Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used yeast water instead of fertilizer, did I kill my plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used yeast water instead of fertilizer, did I kill my plant?

Today I was fertilizing my Northern Lights Autoflower plants. They are just beginning the flowering stage and I had my fertilizer and yeast water in the same type of jug. I accidently grabbed the wrong jug and watered one plant with the yeast water and then immediately realized what I had done. It was too late so I just went ahead and fertilized it. I figure if I kill it I kill it and it's a lesson learned. Will the yeast water I was using for CO2 kill the plant? I used right at 2 cups, and the same amount of water/fertilizer.
    The plant doesn't seem upset about it other than looking a little droopy from being overwatered. I let the water drain out and poured it out of the drain tray so it's not siting in water, it has a fan on it to help dry the soil.
    I've read about people who use beer in their plants. These plants are the hardest thing I have ever grown, so I don't know if it's the Northern Lights strain, the autoflowering seeds or just them trying to keep me on my toes. I have literally seen them look perfectly healthy before I go to bed and wake up the next morning and see one or both plants look like they have been run through the mill overnight. So I don't know what to expect.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Current grow:
    2-300w led lights
    1- 60w cfl for germination
    2- 5 gal fiber pots
    Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
    Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
    Seeds:
    Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
    Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
    Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
    Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

I have no clue honestly but if so maybe consider flushing the soil?

Comment

Thanks for your response. I just don't want to stop or hamper the flowering stage. Will flushing the soil do that? I am going to give it a day or two and see if the plant starts to grow several heads or loaves of bread or is laying down gasping for air and then I'll flush the soil. I've never fertilized them during the entire grow and am hoping that doing so now won't damage the plants, even though I have a couple of clones almost ready to go into pots. I'd like to see what the fruits of my efforts are on my first grow. I can say I have now separated the jugs of fertilizer and yeast water!
      Current grow:
      2-300w led lights
      2- 5 gal fiber pots
      Seeds:

Comment

• CCisme
        CCisme commented
        Editing a comment
        Im just two weeks into my first flower but I actually did have to flush mine 3 days into flipping the switch they did fine and are showing the first few pistols in week 2, I think you would be safe since its so early in flower. Probable best to wait for an experienced opinion.

I don't know if anyone would have used yeast in their water on their plants. I just tried a quick search on google. It came back with a couple of articles about GMO yeast that produces THC (I know this doesn't help you with your problem but found it interesting)

here's one of them
      http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-.../#.WRQK_MO1vIU

NebulaHaze have you heard anything about this before?
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

I think you'll be fine but what are you using the yeast water for Co2 production?hows that work ?I use mushrooms but always up for a new adventure.
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Thanks for the google search, I googled and found not a whole lot. I'm going to wait, haven't checked them this morning yet, but last night it looked fine.
          If I have to, I'll flush the soil in a day or two if it starts looking worse.
          I use yeast in water because I was reading that it helps produce CO2 and I have a very small grow, just two plants so the jug is/was perfect for what I needed. Maybe I'll find another container for the yeast water.
          Thanks all.
          Current grow:
          2-300w led lights
          2- 5 gal fiber pots
          Seeds:

Comment

• OzBud
            OzBud commented
            Editing a comment
            just write yeast on some sticky tape and stick it on the jug

Hey dude! I wouldn't worry to much man. Im cousin is a real hippy and grows and makes all he's own food. I remember asking one day why the grass outside his bedroom window was so much taller the the rest of his lawn. I was like why don't you cut it!? He told me he that it does but grows a lot faster becaus he emptys his tubs of yeast water there. Idk if weed is similar to grass but it seem to have liked it!!! I reckon a good flushing out would be the safest bet tho!

Comment

This afternoon, the plant is tall and happy and not at all upset that I poured 2 cups of stinky yeast water on it. So lesson learned is that yeast water will not kill my plant. My clones aren't doing too well. I don't know if I left the humidity cover on them too long. It was an experiment anyway. One has roots, I'm curious enough to pull up the plants to see, So I put some yeast water on them too! Not much just a small amount. I figure as long as I have a plant to cut from, I can always get more clones!
            Thanks for all the responses.
            Current grow:
            2-300w led lights
            2- 5 gal fiber pots
            Seeds:

Comment

I would not recommend watering with yeast based on what I know about it. Yeast makes CO2, which isn't good for your plant roots. I'd also be worried it might get something else growing down there. It might have something in it that's good for plants, (for example it has Nitrogen, which encourages vegetative growth, and might explain fast-growing grass), but you can get those nutrients some other way besides using yeast!

Only the above-the-ground part of the plant uses CO2, and only during the day, as the leaves need CO2 as part of the photosynthesis process.

But plant roots only use water and oxygen. That's why plants grow so fast in hydroponics - the roots are only getting pure water, nutrients, oxygen and nothing else. CO2 might actually hurt your roots by making it harder for them to "breathe" by taking away space that could be oxygen, though honestly I doubt a little yeast one time will have much of an effect, though I definitely hope you report back and let us know if something happens!

It sounds like your plant has already recovered just fine

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X