No announcement yet.

First Grow Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually they heal just fine from things like a small tear in the skin, especially if you wrap it up!

Comment

Awesome. Just what I needed to hear. Thanks guys!

Comment

Week 5

That's right... we made it to week 5 guys and gals. Yesterday Cici was topped for the second time, giving her 4 mains. She also had LST done to these (without incident this time). We might let these 4 grow out before our next top. I want Aurora to try and finish out before we send Cici into flower, but that might be pushing it. I'm worried 10 weeks of veg might too much for the height of our tent. At the same time I don't want to mess the light schedule up for Aurora while mid flower. This could impact bud development.

Aurora is doing great. Other than the preflower hairs, there still isn't any actual flowers, but she's getting there. I think growth has slowed down. Long good-looking branches. Her smell is getting so good that might have to seriously consider getting a new filter. Ours is a cheap IPower filter, probably the cheapest on the market and it's not doing its job. The fan exhaust smells like Aurora lol.

Cici's feeding stayed at the "Veg stage 1" and Aurora was backed down to "Seedling" level due to her possible Nitrogen toxicity last week. Other than that everything seems to be moving forward!

Comment

Mid week update...

Although Aurora is past the biggest part of her growth spurt, she is still pushing up slowly. I've learned an important lesson from this first grow, so first timers pay attention: if you choose an HID hood for your grow, your tent MUST be taller than 5 feet tall! My 5 ft tent just isn't enough for my setup. It wouldn't pose as much of a problem if I had a light system that didn't take up as much space, such as LED. I do like my hood though, so instead of changing lights I'm investing in a taller tent. Probably before I flip the switch for Cici.

Just look how tall she is compared to Cici, and Aurora is the short one! When Cici starts her flower cycle I wouldn't be surprised if she gets taller than her sister.

Comment

• Wattze
            Wattze commented
            Editing a comment
            This is EXACTLY where I'm at with my setup. I love my HID to much to get rid of it altogether.. time for a bigger space! Lol rooting for you pankace, they look great!

• Pankace
            Pankace commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Wattze! I've been watching your setup too!

• Wattze
            Wattze commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh thank you!! I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes 😅 You and I are very similar in setup though, I'm sticking close to you lol

Midweek update #2

Aurora drank up 2 gallons of water this week. I added to the reservoir along with 1/4 strength (per the 2 gallons) flower nutes instead of more veg nutes. Her tiny flowers are starting to really show and this should help her transition well. The next res change will have only flower nutes opposed to the mix she has in her res now. I also removed two small branches at the very bottom that were receiving little light.

Cici didn't get another top yet. We are letting her grow her tops out so we can train them to stay low until she gets her final top.

Comment

Week 6

Aurora should be about halfway through. Gave her bloom nutes for her res change today. Cici had more training done and fan leaves removed. Still waiting for the 4 mains to get longer before we give her the final cut to 8 tops. The difference between them makes me laugh. Hehe.

Edited to say I just finished training Aurora's main cola by pulling g it down a little and to the side. It isn't as close to the light and at the same height as the other upper branches.
            Last edited by Pankace; 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Midweek update. ..

I finally decided to tie Aurora's branches away from the light. It bought the branches a couple inches. I'm worried about some of the leaves though. I took a pic. Most of them are near the light, so I'm guessing it has to do with the heat or light, but correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that trichomes are making themselves apparent as well as a wee bit of purple in the sugar leaves.

I will not let a plant go untrained again lol

Comment

After some quick research, I've come to the conclusion that the spots on the leaves are from calcium deficiency. Should I up the calmag dose again?

Comment

PH is good? is it drifting at all?

If you're still running 1/4 strength nutes, maybe you should up it... what's your reservoir ppm?

Comment

• Royal Nugs
                    Royal Nugs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If your ph has a tendency to slowly increase or decrease.

• Pankace
                    Pankace commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotcha. On res change I get it to 5.5. By the end of the week it makes its way to 6.5. I haven't had to really adjust it outside of that.

• Royal Nugs
                    Royal Nugs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Should be ok. You seem to know her pretty well, up the cal mag and see what happens, I suppose.

Week 7

For Cici I cut some more fan leaves off and trained the new growth to stay low. Other than that she is happy and can't wait for her final top.

Aurora had extra Cal-Mag added to her reservoir. She can't seem to get enough. I also added Canna Boost to support bud development. There are a ton of flowers, but they seem to be stalled. It may be my imagination though. Other than a few hairs on the top buds turning dark, they seem okay I think. Second opinions encouraged

Comment

• Jibblerjoe
                    Jibblerjoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grow on folks.

They look good! My only advice with the flowering plants is to consider removing some of the biggest fan leaves (hand size and bigger), and possibly tucking some others, just to try to expose all the bud sites to direct light. Some growers will also defoliate the bottom 20% of the plant (especially if leaves are in full shadow) since it won't make significant buds down there, but will steal energy from the buds at the top. The buds that grow the biggest are the ones at the top of the plant that get plenty of airflow and direct light, so you want to try to get the plant to focus on those if possible Is the 600W HPS still at half power? If so I would definitely turn it to full blast if at all possible! The amount of bud is directly related to how much light the plant gets, but I know how tough it can be to control heat!

I'd say that overall everything looks like it's developing very nicely! Every plant is vibrant and healthy!

Comment

• Pankace
                    Pankace commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The ballast is at 75% and one reason it isn't all the way up is I'm worried about light burn, and also I was going to turn it to 100% when Cici goes to flower mode. Think I should?

We had our first major grow crisis this morning. Pankace went to check on the girls and there was about a foot of standing water in the bottom of our tent. Cici's air hose had come unplugged from the pump and her water had siphoned up through the hose. I ended up getting shocked when I picked up the detached pump. Pankace got shocked when he touched the water too. We decided not to risk using wet pumps. We unplugged everything, took out the pumps, made an emergency trip to the store to get new stuff, used every towel in our house to sop up the 4 gallons of water in the tent, and got everything put back together. And we managed to do it without any yelling, despite how mad we both were about the situation. Hopefully Cici's roots weren't dry for too long. Mama is nervous.

Comment

OMG so sorry you guys! you're lucky you didn't get hurt!

I thought you knew about these cheap little things that would make what happen NOT

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Aquari.../dp/B00KFV8EIO

I have them on each line.....I have fish tanks so I know about what happened.

PLEASE GET THEM!!!

Hi Azlyn :-)
                    Bubblehead
                    4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
                    4 Cures and a Life time gardener
                    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
                    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

Thanks Karlee! We are definitely lucky there wasn't worse damage than a few sore fingers from a few volts. Aurora's has come unplugged before, but her airstone is cylindrical instead of a disk so it didn't cause the siphon. We definitely learned a valuable first-time lesson today And I'm thankful that my house didn't burn down.

Comment

Wow, it sounds like you two worked together and worked fast to save your plant! Leaks are the absolute worst! I'm sure it's not how you thought you were going to spend the day, I know I've been surprised by unexpected emergencies before!

I'm glad you two are safe! Please consider purchasing a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter). A GFCI power strip stops power from flowing to the plug in the event of current-leakage (current-leakage is what happens when people are being electrocuted!). You can also get outlets with GFCIs built-in for those who have experience in changing outlets. But in the end, all is well that ends well! It sounds like you two reacted so fast your plant will be okay

As far as putting the grow light on full blast, you definitely don't want to burn your plants, and 75% of a 1000W (which equals 750W) can yield an impressive amount of bud (and uses 25% less electricity!). I'd only put it to 100% if you can fully control the heat and keep it at least 20 inches from the top of your plants

Azlyn, I haven't met you yet; welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X