Wet trim vs dry trim.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet trim vs dry trim.

I'm forever reading new articles and threads on various sites and forums in the never ending quest for knowledge.

Currently I'm reading about wet trim vs dry trim.

I know wet trim is easier and will make the buds less harsh as less leaf matter is left over and also be more visually appealing.
    I also know dry trimming will increase yield a bit but the buds wont be as visually appealing and a little harsher.

Something I hadn't read about before and I've now come across it in a few different sources including this article on Sensi Seeds blog
    Should cannabis flowers be trimmed before drying or after? Let’s debate which method is best.

is that there's a fair few people out there that believe the taste and smell of wet trimmed buds is inferior to dry trimmed buds even after a good curing.

I did a dry trim last grow and was considering a wet trim this harvest, has anyone done both to the same plant and after a good cure noticed that the taste and smell of the wet trim buds didn't compare to the dry trim?
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

I do a wet trim now because I purchased a bud spinner , before that I did both ways I felt that people trimmed the buds to make them look better and the looks of dry trimmed didn't bother me so I left the leaves on to dry for awhile . the only problem I found was after things dried up it was very difficult to get a close trim so I left all the sugar leaves on and smoked it , I also think that bud that is dry trimmed rolls better joints because of the extra leaf material sometimes being ignorant is a blessing hahaha. never did it at the same time might be interesting to compare I have about 4 weeks until harvest Ill try a couple of branches to test it
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I leave some of the 'sugar' leaves on the buds, primarily too make it easier to judge the dryness of the bud and because, I think, that the leaves help to dry the bud better. After all, the leaves do transpire water as a natural function of the leaf, so they may help to 'draw' out moisture from the bud during the drying.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

🌱 I've tried it both ways. I think the length of time to dry is what's actually most important. ⏰ If it takes 5+ days to dry, then it always smells good, whether I wet trim or not. If it dries quickly, it has a lower smell, whether I wet trim or not. I like the look and smoothness of wet-trim better, plus I HATE dry trimming, it's such a pain in the butt. 🌱 I feel like if you want that "dry trim" feel, you can dry your trimmed buds a lot closer together (though be careful of mold)! From what I understand the reason the leaves being on the buds helps keep smells is it prevents the very edges of the buds from drying out too fast. If the buds are all close together than you get that same effect. Another thing I've found really important for smell is the temperature. Don't let the buds cook during the last few weeks of flowering, and keep the temperature around 70°F when drying. Some growers even finish drying their buds in the freezer (though it has to dry upside down for at least 3-4 days first), because the defrost setting will take out moisture slowly, without any heat to possible evaporate off smell. For smell, it's all about keeping the buds from experiencing hot or dry conditions, but also preventing mold from cool or humid conditions. It's hard to find that balance. ⚖️
        (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Berrypilot, thanks for adding the additional information, which helps me to understand the article OzBud attached. Very interesting stuff...

• OzBud
          OzBud commented
          Editing a comment
          temps will be lower than 70, they're only getting to a max of about 59 now coming into winter where I am in the southern hemisphere.

I thought it had more to do with drying time, I just thought it strange that Sensi, being such a big well known company didn't mention that at all which had me second guessing my instincts.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X