights from Crop King Seeds in BC. That's where I got my current White Widows. Delivery to my mailbox was a week to the day from placing the order. CKS seems way to focussed on marketing to me. My order arrived with very expensive marketing materials that were essentially the web site printed on heavy paper stock. It would have been cheaper for them (and better for me) to toss in a spare seed instead. There are so many reports of screwups on their part that it is nearly impossible to feel confident that what I received is even what I ordered.

I looked at a slew of Canadian seed banks. There always seemed to be some policy or cost that just didn't sit well with me.

So, overseas it is. There are plenty of well establihed legit seed banks in the UK and NL. Which one to use? It really came down to freebies, if I'm honest. As I am commited to Autos, that was a definite factor. In the end, I chose Seedsman. I feel pretty good about the choice since it made the short (very short) list from NebulaHaze

Frankly, I think I made out like a bandit. Taking advantage of the Loyalty Points I earned from signing up, which saved me $6 Can and paying an extra $12.50 for a tracked, signature required shipment, the total for 3 Auto Ducks and 5 Blue Mystics was $110 Can.

What makes this deal so damned sweet is the Freebies. Although it was a tad confusing at first, I signed up for Bitcoin. This added another $5 to the bill. However, paying with Bitcoin qualified me for 8 free seeds (my choice of Fem, auto or regular See photo) from well known breeders! On top of that, the other promotions on the site gave me 10 more seeds. 15 of the free 18 are Autos. Paid for 8 but will get 26! Less that $4.50 Canadian per seed all in. If, that is, they make it through Customs. Fingers crossed.

Gears
    Attached Files
    Find out how to safely order cannabis seeds online to the USA, and learn which marijuana seed banks we recommend (and use ourselves)!
    Last edited by Gears; 05-13-2017, 03:01 PM.
    Do something nice for a stranger today!

🌱 Man, I've ran into so many problems with seed banks from the US and Canada!!! Now I stick with Seedsman and Nirvana. They always do well for me. I used to use Sensible Seeds. I just like how fast they ship out, and the people seem chill. Back in the day they used to sell research drugs! But they stopped taking credit cards until they get a new Checkout Cart system, so I'm waiting until they take cards again before I order from them again. Herbies was cool, but then I had this really bad experience with them where a representative tried to lie to me and say I purchased regular seeds when the receipt clearly said auto-flowering seeds. It may just be a one-time thing but I don't use them anymore out of spite 🌱
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

Seedsman are great. My last order during black Friday sales I think it was I ordered 12 seeds and got 14 for free without using bitcoin. I've previously used bitcoin though for buying much more sinister things online than a few seeds.
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

I'm going to have to look into this bitcoin thing before my next Seedsman order. I'm sticking with them until they give me reason to go elsewhere, was quite impressed overall with their service and selection.

Comment

Originally posted by OzBud View Post
          I've previously used bitcoin though for buying much more sinister things online than a few seeds.
          Just gonna let that soak in, OzBud .

Comment

• OzBud
            OzBud commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pleading the 5th

• Herby
            Herby commented
            Editing a comment
            lolol same though, use bitcoin for a bit of things

• Rockett1973
            Rockett1973 commented
            Editing a comment
            How do you get bitcoin

Curious how you make out with your order as we're in Canada too. Seedsman is where I'd like to order from, but honestly worried they'll get snagged at customs. Crossing fingers for you!!!
          FusionHut 5x5x6.5, Mars II LED 900W (veg/bloom modes), 4" Fusion Breath inline fan w/ carbon filter
          Coco/Perlite 70/30 "ish" in 5 gall fabric pots, GH Trio+CaliMagic+GrowTec PH Up/Down, PH test drops
          2x6" clip on fans, 1x8" desk fan, 1x12" oscillating fan

Comment

007 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was quite concerned about this as well, but they have a stealth shipping option that places the seeds with some random innocuous product, and if they do get snagged they'll reship. Good stuff, no worries

Originally posted by MommaBear View Post
          Curious how you make out with your order as we're in Canada too. Seedsman is where I'd like to order from, but honestly worried they'll get snagged at customs. Crossing fingers for you!!!
          MommaBear I'll upate this thread when (if) they arrive. I'm expecting somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks. Just placed the order yesterday. Since it is a tracked order, I'll know how long it sits in Customs.

Seedsman does this (Canada/US) many times a day, I would imagine. But, it is only natural to be worried about it. Given my setup here, 26 seeds represents a year's worth of growing. Hmm. 26 seeds - 52 weeks. I'm going to need to step up my consumption. Heh Heh

Still another year, at least, before this is legalized. Trudeau got the votes he wanted. So, no rush for him I suppose.

I'll be holding onto most of the the non-low odour seeds until then. I expect to be ordering more later this year. Actually, given my bloody awful start to my first grow, maybe later next month.

Gears

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            NOBODY is going to administrate my grows!!! Give me liberty (haze) or give me death!!!

• Gears
            Gears commented
            Editing a comment
            alltatup I have a picture of you in my mind's eye sitting on a rocking chair in front of your garden with a 12 guage on your lap.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Gears Maybe a water pistol...

I use Bonza seeds they have a super stealth shipping method that is guarantied if the package get stopped in customs they will reship the same order at no cost to you as well as tracking ,I never had an issue with them and their freebees come labeled so there is no guess work
          new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
          current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Gears
            Gears commented
            Editing a comment
            According to Seedsman, they too place the seeds in individual marked bags. It would be a nightmare to receive this many seeds having no idea which is which.

It is helpfull to hear of your's and other's positive experiences, though. Kind of reassuring. Thanks

I have to put a good word in for seedsman.........always come through for me😀
          The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

I want to add something about Seedsman here.

I have had a few exchanges with them now. Whether it was by email or leaving a message on their Help Box on the site, they have been exemplary in getting back to me immediately. They are prompt, friendly and personable. As lousy Customer Service/Support is one of my bigger pet peeves, I could not be more appreciative of that.

Additionally, unlike some outfits who have Blogs they contribute to for a while and then seem to abandon, Seedsman are the complete opposite. They provide a wealth of information on their site. I should keep this to myself They have weekly Giveaways that are just amazing! Check them out every Friday on the Seedsman Blog Winners announced on the following Monday. Just remember ole Gears if you win!

Gears

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree w/ all you say about Seedsman, and that is also my experience w/ SeedSupreme: great customer service.

Seedsman and nirvana, I used card and sent cash to each one, got orders each time.

Comment

The bogus site Nirvana Canada is not online today. Hmm. Just days after my conversation with Nirvana about it. Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Vapo69 View Post
                I have to put a good word in for seedsman.........always come through for me😀
                Me too Vapo
                Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Herby
                  Herby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  had mine sit at Heathrow for a week and it arrived somehow!! so dont lose hope gears!

• Gears
                  Gears commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Herby I'm not really too worried.
                  However, at the rate I kill plants, I may need them sooner than later. LOL

• Herby
                  Herby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bruh no way youre killing plants x.x

speaking of bitcoin, anyone hear of Remitano? a place to buy bitcoin? Im looking into it but skeptical about where to sign up.
                Team AutoMechanics

Comment

Originally posted by Sonnyhad View Post
                  speaking of bitcoin, anyone hear of Remitano? a place to buy bitcoin? Im looking into it but skeptical about where to sign up.
                  I used Coinbase, Sonnyhad A few people commented in this thread that they preferred it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X