Organic grow questions for a nubie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic grow questions for a nubie

Hello all. I've decided I needed to ask for help before problems arise. I have a couple organics and 2 regular grows.
    3x 15 gallon pots with 3lbs natures living in the lower 1/3rd mixed with cocoloco.
    3x 5 gallon with cali hotsoil on the bottom and cocoloco on top per manufacturer spec
    2x 5 gallon with all cocoloco.

I have some roots organic terp tea grow and bloom (bloom saved for later) in my cart on Amazon ready for purchase. I already have dyna-gro grow on hand (bloom saved for later). First question is on top dressing the organics. They can both be fertilized with the terp tea, but when is the appropriate time to add grow dressing? As needed or is there a good average point to fertilize an organic grow? Ummmmm...im pretty baked but I know there is more I want to ask...

Let's see, I'm in a 5x5x7 tent with 1x 6" intake, 1x 8" exhaust fans, 4x circulation fans and a 750w led. Aci controller. Grand daddy purple is the strain. The tall lady in the pic caused me to lower my light to probably down to 25-30in up on 25%. Running 24 until the new seedling pop up then when I have all 8 showing i was going to switch to 18/6 for the veg.

I attempted to germinate all my seeds in the big pots and was not successful in the 15 gallons. I let them dry out too much. The 5 gallon pots were almost all successful. I have 4 more seeds that were popped in a glass and placed in the small cups on top of their next spot. I did this last night.

For some back story and just because I feel its important to share for the purpose of helping aim any perspective advice that this will be my one and done with potting based medium grows. I started to build my grow environment with the intention of growing hydro. My reason?? Im a skilled in the arts of maintaining rdwc type systems that are automated and very big. I have installed a few chemical sense and dispense systems and do all the programming and maintenance. Im a mighty fine plumber. I can balance a system with several parameters to monitor. So if I can do all this why tf am I NOT already doing this? So I'm building. Started with creating the ideal environment for the weed (which is a new aspect of this to me) and that turned out be be a bit more demanding than I had originally thought. I had to buy a bunch of stuff. Got that stuff all assembled and put into place and stood back and realized I can grow in this. Im still in the process of aquiring hydro parts and that is going to take probably another 2-3 months of saving and buying and building so why tf not put my last 2 months of work to use? So I start looking up how to grow in soil. After nearly 2 years of hobby reading to prepare the most awesome hydros for a tent and sifting through different designs I had to cram in a quickie on soil grow. This leads me to this site. So I just jump right in following nebulas suggestions. Now im full of apprehension and a poo stink in my tent. I had a limited amount of funds to play with for my potting grow so I got as big a variety of stuff as I could do. I figured if I went with the same strain then the mediums being different wouldn't matter? Lol. If I can turn out some weed as im learning I will be satisfied. Practice training will be cool. But I need to get there first.

" have some roots organic terp tea grow and bloom (bloom saved for later) in my cart on Amazon ready for purchase. I already have dyna-gro grow on hand (bloom saved for later). First question is on top dressing the organics. They can both be fertilized with the terp tea, but when is the appropriate time to add grow dressing? As needed or is there a good average point to fertilize an organic grow? Ummmmm...im pretty baked but I know there is more I want to ask..."

I use Terp Tea Bloom. I don't top dress though. I mix with water and apply. I use 1/2 tablespoon per gallon every other watering after flip. Up until flip I just let them use the nutes in the soil, no other added nutrients or supplemental feeding. I'll do that until its about a 3 weeks before I think they will finish then switch to plain water. Been working for me.

Comment

Primo advice! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Azreefer View Post
        Primo advice! Thank you!
        NP...

Comment

I'm very pleased with the Ribbon Organics OMRI compost I purchased this year to augment last years soil. I also mix in bio-char, kelp powder, worm castings, dried minnows, and powdered oyster shell. I feed the soil by periodically watering with molasses tea and letting it develop for a month or two before planting. Typically I don't need to do any nutrients until late bud when I will feed with banana avocado tea. The primary reason I love living soil is that the microbes and bacteria do a great job of keeping PH balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by crucialbunny View Post
            I'm very pleased with the Ribbon Organics OMRI compost I purchased this year to augment last years soil. I also mix in bio-char, kelp powder, worm castings, dried minnows, and powdered oyster shell. I feed the soil by periodically watering with molasses tea and letting it develop for a month or two before planting. Typically I don't need to do any nutrients until late bud when I will feed with banana avocado tea. The primary reason I love living soil is that the microbes and bacteria do a great job of keeping PH balanced.
            That is a serious routine. I bet your bud is dank!

Comment

I saw humidifier in your pic. You know? I live in a very dry part of the world. Relative humidity is about 30% at 25 C in our home and 20% at 30 C in the grow tent. Although it reaches 40% when i have at least 0.5 m2 of very fast growing plants that transpire 6-7 litres of water a day but RH never goes higher than 40% here. But guess what! It still doesn't need humidifier to grow plants in such a harsh environment. Just a lower EC nutrient solution plus a bit more potassium and plants grow like they are growing in the so called optimal environment. With a support of hydrogen peroxide and a piece of plastic my clones rooted in 4 days.

I'm not going to tell you to turn it off but i want you to know you can grow, even better, without it.

Comment

I read thst it was not necessary but can help maintain tight bud formations. I dunno. First grow. But temps here are crazy high. 40c is an easy day this time of year. Rh is usually 10% but in monsoon season can be 30-50% for a few days. I keeps it warm in my house because it cost a ton to stay cool when your ac NEVER shuts off. So my tent is a struggle to get the hunidity to 40%. So if i have to use a humidfier just to hit the min level i might as well keep it at 60%, yeah?

Comment

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try that temp and 97% RH, feels like 115*F today, so here I am with a cold drink my pipe and the AC. I did get rid of the central AC as the bill was $400 a month (and did not keep up), the 3 window units got it down to $120 a month and it was cooler inside.

No central ac here is almost suicide. Otherwise its a shed. I mean apartments or trailers could make it. Not a house. Not in the phoenix valley. At least not a house occupied by elderly and children and my weed plants. Lol. Central ac is an absolute must for me! But just not too low.

Ive lived in the sticky northen central us. Ive hung out in swamps. Ive felt the "feels like" heat index. None of its comfortable. All of it is hot. The humid areas it really is a different heat. It has cool breezes even on the hottest of days. You step in the shade and feel a breeze and its a great cooling effect. You will still drip and sweat as you cool but its still cooling. The night lows are cool enough to open a window in july. In the desert air its not as forgiving. You overheat too bad in the dry heat and your crisped. Heat stroke hits faster and less forgiving. I did outside work in the summer in nebraska with 98% rh and 105. Its not very comfy. The dry heat is better imo. Its brutal in its own way but the lack of humidity is great! So is the lack of pretty much any bad weather. Ill happily bake in a dry heat to never again see a blizard or tornado or extended down pour or icy road conditions.

Comment

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You did not understand what I said, I said I replaced the central air with more efficient window units (reducing the electric bill by $300 a month), they dont need to cool ducts before the home gets cooled. So I spend less money to keep the home cooler on these hot days. 101*F here today with feels like at 112*F, yep I am inside with a cold drink and me pipe!

I got you that time. Lol. Samsonite! I was way off. Im just sitting down with the dabber to start the evening.

Comment

Im making good.progress here. Im going to top everyting to 3 next week. I want the ones in the back at 4 nodes. The ladies in the front will be at 6 node when i top them.

Comment

Azreefer

Today it was 112° where I'm at. Forecast for the next few days is 114°, 114°, 111°.

My buddy that lives in your area is a cookie maker so he'll send me pictures of cookie sheets he leaves in his car on the dashboard with cookie dough on them! Said it takes around an hour for the cookies to be done.

Comment

110 today i think.

Comment

Surface temp of the parkinglot black top at work the other day.

Comment

119° a few hours ago. It's 6:57pm and 113°.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X