Struggles with seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggles with seeds

Been trying to start up a new grow using seeds. I've traditionally grown clones before. Also first time using grow tent. Usually grown indoor/outdoor mix.

A couple of questions:
    - How old are "old seeds"? I bought some seeds in Oct. 2023 and finally got around to germinating them. I'm assuming these are considered old.

- I've tried a couple of different methods. I tried planting directly into medium (coco) and had one seed sprout but ended up dying within 2 days. (this was before I had grow tent and controllable environment).

- Most recently, I germinated using cup of water method. I put three seeds in over 24 hours and all three showed signs of tap root just beginning to break through, but not completely. I didn't want to keep them too long in water so I moved them into grow medium (coco) and into grow tent. It's been two days and I've not seen any progress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	423
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	613592
    temp : 79 - 84 degrees F
    humid: 56 - 70&

Suggestions? Any other info needed?

Thanks!

Those seeds are not old if dried, handled & stored correctly.

Search H²O² germination techniques and combine it with paper towel methodology for best results.

Research has shown for highest success, germination temps are a wide window, 20⁰C to 30⁰C. I aim for 25⁰C until growing in medium then drop them down to 21⁰C, sometimes but not too critical.

Once transplanted into a moist medium I just keep humidity up under the domes. I think the biggest killer at this point is too hot medium or just simply too much love.

Edit. Have your cups got drain holes in the bottom? Just use plain water to spray or add a small amount of H²O² to the water for 200 to 1 ratio. It will assist to oxygenate them.
    Last edited by Bluey; 02-06-2024, 12:00 AM.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• noties
      noties commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, cups have drain holes. I haven't given them a whole lot of water to even drain out the holes I think, but I'm aiming at keeping the top pocket where the seed is damp/wet. Since my seeds are in medium already, does it make sense to add anything other than water? (H²O²)?
      Last edited by noties; 02-06-2024, 10:21 AM.

• golfnrl
      golfnrl commented
      Editing a comment
      My seeds get water only until sprout. I grow in coco and start nutrients at 1/4 strength once the cotyledon leaves are fully open. I keep the whole grow bag moist and wet during germination because the tap root grows down and I want it to find warmth and moisture everywhere, once it starts to grow. The sprouts go into their final home when the leaves have reached the sides of the grow bag. I hand water for about a week, starting at the center and working around the pot until the whole grow medium is moist. After the plants are established (leaves grown to the sides of the pot) in the autopot I turn the system on. I've used straight tap water, PH'd tap water, bottled water, water from the 'fridge,' and water that has sat out overnight. No problems.

It can take 3days or more before you see the sprout. Do not use fertilizer on them.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I have germinated seeds that are 10+ yrs old and yes they take a long time. All info sent is great what is your temp. where germinating just keep moist and be patient. If seeds were stored preferably under 75d. they should go. Good luck.

Comment

• Allenpro
        Allenpro commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, I keep mine in a medicine bottle in the fridge and never had a problem

Woohoo! I have a sprout!!! one of three so far.

So should I keep it under the dome? I have my light on at about 40% - (tested 150 PPFD) Light is SF1000. Tent 2 x 2 x 4.

Name:	image.png
Views:	309
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	613734

Attached Files

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be keeping it under a dome at that stage with a bit more light. You pretty much want 100% humidity until 1st true leaf has formed then I take the lids off my drink containers after about a week then I remove the domes and try and keep humidity up around 70%

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes like Bluey said keep the dome on and do not do not over water. They do better with less helps make those roots dig in, get the first set of leaf then remove the domes.

• noties
        noties commented
        Editing a comment
        I've kept them watered... maybe once every 1 - 1.5 days... but never water to runoff. just making sure it doesn't look dry on the top soil. Hope that's not overwatering.

I forgot to mention these are auto seeds [24K Gold] (if that matters). I'm excited. First time growing from seeds!

Comment

Hey thats great, I only grow from seeds. Do not overwater is critical listen to the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
          Those seeds are not old if dried, handled & stored correctly.

Search H²O² germination techniques and combine it with paper towel methodology for best results.

Research has shown for highest success, germination temps are a wide window, 20⁰C to 30⁰C. I aim for 25⁰C until growing in medium then drop them down to 21⁰C, sometimes but not too critical.

Once transplanted into a moist medium I just keep humidity up under the domes. I think the biggest killer at this point is too hot medium or just simply too much love.

Edit. Have your cups got drain holes in the bottom? Just use plain water to spray or add a small amount of H²O² to the water for 200 to 1 ratio. It will assist to oxygenate them.
          Not a fan of using H2O2.

Name:	Keffka bacteria C no h2o2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	613763

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Given the proliferation of the HLVd in North America, where these seeds I am growing came from, and a total absence of it where I am, allow me to quote your text.

"If a seed has been sterilised, it will not have microbes from the mother plant."

This was the primary purpose for me using H²O² solution on the seeds. It also had the added benefit of germinating faster than any canbabis seed I have ever germinated in my life. The 4 autos popped in about 12 hours and first true leaf appeared in a flash.

The papers I read on using this method, published by reputable North American Universities, indicated an across the board increase in successful germination, substantially so for older seeds.

It must be noted, however, that none of the papers were longitudinal studies. It only covered germination. I'm crossing my fingers they don't fall over and die in two weeks time.

We have a second sproutage this morning! Thank you everyone for the advice! I'll monitor and post more - no doubt I'll have more questions! It took about 3 days for the first sprout. The second one took almost 5 days. Still waiting on the last one.

Comment

I've used H202 and have had no issues but haven't seen any difference using it either. Of course not all seeds are the same good luck.

Comment

Woohoo! Had the third seed germinate yesterday! We're on our way. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Now just wondering when I should remove the little humidity domes and begin exposing them to nutrients. From what I've read, it sounds like maybe a few more days under the dome with just water/no nutes and then in a couple of days seedling strength nutes and removing the domes.

Comment

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep domes on until rooted which should be around 4 to 7 days, so 100% RH then vent the domes for another week so 80%RH

Yep water only during that first week, maybe longer.

Light around 150 to 200 PPFD.

Which is all I had to do but I had to push it hey.

21 to 23⁰C day time temps

• noties
                noties commented
                Editing a comment
                Venting... meaning either opening the bottle cap or poking holes in the dome?

Light is around 150-200 PPFD.

Tent temp is around 81F / 27C - struggling to bring it down without pulling down the humidity significantly.
                I may have to mess with my himidifier settings to balance. I've unplugged my seed mat so that's not longer generating heat.

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                Your temps are too high for seedlings. It doesn't matter if the humidity comes down in the room as they are under domes and that solves that.

Yes take the tops off or poke in a few holes in them.

Wait 7 days or a tad more then start liquid nutes if in coco at a very low dose. Some plants will handle 0.8 EC but most will stress or die at that level so try a bit under half that. Once you start nutes don't let it dry out, water once a day at least but don't saturate.

Been about 8-9 days and reporting in. I have two seedlings looking pretty good and one that seems to be stunted and contracting.

Was able to get temp down. (Added an intake computer fan)

TEMP: 74-76F
              HUMIDITY: 60%
              PPFD: 225

Seedlings still under domes (even though not pictured). Domes have small holes poked in them now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	614069
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	614070
              Attached Files

Comment

Figured I would update. It's been about 14-16 days since sprouting. We had one casualty of the three seeds. The one pictured above that doesn't look great just couldn't make it so I sent her to the grave.

However, the other two are doing alright. I think they're a bit stunted based on the days since sprouting, but maybe it's just me being critical.

Seedlings were transplanted to 4 gal. fabric pots on Feb.20th (day 13-ish)

One of the seedlings had a deformed second set of leaves, but the next sets are coming in quite large and strong!

The other little girl has been growing out quite slowly in perfect form... just small and slow.

I've slowly upped the ppfd to 550.
                In the tent:
                Avg temp:80F
                Avg RH: 46%

Tough to keep the temps down with the room temp and RH. Exhaust fan runs on low speed pretty much all day
                Room environment:
                Avg temp: 76F
                Avg RH: 50%

Don't have any complaints really at this time other than them seeming a bit stunted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	615169
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	615170
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	615171
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	615172
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	615173​ ​​
                Last edited by noties; 02-24-2024, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• noties
                  noties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the feedback! I've backed off the light a bit and put my humidifier back in to raise the humidity. I need to order a new one. It has a sensor for shutting itself off at differing humidity levels between 40% and 60%, but i've found that it sometimes just shuts itself off which is frustrating. I think I may go for the InfinityAC T3 and then I can place it outside my tent and feed in. I'm a bit space limited in a 2x2x4.

Bluey - I'm growing in coco.

• Bluey
                  Bluey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coco requires regular watering but you need to use very small amounts to avoid overwatering. The coco looks very wet.

Do not water to runoff. That can wait.

Do not use to high an EC. Half recommended should be fine

• noties
                  noties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. Thank you again for the feedback! Have not been watering to runoff. I had just watered a few minutes before the photos were taken. Still doing seedling strength nutes.

They do seem a bit small/stunted. I think you have have been a little early on the transplant. Good thing is mephisto genetics are generally very hearty and should power though. Nice job conquering the germination challenges. Next time will go even better. Best of luck! ✌️&💚

Comment

Another update incoming!

Left town for a four days and had the wife handle the plants and wow!! Maybe I should do that more often! Took the advice and raised the humidity back up by putting the humidifer back in.

I'm going to assume these little girls are in proper veg state now. I had the wife do one feeding of seedling strength water and the rest I had her just do tap water PH'd to 6.3 or so. I didn't want to go through the rigamarole of teaching her the nutes. And man... did it work!

Today is Day 20 (from first sprout).

PPFD is still steady 370. Considering upping the PPFD now as they seem to be maturing.
                  Also looking at getting into early veg state nutes?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	615630

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	615631
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	615632
                  Last edited by noties; 02-28-2024, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice job. Slow and steady around day 40 they may flower sometimes longer. They look very healthy. Congrats on having a partner who knows how to water and care for plants

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X