Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersoil, watering and transplating questions

Heyz (pun intended),

so we are currently in our very first week of growing ever and are very excited to see that our seeds have germinated bud (pun intended) have couple of questions about next steps.

We are keeping everything organic and we mixed our own supersoil which we think is a great idea to grow.. The 60 liters of soil has been composting for 33 days now in a closed container. In the tutorial we read that it will become hot to the touch and that it should always be kept moist but not soggy. What we observed is that it never became literally hot but at the beginning it did feel warm, now is room temperature. As for the moistness, not sure what that exactly means. The soil is definitely not dry but nor is a wet paste, when I grab it it crumbles in my hand so I hope that is in the ballpark. Also when we open the lid we can smell a potent gassy odor, so there is something happening inside.

We are growing the seedlings in jiffs which seem to work perfectly but soon it will be time for their first transplant and we wanna put them in solo cups first.

As for the watering we spray the jiffs every morning, with rain water if available, and we keep them nice and wet and humid in this plastic jiff container which they will soon outgrow. Next week we are leaving for 5 days and would like to implement a dripping system that would provide slow but constant water source for the plants.

My questions are:
    1. Based on my description, is the super soil spot on?

2. When we will transplant into solo cups, I guess in about a week, can we already use bottom half supersoil and upper half coco coir? Or will that be too much nutrition at first and we should only plant in coco coir or regular soil in the solo cups?

3. The soil will be composting for roughly 40 days by that time. Is that enough for 60 liters?

4. Can we keep spraying the plants with water every day even when they are slightly bigger? With this technique the soil is always wet and there is no runoff water, however GWE website says best thing is to water every 3 - 5 days or when the soil is dry up to the first knuckle. Maybe this only applies for bigger plants?

5. Regarding the 5 days away time and dripping mechanism. OK or not OK?

Bonus question: We are also considering LST & Topping/FIMing to increase the yield but we are growing in natural light on a balcony with windows so semi outdoors. Are these techniques also applicable for these conditions or strictly indoors?

Thank you
    Last edited by Bud Lightyear; 04-06-2017, 06:11 AM.

I use a mix of promix and coco . try a ball of lime in the middle of your compost container to start the fire.also i've put in some hydrogaurd, if your compost isn't heating up them its not composting. yes you can spray them but canabus likes to get soaked then dry out . my rule off thumb with plants is to give them enough to get a little run off then let them go untill their dry ,seedling I give enough for them for a couple of days. I measure my water so I know exactly how much they get then how long it will last, a plant 2 to 3 feet tall will drink approximately 1 gal in three days. check your ph . I also use a moisture meter their cheep and they take the guess work out of it. Moist soil will stay in a ball after you squeeze it ,if water runs out its to wet hope this helps
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Bud Lightyear
      Bud Lightyear commented
      Editing a comment
      promix and coco in the solo cup? and after that you use the supersoil ? so the soil has to be really hot not just warm? thanks

Stop spraying the seedlings and let them dry out a bit to prevent dampening off.
    When are you going away for 5 days?
    You can time a transplant to a large/final container (before you leave) and it will hold enough water for that time period.

Bonus answer- cannabis training tries to make a flat canopy to make the flat lights reach more. The sun will arc during each day, so it's not as critical and likely should not be made flat.

A simple stake to the ground at the angle of your latitude/parallel can be used to tie down the main stem - http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...growing-auto-s
    It exposes more bud sights and topping will also increase bud count.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

since we will be using supersoil I don't want to put it in larger/final container so it doesn't get nutrition burn so we will start with smaller ones...we leave next thursday and plants are still in jiffs with no sign of roots popping out so based on how fast they are growing the transplant could happen on wednesday

the stick at the angle sounds good and easy but you also just said topping increases bud ...that's what we would like to achieve, so do we also top the plant or just tilt the main cola? also in this main lining article they also say it's good for outdoors but that sativas are not best suited for that http://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

Comment

• Weed Pharma
        Weed Pharma commented
        Editing a comment
        Bud Lightyear

OK- the next simplest way is to take a saucer/baking dish etc and place 1- 1&1/2" of perlite on the bottom and add water (let sit for 15-20 minutes) and you will make a slush.

If you are using a fabric pot or a pot with holes on the bottom just put it on top of the perlite!
        If you have standard nursery pots- then you want to add more perlite to cover the side holes.

I left a young plant for 13 days (as above) it doubled in size while I was gone and was healthy.

• Bud Lightyear
        Bud Lightyear commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds like a plan, thank you

I am a little confused about your super soil, and your soil. It sounds like you are going to use your compost as a super soil and coco coir for your soil. Is this true? If so I do not think it will work. Compost is used to make organic soil, super soil (two different types of soil) and organic teas to feed plant but not as soil by itself.

To make organic soil you use 1/3 compost mixed to 1/3 coco coir (or peat moss) and 1/3 perlite to this you add earthworm castings, bat guano. blood and bone meal, etc. Let this bake for a month. You take this soil and add more stuff to it ( bat, worm, etc.) and let that bake another 30 days. So two different soils are made from your compost.

From here you put the super soil in the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of your pot and fill the rest with your organic soil that you made. If you are not making super soil and just using organic soil you will need to give the plant nutrients thru out the grow. Never use super soil in pots smaller then 5 gallons.

If you do not have the time to make the super soil and /or the organic soil, you can buy some and use that. You could skip the super soil and use tea made from your compost to feed your plant once the nutrients from your soil have been used up.

Comment

thanks for the concern BuddMarsh ..I followed the recipe on this website http://www.growweedeasy.com/organic-super-soil ...site says to mix the ingredients you mentioned and let it compost for 30 - 60 days ...I am doing that ..once done I should do this (taken directly from the site):

2.) Fill your container with 1/2 super soil, than fill the second 1/2 with Coco Loco on top

You will need not only your super soil but also Coco Loco (or other coco or regular organic soil) to help your young plants transition into the "hot" super soil.

Fill bottom half with super soil, top half with Coco Loco

Fill the bottom 1/2 of your pot with your composted Super Soil mix, then fill the rest of your container with Coco Loco. You can also start with organic soil or another growing medium of your choice, as long as it's not too "hot" (amended with lots of nutrients) for young plants.

I cannot get Coco :Loco here so I'm using BioBizz Coco mix which should be roughly the same...maybe I used term coco coir incorrectly?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	100103.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	76397

Comment

Composting needs air to work and if you make it in a closed container it will get warm and start to compost but then use all the available oxygen and then stop composting and decompose instead which is something you want to avoid. What did you put into your supersoil mix to compost

Comment

I just want to say. Great name and picture

Comment

growmore , we had a lid on and were opening it up like once a week which I guess is not enough ...we used the recipe based on the GWE site: Organic Soil, Biobizz Light-Mix soil, Organic Earthworm Castings, Fish Bone Meal, Dolomite Lime, Bentonite, Blood Meal, Bat Guano, Epsom Salt, Perlite

9fingerleafs thanks, I was thinking vigorously about my selection, so I appreciate your appreciation

Comment

Hey guys, So the girls are growing quite nicely with little hick ups here and there and now the top leaves on our Blueberry started to get pale from the middle. Any idea what it might be? Thanks

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X