Outdoor Wild Predators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Wild Predators

Looking for some advice to keep the wildlife away from my plants.

I am going to put a couple of auto's outside and since they are not that big I was going to put some wire fence messing around them.

So my primary concern -- rabbits and deer would eat these like candy, but perhaps I'm wrong. Then all the others found in most of the country like skunks, opossums, chipmunks, squirrels, porcupines field mice.

Cage them in?

Thanks for any outdoor advice.

Fencing them in is good. I have also put mothballs in a PVC tube with holes drill in it and capped ends. The smell helps keep them away.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      A weed buddy used mothballs to cover the weed smell, and it ruined his crop, which smelled of moth balls and can be very hazardous to human health. Be careful with them!

• BuddMarsh
      BuddMarsh commented
      Editing a comment
      Did he use them inside a tent?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      He's growing in a shed.

Originally posted by yamiacaveman View Post
    Looking for some advice to keep the wildlife away from my plants.

I am going to put a couple of auto's outside and since they are not that big I was going to put some wire fence messing around them.

So my primary concern -- rabbits and deer would eat these like candy, but perhaps I'm wrong. Then all the others found in most of the country like skunks, opossums, chipmunks, squirrels, porcupines field mice.

Cage them in?

Thanks for any outdoor advice.
    Oh yes.
    aplalutly .
    wen I grow out doors I would put the fence around far enough from the center of the plot.
    it makes for a lot off fence as a posed to fencing in each plant.
    but frickin deer have a long reach.

and small critters are mischievous and do some damage.special early spring when there ain't much to eat yet and you have these nice green plants sitting there

I once walked up onto my plot to water,and there's mister rabbit inside the fence munching away.
    don't ask me how the hell he got in there.but he did.

I don't Wana say what I did to get rid of rabbits. but let's just say I fixed them good......no more rabbits
    Last edited by 4barrel; 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

In pots or stationary?

Comment

Well - they are auto's so they will be in pots -- The situation is this -- I have a farm -about 3 hours away from my permanent residence. As the nicer weather progresses I will be spending more time at the farm. I would prefer to let them outside to see how they fair out, also I will probably start some more auto's to put out later on in the season, most of this - experimental.

Taking them in and out could be an option.

I guess my point is how much damage can I expect, personally without caging them in I really don't have a chance - so what to the outside growers do??

Comment

Deer will eat them down to the ground and come back for more if not protected.Rabbits as well, must be fenced well at least 6ft high and I put a second shorter fence around the bottom chicken whire about 2ft high keeps out smaller varments! .02$

Comment

I grow mine on our deck which is high enough off the ground to prevent things from getting them. Might consider a small greenhouse.

Comment

I have wrapped fencing around the pots b4 and nothing messed with them. It was just some standard plastic coated square metal garden fence. I think it was 4' high

Comment

• yamiacaveman
                yamiacaveman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Speedygreen - I think that is my plan - I'm also thinking, since they are auto's, and or at least for now at 4' I can probably throw a piece of fence over the top, may be that will keep the deer off of them. That might keep them OK until I have to go to plan B.

I thought of putting fence on top too but decided to risk it and all was well. I think the fence touching them might freak em out but by all means cover all ur bases bud. Hope all works out well

Comment

Couple of questions first ... are you a man, or at least have access to one 😆 ... and/or do you have a un-neutered dog? An affirmative to one or both is your best bet to protecting your plants, fence free.

I have to deal with native species of Kangaroos, Wallabies and introduced species of deer, rabbits and hare.

If you have an un-neutered dog, let him run around your grow area, marking that territory with urine as his own a few weeks before putting plants down and take him with you every visit to keep up the marking.
                Do the exact same thing yourself, or at least a male friend with the same marking techniques, basically a urine ring, paying particular attention to any obvious animal trails.

My biggest issue was large male Kangaroos(6'+), not with eating, but trampling plots ... roos dont even notice fencing, they go straight thru them. Breeding season overlaps growing season too ... bloody dangerous creatures that will literally gut you if confronted when in rut ... however once marking is done any animal pests avoid the area and will find a completely different thoroughfare to travel.

Evolution is the solution 😎

Comment

I must be very lucky Ive been doing Gorrila grows for 4 years and other than an occasional branch being broken nothing has toughed the girls. I do put my plant in a 5 gal. hole in the ground. I grow in small clearings near water. You can also go to a haircut place and collect hair and spread that around your plantsor urinate in area of plants both will keep wild animals away but just being in area alot will leave human sent all over
                  new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                  current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I just picked up some Blood Meal and found out that animals do not like the smell of it so they stay away. You might want to try it.

Comment

• desertdan
                      desertdan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Blood meal will attract skunks,foxes, coyotes,and rats they will dig to get at the Blood meal. They love it.

I use hardware cloth with my seedlings and small plants because sometimes they get eaten by lizards looking for water. Later I use 4" field fence around pots. The deer don't seem to bother it once in full flower.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X