Tap roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tap roots

I started two Golden Pineapple seeds in my aquaponics system. Both seeds germinated quickly, but the tap roots grew up tall instead of down, and the seed casings stuck. Both died. I have a Golden Goat plant that I started the same way and she grew fine. Any comments or suggestions?

Don't feel bad.

I think I've killed 5 so far this grow and got three more in coco that appear to have stalled. First time using H²O². Fastest germination ever, even faster death once in coco. Never seen this before so I'm tossing the H²O² and back to just water from now on. Badly twisted taps too...
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

Maybe the seed was upside down when planted!

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Or perhaps H²O² germination?

It seems to produce badly twisted tap roots occasionally

One possible explanation is a damaged or defective root cap. The cells in the root cap have special organelles called statoliths that are small and relatively heavy. The inner cell walls are pressure sensitive so they know where the statolith is resting against the cell wall. Picture a marble inside a water balloon. This is how a root knows up from down. If the cap is damaged the root doesn't know which direction is down until the root cap grows back. There are similar cells in the growing tips so they know which way is up. My source is " Teaming with Nutrients" by Jeff Lowenfels. A great read for anyone interested in the fascinating things going on inside plants.

Comment

I just soak in H2O 24 hours then stick pointy side in soil first and wait a day and she pops Everytime. But I'm a leprechaun!!

Comment

I use a vertical germinator so that the seeds know which way is up.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X