Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL On Autos?

General questions on Autos

I see alot of people grow autoflowers. I don't understand the attraction. Lower yield and you can't clone them.

Is it just quicker to harvest?

What am I missing?
    Last edited by Mollisol; 12-03-2023, 05:06 PM.
    SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 X4
    AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
    AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
    FFOF Soil
    FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
    GH Flora Series
    3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
    Gelato Cake
    Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

I've grown photos for over 30 years.

Until last year I didn't know what an 'auto' was.

I'm giving it a go this grow and will see what the attraction is...maybe.

I think I'm open minded enough to remain impartial.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Lots of reasons. Indeed speed is one of them. I am obtaining the same yield as with photos. Grow timing is another, especially if you are a serial grower who likes to travel.
      Current Grow: 1 GG4, 2 Hot Cakes, 1 Sweet Gelato Autos
      3 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        OldManGrower your comment about "likes to travel" struck a cord with me. Photos are what I usually grow but timing with travel, especially last minute, has been challenging. I've grown autos a couple of times but yield and guality seem lacking. I grow indoors and maybe it's just my skills. What's your take on quality of autos vs photos?

Hmmm.... I'm going to have to give auto's a try. I just bought mango sherbet photos from a local shop @ $10 a seed. I planted 1/2 of them.

I will top them all. And start the tops as clones.

But still. Working with seeded plants is so much easier!

Where as clones are kinda of a shit show.
      SF 35X47X70 tent
      SF1000 X4
      AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
      AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
      FFOF Soil
      FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
      GH Flora Series
      3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
      Gelato Cake
      Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Clones guarantee less yield no matter how you look at it.

If you fine growers want AUTO's go over to Going2fast post !!!!free seeds!!!! hes giving away some nice ones. I cant play till next round. He needs 3 more!!

Comment

Autos do better indoor than they do outdoor, light timing is not as critical as with photos. IF/When you have problems with an auto it affects yields directly, where a photo can be recovered, cloned, reveged.
        But one can go 12/12s with the photo at 3-5 weeks old and have a shorter faster crop, as fast as many autos.
        When looking at seed look for the size the plant is supposed to get. Some are intended to be only 12" tall (60 days) at harvest while others can get 6' tall (120+ days), the shorter is faster to the finish line usually.

Comment

I can do a run in under 90 days. Autos are just as potent as photos. I love finding different terps. Yields are about the same but don't take 120+ days. The colors man the colors. Got about 16 of my own crossed and counting and all the parents were from fire breeders. And yes got three spots left on the seed giveaway. Just got to have at least a 100 post count, not gotten this family of crosses from me before and be in the USA or Canada. Head on over there and check it out and my journal I'm doing on these.
          Ok now that the photo run is done let’s get back to the roots. As in auto roots. Did enjoy my first indoor photo run but the returns weren’t there and I knew this going in. Sugarcane isn’t a big producer. Very runtzish looking buds. Frostiest buds I’ve ever grown for real. In House are legit. Of course had to do some pollen

Yeah that got your attention huh. Considering it's giving Tuesday and I just received some stamps from a giving individual on this forum let's pay it forward shall we. I will give a puck of my cake auto fems to the first 5 dibs I get. A few rules as always. You have to have at least a 100 post count. If you have received the
          Last edited by Going2fast; 12-05-2023, 02:12 PM.
          keeping it green with the soil thing
          love me some frosty autos
          braap
          BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
          Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
          the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
          blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

The yields are about the same as photos, only autos are done in 90ish day (60-120). I also like that you can have plants at multiple stages all on the same light schedule. The other thing for me is I need the 18hrs of light during my fall grow for heat reasons (i grow in the garage).

edit: forgot to mention that the breeder has a lot to do with the outcome. Look into Mephisto and Twenty20, they both have mind blowing autos.

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I will have to disagree on yields, I have never seen an auto produce as much as a photo, I mean how can a 12-18 inch tall plant produce as much as a 12+ foot tall plant?

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe he means they yield about the same if given the same time frame?

• bdeegan
              bdeegan commented
              Editing a comment
              So I think I should clarify my post. Yes, bluey, it is considering all things (space, time, etc) are the same. I’ve never spent 2+ months veg/training a photo. I run my photos for 6weeks veg and 8-10weeks flower depending on strain. I do one photo and one auto run per year. My overall tent yields are the same on my photo and auto runs. I am certain if I spent the time to veg and train I could get way more off the photos but I’ve never tried. I will say that biggest downfall of the autos is the lack of recovery time if they do get stunted. Cloning is cool but so is pulling 2.5oz of stickey off of a 75day old 16” plant

Yeah let's keep this in perspective. No one is growing a 12 foot tall plant in 90 days. My 90 day autos will outperform a 120 day photo every time. You aren't getting much off of a plant that vegged for 20 days.
            keeping it green with the soil thing
            love me some frosty autos
            braap
            BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
            Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
            the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
            blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Sixwinds
              Sixwinds commented
              Editing a comment
              IDK I do a short veg cycle on my photos (about 26 - 30 days) and get a decent yield. Last harvest a few days ago was 13.4 oz from one photo plant. Total grow time was 112 days.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X