Gradual or fast flip ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gradual or fast flip ?

just wondering what the difference between going from 18 on 6 off, to 12/12 gradually over 4 weeks or just cutting back in one move. Thanks in advance

I read some article a long time ago about trying to mimic the natural sunlight change of the seasons indoors. The results were inconclusive if I remember correctly. I just flip them one day to 12/12 and never had an issue.

Comment

• Jimmynuetron
      Jimmynuetron commented
      Editing a comment
      If it makes no difference, I’ll just go 12/12 in one move then. Thanks

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Changing instantly is the go.

These plants popped up around Jan 1. The Strawberry Gary was a gift from the neighbor. Trying to have them finish at the end of April. Roads trip plans for May

Comment

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice little cupboard setup you have there.

Is that 16%RH?

• Jimmynuetron
      Jimmynuetron commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a stack of porcelain tile, for my patio, under the grow table with an infra red heater pointed at them. The heater set for 16c, yet it stays 20c all night. 30c with the light on. When I get a humidifier, it’ll be perfect.

Yes it is that dry. I need a humidifier. Been spraying them regularly

Comment

Day 21, I think if I flip them around Feb.20, they’ll be ready by the end of April. Sound about right ?

Comment

Dr. Bruce Bugbee suggests that gradual light increase and decrease has no effect on the plant. IOW, they don't need to grab a cup of coffee to get them going during the day. The moment light energy hits their leaves they start photosynthesizing.

Comment

I topped three growing companions for the strawberry plant, which I’ve tied down so the seedlings could catch up. 30 days since they surfaced, 14 days till the flip
        Attached Files

Comment

• Rootsruler
          Rootsruler commented
          Editing a comment
          I top at 5th node. Let them get around 18" tall, usually around 3 weeks from clone rooting, then I FIM all the sites I can before I flip the light schedule and defoliate them.

• Jimmynuetron
          Jimmynuetron commented
          Editing a comment
          My plan to flip Feb 15 is so they will be finish hung and dry before my planned road trip in May. Their growth stopped for three days after transplant, not sure why, but they’re taking off again. It’s been really dry here might by why.

Rootsruler , what is FIM ? I can’t let them go 18”, I’ll run out of height. But I can make them that wide before the flip.
        Last edited by Jimmynuetron; 02-05-2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          It stands for, "Fuck, I missed."

See "topping" & "manifilding' & "mainlining" in the tutorial sections of the website. Actually, try searching for "FIM."

• Rootsruler
          Rootsruler commented
          Editing a comment
          I ScrOG so in the main tent I let them get 18" or so before I put them under the net and spread out all the branches. Height is not my problem. Width is. I need more so I can harvest more but until I figure out where I can mount the other 5 x 5 tent I have sitting in a box I'll have to make due with the 5 x 5 I have.

FIMming is removing most of a new shoot but cut around halfway through rather than removing the entire thing. This multiplies new shoots which in turn multiplies bud sites. I do this around a week or two before I flip the lights to give them some time to develop the new sites and grow leaves big enough for me to remove when I do my before flip defoliation.

Like Bluey mentioned, there should be a tutorial on this if my description wasn't enough.

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          I choose to top but I train a bit differently to @rootsruler

My last two indoor photo grows I have LST from the moment the branches will take the weight of my soft flexible tie downs and work them outwards along the branches as she grows, which is typically after I've finished topping but I may top later for clones this time so start LST earlier than topping.

On flip I let them mostly stretch straight up just doing minor adjustments to try and keep them where I want them and keep the heights relatively even. I keep the tie downs on until stretch is complete and then after a bit I'll place the scrog net at the top of the stretch and work the colas to their squares.

Last grow they started falling over later in flower so ideally a 2nd scrog net is called for but I was scrogging an 8 x 6 area and just went for yoyos which worked fine. Much easier I thought. I had 24 yoyos which was about half that I needed so used anything I could find to keep them falling over.

Bluey I agree with your style. FIM kinda reads like Fuck I miss placed my scissors. I’ve solved the dryness by moving my Oreck room filter and humidifier into my grow closet, but the doors won’t close so I cut up a windshield sun viser with the shiny side in. There’s a grow store an hour east of here. When the pass is good I’ll go get a humidifier that fits my space...I use fly line
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jimmynuetron; 02-05-2024, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that an Aston Martin?

Johnny Lightning 69 Camaro

Comment

Snap, crackle, pop ! I imported some small flies on the Passion flower vine I had in the window. This mosquito trap is helping but I may need some sticky tape too. Rootsruler I here what you’re saying about the seed plant in the back left, but I’m giving preference to the clone for hight. At this point the seed plants are tag alongs. How long can I continue to bend after the flip ? Four days ago.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Jimmynuetron; 02-16-2024, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            No issues continuing to train after the flip and right throughout flower. I wouldn't supercrop unless you have no other choice

• Jimmynuetron
            Jimmynuetron commented
            Editing a comment
            I doubt that will be needed, I still have nine inches under my adjustable grow table without moving the tiles. Any thoughts on my fly issues

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Just use a fly trap

Squeezing C02 out of a candle. I’ve used propane and natural gas to produce it. This is my first try with a candle. Produces 10g/ hr. Is this enough to make a difference. Has anyone tried this ? Thoughts ?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a great idea re fire safety.

How can you burn a candle safely and have great air movement inside your grow space?

My grow room is reasonably well sealed and only has a 5% air changeover and only when the AC is running and that's heaps for happy plants.

If growing inside your house CO² levels will be higher than outside just because you are in there and that's heaps.

• Jimmynuetron
            Jimmynuetron commented
            Editing a comment
            The candle, below, and the oscillating fan above are both operating in the picture. C02 rises, fan distributes it. When the whole shed was grow, I used a 1000 watt HPS and a small propane unit on the whole room. Really boosts humidity. Makes a huge difference IMO

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Hot air rises.

CO² is quite heavy and drops like a lead balloon. You should drop CO² onto your plants from above.

Candles produce soot, sometimes lots of it. They also produce toxins.

What you are doing has the potential to burn your house down, kill all those within it, and void any insurance claim you may need to make.

Are the risks worth the return? Why not just pop one extra seed?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X