Off-gassing oxygen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-gassing oxygen

I was looking at my jug of water I let sit to off-gas chlorine. That's the habit, anyway. After several google sessions, I am still unsure if my local water people use chlorine or chloramine.
    Then I got to wondering about oxygen off-gassing. Is it happening when the water sits? 4 gallons of water in a 5-gallon bottle, unopened, room temperature, dark room.
    I used to air stone my water to both add DO and get rid of chlorine that may or may not be there. Laziness kicked in and I forewent the stone.
    S'pose it's a good idea or neutral to air stone just before watering?
    Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

It off gasses O² if it is at the saturation point and the temperature of the water drops.

The lower the temp of the water the lower the ability to dissolve O²
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I know I'm high, but... what?
      Less happens in cold water. More happens in hot water. Got it.
      Does oxygen off gas in still, room temperature water like chlorine? Not boiled water. Not ice.

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      No. The dissolved O² in the water stays there if it is below the saturation point & will provide O² to the roots.

Just as importantly it also provides CO²

Don't know if it helps but it can't hurt.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      If I knew the water was losing O²...

Just use a straw to blow bubbles until you pass out. Then water. If you're lucky, enough time will have passed to evap the shite out of it.
    Damn I'm stoned haha.

Comment

Okay Bluey . I understand saturation point. That kind of adds to my question. If chlorine off gasses, does that mean it has reached its saturation point? Saturation point means something has as much as it can handle. Is it just a matter of releasing enough to not be at the tipping point of needing to off gas? Wouldn't that mean there is still chlorine in the water?
      Go back and replace 'chlorine' with 'oxygen.' Works both ways.
      The answer to my question apparently, is no. My water is not going to off gas DO while it sits in a bottle. I am Sunday high enough to expound on my original question to see what else might relate to, like chlorine.
      Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Chlorine is not O².

Chlorine does not exist in the atmosphere like 0² does, O² makes up about 20% of the air we breath at AMSL. If it did, we would be dead.

Chlorine and O² are both gasses but do not share the same properties. Does Chlorine dissolve in water? The hotter the water the faster it off gasses Chlorine but the reverse is true for O².

That's about as much as I can remember from my pool cleaning days....boobs.

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        Different properties, yes. But they can still have similar off gassing properties.

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        But they don't. Hang on. I got that ass about. The lower the temp the more dissolved O² water can hold. Same with Cl².

One main reason being, as I pointed out before, off gassing occurs to reach equilibrium.

There is almost zero Cl² gas in the atmosphere but heaps of O² so obviously the water will hold more O² and no Cl².

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X