Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny bugs on my soil.

Good morning,
    I just started my 2nd Grow (first turned out fantastic). My new plant is Gorilla glue #4. Using fox farm ocean forest with grow dots and recharge in a 2x2 tent. I’m less than 3 weeks into veg and the plant looks great. However, I just noticed some super tiny bugs on the soil. They are so small you can’t see them unless they move.
    please tell me how to get rid of those bugs without hurting my plant.

Well, without a pic, I can only assume they are fungus knats Get yellow flypaper sticky squares on Amazon. A small square will clear them up pronto.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Sounds like fungus gnats. Just noticed a few on my grow yesterday, about 3 of them.
      The main cause is overwatering which saturates the top of your medium creating an ideal environment for them. If you let the top of your medium dry out that will reduce their numbers and possibly wipe them out all together.

They wont harm established plants but they will accidentally eat the roots of your plant in the top inch or two of the medium.​​​
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

Thanks, I’ll get the sticky squares and let it dry out a little. Those bugs are so small I don’t think I have a camera that could take a photo of them. Maybe with the jeweler’s loop but…

Comment

As has been mentioned, more than likely you have fungus gnats that, as has been mentioned, tend to crop up when either your soil doesn't dry back fast enough or you are watering too frequently leaving the media wet enough for them to get a foothold. Sticky traps have been mentioned and that is an excellent idea but those will only catch the mature gnats, You want to get them at the source which is in the soil so my suggestion is to do a soil drench with some Mosquito Bits to kill whatever larvae and eggs are in the soil. You'll probably need to do a few applications but the first one should get rid of most of them.

Comment

Has that plant been recently transplanted? If so, it doesn't look like it's been in your pot long enough for a good watering. If you still have any, look at left-over soil for the same bugs.
            Check the plants before you spend time doing anything for treatment. Get a loupe or extreme close-up of the undersides of leaves. Be pretty thorough.
            Fungus gnats are not so small as to not be seen unless moving. Also, they are always moving. Also, they would be flying, as they are gnats.
            First, quickest, and best thing is to put yourself some fans across the top of your soil.
            Page 2, post 28 is my testimonial to the efficacy of fans for bugs. Get past the silliness. The gist of the story is I stopped aphids with a couple fans. Norwegian death bugs, whatever.

Driving Miss Bessie - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum​​
            WWED?

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X