Freeze dry vs. Flash freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze dry vs. Flash freeze

When live rosin and resin are made, whole, live plants are flash frozen. Or, at least, frozen super fast.
    Disregarding the necessity to do so, overkill and all that, would freeze drying be bad for trichomes?
    αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

I have stored weed in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer for over a year with no issues. Its kind of nice to freeze them in 1 zip bags and break them out as needed. They hold the color for the full year where they dont in jars usually

Comment

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Lowering the temps will reduce the rate of oxidisation. So will vacuum sealing them. Combining both is best for long term.

Edit. If you have a well sealed basement you can keep them in jars fir no problem over 2 years, probably much longer.

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a bunch of autoflower buds in jars in a closet in my basement for a a good 2 years and then I used dry ice to extract the kief

Umm... is freeze drying bad for trichomes? It has nothing to do with storage.
    αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know the difference between the two.

Food gets freeze dried. It sucks out all the moisture. The process is more about drying something than freezing it. Flash freezing is just freezing real fast.
    Flash freezing fresh weed is about keeping terpenes full of terpeney goodness. Trichomes are kiefed and made into whatever product you want. But flash freezing locks in moisture.
    Maybe the question is about drying trichomes too much or too fast in a freeze drier? No problems flash freezing. What about freeze drying?
    αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Good question, I hope there is an answer to be found.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X