Thoughts or Facts on Cross Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts or Facts on Cross Breeding

I like to cross strains from time to time and normally I use regular seeds to make a cross and colloidal silver to make females of a strain I want more of. In the past I have always been told that if I use female pollen (CS) the seeds will of course will be female but the genetics dont actually cross. I have also heard that a cross of male pollen with a feminized plant isnt really a true cross either just in case the weed breeders police are watching. I ask because I have feminized tester seeds that have excellent qualities but the buds are kind of small so I would like to take one to the next level and get some bigger buds. What are you thoughts or do you have some scientific evidence to say one way or the other

I've never used hermied pollen to breed, as I toss hermies and never delibrately stressed a plant to hermie, and only crossed a couple of times as an experiment.

I tend not to get hermied plants and have only ever had a rare seed or two appear at random in my last half a dozen grows, 3 of which were outdoors.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy to say in the last 10 years of growing & breeding I have only had one hermi and it was a Northern Lights fem from a breeder that is known for hermi's. And I stress the hell out of them. Scwhazzing is one of my favorite ways to stress them, strip them nearly naked before the flip and again 3 weeks after the first sign of flower. I think they get embarrassed lol

crosses are crosses no mater what the parents were their offspring are crosses. I like to use a real male for breeding a new strain, and fems (with CS) to make hybrids I dont plan on keeping around. less chance of hermies that way.

Comment

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I think, its kind of a crap shoot unless you want to invest years in a strain. I have never tried to cross any with CS pollen, but I have heard its not a cross. Bro science I am thinking, I only use CS to make fem seeds from the same plant. I will use a real male to make the cross for this one, That will leave me one seed CS if I want more. The reality is its a Tester Strain so chances of getting the same phjeno from another seed is probably a pipe dream, Pun intended

I appreciate you posting all of this. I really want to try a breeding project in the future.
    SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 X4
    AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
    AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
    FFOF Soil
    FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
    GH Flora Series
    3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
    Gelato Cake
    Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

Any cross breeding I've done has been on accident. I had a few fem strains in a tent and one of them turned out to not be a fem and pollinated the others. I forget what the strains were but I didn't notice any real improvement after I grew the seeds.

Comment

• Allenpro
        Allenpro commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been trying crosses for a few years and with regular seeds I see a difference,, every thing I cross with an Unknown Kush male seems to pick up Kush traits and that seems to be a good thing but I have yet to grow an unknown kush fem out

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X