Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a 2x2x6' tent. Do I need an intake fan as well as an exhaust fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 2x2x6' tent. Do I need an intake fan as well as an exhaust fan?

Hello. Happy New Year. It has been awhile since I posted. I am about to purchase a 2'x2'x6' tent to upgrade my activities. I thought that I would also purchase a 6" fan for exhaust of hot air. Do I need to get an intake fan as well or will the negative pressure caused by the exhaust fan result in sufficient airflow in the tent?

I don't think you would need one. I have a 6" exhaust fan and if I close the vents it sucks the walls in. I would say your tent should be good alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrokill View Post
      I don't think you would need one. I have a 6" exhaust fan and if I close the vents it sucks the walls in. I would say your tent should be good alone.
      Thanks for the help. I thought an extraction fan was needed to help control heat buildup in the tent. I have a spider Farmer 100 w LED grow light which does not produce lots of heat but there is some. Not having to buy another fan would be good because I am not into spending lots of money. I have some equipment and this will be my 8th grow. Cheap is better though.

Comment

As long as your tent is breathable you should be good to go without an intake fan. In my 2×4 tent with vents closed the sides suck in so much they were crowding my plants so I made extra support poles out of metal conduit to hold the sides away from the canopy. Works great

Comment

Howdy hairyman I don't use a exaust fan just for my same size tent as your getting or got. I do have a oscilating fan on the outside for air movement to the inside. I can fit 4 photos in there but i choose to put 2-3max. I've run 6 autos in 3gal pots but that's tight. I'm getting ready to drop a couple photo seeds shortly. I've got dry indoor air in winter here i tend to focus more on upping humidity in my situation. Good luck man.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Originally posted by Orggrwr View Post
            As long as your tent is breathable you should be good to go without an intake fan. In my 2×4 tent with vents closed the sides suck in so much they were crowding my plants so I made extra support poles out of metal conduit to hold the sides away from the canopy. Works great
            Good Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
              Howdy hairyman I don't use a exaust fan just for my same size tent as your getting or got. I do have a oscilating fan on the outside for air movement to the inside. I can fit 4 photos in there but i choose to put 2-3max. I've run 6 autos in 3gal pots but that's tight. I'm getting ready to drop a couple photo seeds shortly. I've got dry indoor air in winter here i tend to focus more on upping humidity in my situation. Good luck man.
              Low humidity here too, so I will be trying to up the humidity as well. (Canadian Prairies in winter) The tent idea is new for me and with my new light setup Spider Farmer 1000 I am concerned about heat problems. I'll try fan and no fan and see what happens.Thanks for the help

Comment

Happy New Year hairyman
                In regards to your question, for a 2 x 2 x 6 sized tent, you can even get away with a 4in inline fan. You'll have to run it at a higher speed then you would need to run a 6in, but once it gets going, the negative air pressure will suck in fresh air through zippers, through vent holes, through those vent holes at the bottom of the tents, anywhere it can sneak in. I use a 6in for a 2 x 4 and a 4in for a 2 x 3 tent and they work perfectly.....a bit too well ....I broke some leaves when the fans were running higher. Might need those high CFM bars.
                Make sure the duct is in the top most home since heat rises, it will be the best place to suck up all the heat you don't need while the bottom brings in fresh air and you should be good to go.
                Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
                ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
                Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
                MAC1 (Blimburn)
                Tangie o' matic (420 Fast Buds) *autoflower
                Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
                T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
                🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

Comment

If it were me I'd put a 4" exhaust fan inside the tent. For that size tent you prolly won't need a 6" fan. I use a 4" AC Infinity fan in my 3x3x6 tent. The fan speed isn't excessive, I tend to keep it BTWN 4 and 7 on a scale of 1-10 for fan speed. The last grow the fan speed stayed around 5, again, not excessive. You want to exchange/exhaust the air inside your tent to help manage heat and because cannabis likes fresh breezy/moving air, right?
                  Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                  Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                  Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

IMO, you want to size the exhaust fan to the size tent you have. Generally, the rule of thumb is you want 1 - 3 air exchanges per minute. Your tent is 2 x 2 x 6 which means you have 24 cu/ft of air to exchange out of the tent, at minimum, every minute. If you go with the minimum then you want a fan that will move 24 cu/ft per minute. 24 x 3 = 72 cu/ft.

Of course this also depends on how much heat your equipment puts into the tent so you may want more exchanges but that is the general rule. An AC infinity T6 fan is rated at 406 cu/ft/min. T4 will put out 205 cu/ft/min. Even a T4 is a bit of overkill but will be fine. T6 is definitely overkill but will still work. I have a 5 x 5 and I use a T6 so you have a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by No3odiesShad0w View Post
                      Happy New Year hairyman
                      In regards to your question, for a 2 x 2 x 6 sized tent, you can even get away with a 4in inline fan. You'll have to run it at a higher speed then you would need to run a 6in, but once it gets going, the negative air pressure will suck in fresh air through zippers, through vent holes, through those vent holes at the bottom of the tents, anywhere it can sneak in. I use a 6in for a 2 x 4 and a 4in for a 2 x 3 tent and they work perfectly.....a bit too well ....I broke some leaves when the fans were running higher. Might need those high CFM bars.
                      Make sure the duct is in the top most home since heat rises, it will be the best place to suck up all the heat you don't need while the bottom brings in fresh air and you should be good to go.
                      Thanks for the info. Appreciated

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try a 4" exhaust fan and no intake fan and see how it works with my light.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X