Old Timer Trying New Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Timer Trying New Methods

Well this old guy (87+) is trying things he has never tried before with our beloved sisters. Forty years ago we just gathered some seed and clean dirt put them in it and watered and waited to see them emerge Now days it has become a science with a hell of a lot more resources available, home growing has exploded and the resource market has too. So I decided to try training some plants by FIMMING, I think Topping might be better however I grow mostly autos so I decided to try the Fim method for less stress. I clipped three yesterday and will clip three more in a couple days, this really scares me a bit but I know it will not kill them but it may stunt them which of course will give much less harvest. I followed the instructions from this GWE sight and hope it will all work out. I grow in cabinets and have had very good luck so far with harvest and potency , however four colas on one plant is so much more productive than one main cola I decided to try something different to me. I know some of you folks are bound to use Fimming what results have you had with this method? I would appreciate your input here. Many thanks.

I have essentially stopped doing FIM. I found it to be a real hit or mostly miss technique. All I do now is top my plants.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      I have FIM'd a FIM a few times, topping is always successful

I've only grown autos once so not much help but I think the key is to get in early for the cut and ensure they are 100% healthy when you chop them.

I didn't cut mine but I accidentally stressed them and one ended up topping itself at the first node, a bit like a chemical castration. It produced over double the bud count of the others but bud size was half the size.

I did find that the early stress made them more susceptible to problems down the track re nute issues, probably because of a smaller root mass and made for a more difficult grow and lower yields so I'd say keeping them 100% early on should be the aim over any chopping for best yields.

Just remember that you don't have time to correct any issues nor can you delay the flip to allow for veg development to get the big colas.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

I'm not a fan of topping autos. Too much risk and 0 reward. Try lst if you want maximum yield out of an auto. I only top autos when I am intentionally trying to keep them small such as a seed run.
      And don't transplant them either.
      keeping it green with the soil thing
      love me some frosty autos
      braap
      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Having grown autos once in my life I can vouch for the above approach

The few times I have grown autos I threw caution to the wind and grew them the same as I do photoperiods. I topped at about 4 weeks and that seemed to push out the flowering for a couple more weeks and I kept them grow nutes until week 8. The pictures are from my first grow in RDWC, they took over the room
      Attached Files

Comment

• Allenpro
        Allenpro commented
        Editing a comment
        I will add experiment at your own risk

I'm going to be running two 2 x 2's with different autos in them. I'm going to try and ScrOG them. Any opinions?

Comment

• Allenpro
        Allenpro commented
        Editing a comment
        Go for it

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Do it, it will be a very good adventure.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X