Transplanting from 20ltr pot to 50ltr pot coco/perlite medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Transplanting from 20ltr pot to 50ltr pot coco/perlite medium

I've got an indoors photoperiod under lights at about week 5 veg that has more than filled out a 20ltr pot with roots. It's in a black plastic pot.

I want to veg it another 8 weeks or so and want to max yields. I can go to 50ltrs as I have those spare or go buy a 65 or 80ltr pot?

Has anyone done this before and any tips? Is it likely to fall to pieces and possibly kill the plant?
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

I veg indoors and then flower outdoors. I use 28ltr (7gal) pots and the plants get to 7 ft tall (2m) and some strains fan out around 4 feet wide. But if you have the space and want to veg 8 more weeks and then 9 weeks flowering I think a the biggest pot you can get the better. It will also help with the center of gravity and reduce the need to water several times a day

Comment

I have never transplanted anything that large but I would think as long as the roots fill the pot and its fairly moist it should hold together long enough. Maybe get a friend to hold the 20ltr pot just above the new hole so you can slide the rootball out and into it's new home in one motion. Just a thought. Let us know how it goes. Thinking of doing something similar for my outdoor grow this year.

Comment

Just another way to look at it....
        You use automation for watering, correct? Coco right? You can just increase your watering frequency and keep them in a smaller pot. Remember I veg for a year and then flower in 3 gallon with two daily watering, half hour after lights on and half hour before lights off, 15 minutes water time with whatever amount of runoff.

A little root bound is always best for up-potting if you go that way. Would you like some pictures of a three year old plant that's been living in a 2.7 liter pot its whole life?
        Space for Rent.

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Better then a Hack grower. Give yourself some credit, I do and Iv seen/watch your grows. You do a great job contributing here, he'll we all heck growers.

Topping off is a good idea and this is why I'm a fan of fabric pots, small pot-big plant. If you're going to transplant wait to the roots bind the soil, lay a tarp on the floor and move from one to the other, don't be afraid to disturb your roots a little bit, little root massage is good for them as long as you're not in a hurry and they ain't autos.

You sure I can't interest you in pictures🤣

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          Go for it!

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, plz. I'd love to see that pic. BTW, thx for the tip..."a little root bound is always best for up-potting..." I'll remember that.

I use cloth bags that normally air prune the roots when they grow outside of the bag and through a tip from a friend I learned if the roots will continue to grow if they dont hit air. So if I want to move it to a larger pot or plant them outside in the dirt I just drop them in a hole or larger container and the roots find the way through. No risk of shock, this way

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          This is another reason I use cloth pots, you can bury them but it's a pain in the butt cleaning the roots of them to reuse them so at that point they're disposable.

Hey Bluey we have pictures!

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn. Beat me to it.

• Allenpro
          Allenpro commented
          Editing a comment
          I buy the cheap bag by the dozen & toss them. Its not worth cleaning after as far as I am concerned.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X