H²O² germination & seedling deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR H²O² germination & seedling deaths

EDIT...Just lost another, no H²O² this time. Could be something else.

First time germinating using H²O² 6% w/v solution mixed 1:15 with rainwater to give a 0.5% or 200 to 1 mix, or thereabouts. pH of rainwater somewhere around 6, EC 0.

Numerous seeds were germinated this way and the results were fantastic for germination rate and speed of pooping to reticle, but abysmal results for seedling survival.

I read a few research papers on this technique and concluded this was the way forward for me to germinate my seeds, ie., a higher germination rate especially with older seeds (I have quite a few of these) and a faster germination rate. I also read another regarding a more complex study on the seed itself and how it illicitted different reactions in the seed.

None of the studies were longitudinal and only focused on germination. Growth past this stage was not scope for the studies.

It didn't matter what I did (H²O² on paper towel instead of water, H²O² watered into coco, 8 or 12hours in solution before paper towel, etc.,) the failure rate was huge and seedlings stalled within a few days of sprouting and sign of first true leaf. I had transferred into the coco as usual from paper towel, buried, they popped through the coco as normal 1 to 3 days after transfer, showed good collies then stalled on first true leaf.

I have had really good success rates on germination in the past using the paper towel method, even with old seeds, they tend to take much longer though. I have never had systemic failures of seedlings and cannot remember when my last seedling fell over and died and I've popped 100 or so in the last 5 years.

Reticles tended to be far more twisted, some twisted more than I've seen in the past. I checked all seedlings and only one of 10 had developed roots off of the main reticle or tap root. They failed badly. Pics below of one I just pulled from coco 2 weeks after sprouting.

So my experience with H²O² was not a good one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_064042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	615675 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_064027.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	615676 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_064119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	615677 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_064010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	615678
    Last edited by Bluey; 03-03-2024, 02:08 PM.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

WoW thanks for doing this lesson. This could be so bad an wasteful if the seeds cost $14 apiece now. I'd be pissed.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

For years on this site I've seen a number folks come & go talking about the benefits of using hydrogen peroxide in various ways in their grows. More often than not, ending with detrimental results. The medical field no longer recommends its use for people because of the harsh effects and I would think that should apply to plants as well.

Comment

• Allenpro
        Allenpro commented
        Editing a comment
        It kills to good bacteria so I dont recommend it especially if your grow in hydro
        Last edited by Allenpro; 02-29-2024, 08:13 PM.

Thanks. It really helps us beginners to hear information like this. There is a ton of info out there. I’m glad I found this forum.

Comment

• Allenpro
        Allenpro commented
        Editing a comment
        Approach with caution there is a lot of bro science out there too

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X