Ratty looking early buds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Ratty looking early buds

These are buds on two auto plants and not just the top ones..looking a tad shagged out. Pic taken 8 hrs after lights on and I've watered it a few times until I got a bit of runoff. They were looking the same at lights on prior to watering. I raised the light, was 45 DLI now low 40's.

Any ideas what's going on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240313_024245.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	616831 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240313_024300.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	616830 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240313_024254.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	616829 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240313_024315.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	616828

Temps 78 to 80⁰F day and 73/74 night. RH 55 to 65% Nutes 80% bloom 20% Veg EC 1.7

I might have to bring down RH. Not sure.

Thanks
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

I think it was too low RH. I was slack calibrating the automated hygrometers 🤞
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I was going to suggest the VPD is a little off based on what you said. I've had that problem before and it seems to be going away after an adjustment.

Comment

I would consider light and wind stress. Maybe pH issues.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done a double check on light and it's reading 41/43 DLI across the 4 autos after lifting the main one over them 2" a bit earlier. I've been mucking around with the fan angle and plants are not getting wacked , moving around a bit as they should be. New leaves on the budlets lower down and out of the strong light and strongest breeze showing the same symptoms...just did a close check for pests...all seems good re above.

I think the pH is really good but I have a new probe on backorder now for a few weeks. I've been careful with that calibrating a few times and it appears pretty good. Leaves are good color, no sign of deficiency, minorest burn on maybe a dozen finger tips on 5 plants which I think is pretty good.

I think it's the VPD..humidity is swinging a lot. The humidifier is struggling to keep up with the AC and I only stuck the dehumidifier in there 5 hours ago and noticed it swinging now...going as low as 50% but only briefly, probably should be 60/ 65% but hard to hold. I did lower the humidifier last week. I probably shouldn't have.

Mid grow produced the biggest swings last grow and took me ages to tighten it up last grow, it moves so fast.

I'll focus on VPD for the moment.

Comment

In the last pictures it looks like they are beginning to claw a bit so I am leaning towards too much N, why is the challenge, I have read that overwatering will cause canoeing but I grow in hydro so I am not sure about that. Its tough to over water in a water grow, lol

Comment

• Allenpro
            Allenpro commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, I just saw their in Coco Coir so its not over watering.

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Last water 4 plants took about 4 gal to run off so I'm increasing the frequency a bit and reducing the amount. They looked ratty before the water, didn't see a change. It's only effecting the new growth on the buds and it looks like an overwater given their droop but it's not.

I have backed the N right off last few waters, only 20% Veg nutes now and 80% bloom although I am keeping up the calmag which is 1.0.1. New growth has been lighter green throughout the grow and I've just noticed now it no longer is as noticeable thanks to your comment.

I'm dropping all veg from the nutes next water but will keep up the calmag, I can probably reduce it though a little.

Thanks

Getting worse

Name:	20240313_105848.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	616891

So I think I know the problem.

I've had both lights at 100% for even spread, it's been hot outside. I'm trying to keep temps a bit closer to 75⁰F than 80⁰f because of the seedlings so AC is running heaps causing VPD around 1.2/1.3. Too high. The best thing for me to do is let temps back up to 80 and humidity will rise a lot and that will drop VOD a bit but the seedlings won't like that.

So I've rearranged pots and heights, dropped the output of 1 light back to 50% and lowered it a couple of feet. The photoperiod is always happy below.

Name:	20240313_105836.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	616892

Hopefully that gets VPD back down closer to 1. Humidifier running flat out.

Comment

Some of those leaves definitely have wind burn with possible beginnings of nitrogen toxicity. The higher nitrogen could also be what's making the buds look off but still too early to tell. Others look a little heat stressed. VPD this early into flower should be around 1.1 no higher than 1.2 but that's only if they're praying for more.
            Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
            ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
            Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
            MAC1 (Blimburn)
            Tangie o' matic (420 Fast Buds) *autoflower
            Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
            T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
            🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll drop the N right out of it, blow fan at wall high level too. I think they are enough in flower now with no sign of N deficiency to do that. They aren't getting much anyway.

It's possible heat may have briefly gone above 80⁰F but not more than 81⁰F as we have had some very hot days.and not more than once or for longer than like 2 minutes ( I have alarms that trigger above 27⁰C). When we have really hot days I should rework the set points on the automation but I didn't. It's cooled off now though. I honestly didn't think that could be an issue the way I have it setup but you might be right given the couple of 100⁰ days we've had here.

You can see below that the humidity went to the shit but temps are logged as constant. Weird. I am not really sure why. Anyway.

Name:	Screenshot_20240313_145240_Grid Connect.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	616912

Comment

On the mend. Almost there

Name:	20240313_212122.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	616924

Name:	20240313_212107.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	616922 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240313_212118.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	616925

Name:	20240313_212114.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	616923

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                They look happy now. Nice job.

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it was mostly the low RH. From that with Max nutes and Max light it just snowballs and heads south fast.

• Mollisol
                Mollisol commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you figured it out

Looking good now, great job, when I have leaf problems its usually so bad they dont recover lol. So was the humidity too high at times before when they were curling? I ask because I have a recent grow going and the plant looked like hell but the sap PH was right where it should be so I finally checked the RH and it was 15%. I bumped that up to 50% and its looking much better. I have been growing for several years and that was a first, low RH is not a common problem for me.

Comment

The RH went too low that pushed up VPD to high.

Now I have the first signs, again, of a Mag deficiency in 2 autos.

Last feed was bloom nutes to EC 1.4 (maybe a fraction low) and calmag to EC 1.6, pH 6.05 (should be ok but I'll lift it a bit now) and droopy again but at end of lights on.

I may have to reduce the lighting back to 40DLI as they seem to be too close to the edge of what they like.

Comment

Grow thread here

Name:	20240314_193743.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	617054 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240314_193738.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	617052 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240314_193730.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	617051 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240314_194500.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	617055 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240314_194419.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	617050 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240314_194433.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	617049 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240314_194440.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	617053 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-to-hollywood

Attached Files

Comment

• Allenpro
                    Allenpro commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Funny how finnicky they are for a weed, LOL

Glad you figured it out. They def look much happier besides that baby mutant lol
                  Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
                  ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
                  Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
                  MAC1 (Blimburn)
                  Tangie o' matic (420 Fast Buds) *autoflower
                  Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
                  T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
                  🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

Comment

• Bluey
                    Bluey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That was only 1 of 10 that popped after two weeks or so on papertowel. I suspect one of my very old sativa seeds. Let's see what happens

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X