Sick plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick plant

I have several of these that look pretty much alike.
    They were over watered early on, then possibly too much or too little light. I know these are no good but I need to know what to do next time.
    these were grown inside, in the peat containers. I started the seeds to seedlings on a heat mat, then moved to a small ferry morse light (white fluorescent) then moved to a foot square led light. I am trying to keep the light the correct distance. I think the light was too close early in this plant’s life, as well as overwatering. But please give me your best diagnosis. Thank you.
    Last edited by Brwnthmb; 09-03-2024, 03:20 PM.

Its a little leggy cause it's chasing the light. Move it closer. Looks like a case of overwatering and should have been moved to a bigger container, and it might need some food if there isn't any in the grow medium. Not too late to save it. Give more grow details, environment, temps, RH, nutrients, feeding schedule, grow medium, lights, distance to canopy, etc.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
    Autopot system
    : 1 Purple Haze/Malawa 100% Sativa Ace Seeds 1 Strawberry Cough ILGM
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 2 Purple Haze/Malawi & 2 Malawi 100% Sativa Ace seeds
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

When/if you transplant it, plant it much deeper, and loose the PP

Comment

Your Ferry Morse light is no more than a t5 fluorescent bulb. Fluorescents (t5's and CFL's) usually stay 3"-4" from your plant.
        If you were using a t5 for veg, what brand and model is your LED?
        Are your plants autos, feminized, or photoperiod? If auto, you can save them with what those other folks are talking about and decent lighting and look for a couple bowls. If feminized or photoperiod, you can grow them out to real fine bushes. It'll take some work but it can be done.
        αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
          When/if you transplant it, plant it much deeper, and loose the PP
          Are you suggesting that I can bury the stem below the surface of the soil and just leave 2-3 inches of stem above the surface, and roots will sprout from the stem that is buried?

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes even all the way to the first leaves/limbs.

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
          Its a little leggy cause it's chasing the light. Move it closer. Looks like a case of overwatering and should have been moved to a bigger container, and it might need some food if there isn't any in the grow medium. Not too late to save it. Give more grow details, environment, temps, RH, nutrients, feeding schedule, grow medium, lights, distance to canopy, etc.
          I can’t give you numbers but the generalities are that the seedlings start in the bathroom and then are moved to a closet. Both are air conditioned so low rh and temp about 72F. Also I have a fan blowing over the tops of the plants in the closet. I water when the surface is dry. I don’t provide additional nutrients. I bottom water- when the surface dries out, and leave the pots in the standing water for about 5 minutes (until the surface is wet again). (The problem plants I feel sure were watered way longer than this.)
          The plants were too close to the light on the problem plants (I feel sure) with light burn. Now I put the plants 5-6 inches away. (I had read a website that said 2 inches was ok) the square led lights are at 24 inches (now).
          I do have a few plants in an 8 inch diameter clay pot and the peat cup is buried in potting soil.
          Last edited by Brwnthmb; 09-03-2024, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• golfnrl
            golfnrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, bury the plant like was suggested. Won't be a problem. Unless you're growing in a living soil you will need to add some nutrients or your plants will die. I suppose bottom watering is OK but watering from the top is better IMHO. You want a little run off, but as long as the soil is not saturated you should be OK. I use peat pots, they're easy to use. You will need to cut out the bottom of the peat pot when you transplant. Or simply remove the plant from the pot. I've done it both ways. I prefer cutting away the pot when transplanting. Transplant your seedling when the serrated leaves reach the side of the container. You should be able to see roots at the drain holes in your pot. Follow your light manufacturer's recommendations for how high and how intense to set your light. 2" or 5-6" is too close. Not uncommon for an LED to be 20-24" from the canopy.

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
          Your Ferry Morse light is no more than a t5 fluorescent bulb. Fluorescents (t5's and CFL's) usually stay 3"-4" from your plant.
          If you were using a t5 for veg, what brand and model is your LED?
          Are your plants autos, feminized, or photoperiod? If auto, you can save them with what those other folks are talking about and decent lighting and look for a couple bowls. If feminized or photoperiod, you can grow them out to real fine bushes. It'll take some work but it can be done.
          my led is a spider farmer sf1000. I was trying to use the t5
          for seedlings, led for vegetation. (Or just the t5 for the small plants)
          The plants are feminized.
          I don’t think it matters too much but at exactly what point does a plant go from seedling to vegetation? Is it when the plant makes a fully formed palm shaped leaf or just when the plant makes its first leaves with a serrated edge?
          Last edited by Brwnthmb; 09-03-2024, 09:18 PM.

Comment

There are actually different 'guidelines' you can find on the internet about seedling to veg after so many leaves. Except for nutrients, there isn't a lot of difference in how you grow them.
            If you work your SF right, you can bring your little plant into a producer. It'll take time but you can do it. Depends on where you want to go from here.
            So... where do you want to go from here?
            If you want to respond to someone, you can write their handle with the @ and it will get their attention. Way easier Brwnthmb.
            αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

I think your main problem from the start is the peat pots. They are almost impossible to water correctly. In your pic the bottom is soggy but the sides are still dry(roots dont like to stay soggy without air). And they dry out very fast. Even if you do get them to grow the peat pot doesn't deteriorate or break down in soil so the roots stay bound in that pot...you have to shred the bottom of the pot before you transplant it. Next, the heat mat..does it have a temperature control? If not, its probably too hot, i have one without temp control so i use a 1/4 inch piece of foam between the mat and plants. Not sure about your lights but the stretch would indicate the lights are too far away or too weak.
              Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
              Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
              6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
              Canna Coco/perlite
              General Hydroponics Flora Series
              Cal/Mag.

outdoor
              Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
              Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Another negative on the peat pots, the PH of peat is ~3.4 so they are very acidic.
                I also agree bottom watering is not ideal, and the heat mat without controls is hard to use, mine killed the seeds

Are these autos or photos?
              If autos how old are they?

Comment

They are photos (flowering determined by the duration of light they receive).

Comment

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is their current light cycle?

I'd go coco medium next time with a good ph-ec meter like an Apera PC60. Don't forget the calibration and storage fluid
                Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
                Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
                Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
                Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
                Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
                Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
                Last Grow: A mix

Comment

They are photos (flowering determined by the duration of light they receive).

Comment

They are photos; flowers when light is less than 12 hours.
                    and answering your other question; the current light cycle is 16 hours on, 8 hours of darkness.
                    for whatever reason I couldn’t answer your post that asked for the light schedule. There was not an option for quote or reply, only flag. (These were the options to choose from when I pressed the 3 dots in the bottom right of your message.)

Comment

• Rwise
                      Rwise commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use a PC with firefox, and add this by clicking "Comment", to reply to the comment click the "Comment" above this comment.
                      Many photos will flower at 14/10s, My outdoor girls have been flowering for a while now, and I have some do this every year.
                      16/8 is good for now, with photos you can fix the issue/s and then flower them.

Here is one of this years plants, my sunlight is 12 hours 48 minutes today and less tomorrow. Its called Berryfreak, Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2556.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	630443

Comment

• Brwnthmb
                      Brwnthmb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Impressive!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X